How to use the new TV section

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
For the longest time, we've had discussions about TV in our Off Topic section. Some of the most active off-topic threads were about great TV shows, which make for great discussions. Starting today, we've moved those discussions into a dedicated forum category – TV Shows. If this were simply a new forum category, that wouldn't be terribly exciting, but wait...

The forum is built specifically with your favorite shows in mind. When a new thread is added, you'll be asked for an associated link at The Movie Database. Paste the full URL and your newly created TV show thread will pull all of the relevant information about a particular show.

Screen Shot 2014-08-05 at 4.38.53 PM.png

This includes cover art, show creator, genre, cast and more.

Screen Shot 2014-08-05 at 4.39.33 PM.png

Members can rate TV shows as well on a scale of 1-5. This will appear at the top right of the thread. The show thread will provide relevant information, rating and how many people have rated the program.

Screen Shot 2014-08-05 at 4.40.55 PM.png

Ultimately, this is a discussion forum and discussions regarding the TV shows can happen within the show thread. As with the Off Topic threads, these can and often will include spoilers. Where possible, try and be courteous to fellow members. We do have spoiler tag options when posting, but they are not supported on the app.

The individual threads can also support episode links. So you can post a link to a specific episode and it'll grab the synopsis, etc. Ideal for discussion. Visit themoviedb.com for your program, select season and drill down to a specific episode. This website URL can be inserted into a thread.
Screen Shot 2014-08-05 at 5.19.00 PM.png

On our forums, this will end up looking like this:
Screen Shot 2014-08-05 at 5.21.20 PM.png

Again, members are welcome to create new TV Shows. To keep things tidy, I'd ask that you setup your thread using the method outlined above. If you have questions or need help, don't hesitate to ask.

Enjoy the new TV section!

Attachments

Last edited:

silvermoon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 17, 2013
Washington
I was checking out the TV section for The Walking Dead. Do you only see the ratings for the show and the additional features when you first create a thread for a new TV show?

It seems to be fixed. Just yesterday, I saw markup code so I didn't think it was quite ready.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
When you first enter the TV section or a particular show, you'll see ratings, if they exist. Within a show, members can enter their ratings. You should have the option at the top right of the thread, there is a drop down for rating.

Anyone can add a show, but they need to follow the guidelines in order to have it populate the cover art, ratings and synopsis. That's as a simple as adding the appropriate link from themoviedb.org.

That will create a show where other members can rate and discuss.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
This wouldn't work with IMDb or rotten tomatoes? If not, why not just post links to them? They are the gold standards for user and critic ratings and movie and TV show information. Many of us have no interest in alternate sites with a smaller pool of reviewers and non-complex algorithms for ratings.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
This wouldn't work with IMDb or rotten tomatoes? If not, why not just post links to them? They are the gold standards for user and critic ratings and movie and TV show information. Many of us have no interest in alternate sites with a smaller pool of reviewers and non-complex algorithms for ratings.
It doesn't pull ratings. The ratings are here for members. Sure, I would definitely recommend Rotten Tomatoes or MetaCritic for reviews. This plugin allows for a more polished TV thread. No more, no less. Cover art, synopsis, cast. Just sprucing up an otherwise typical thread.

I'd definitely recommend thread starters link out to the review sites.