how to view a .rtf file

mb190e

Bronze
Dec 3, 2007
my wife gets this file emailed to her from work and can't open it on the iPhone. she wants to switch to a B***k B***y because other people at work with that phone can view it. Please help me save my wife. I had to zip the file to attach the file.

Scott

Last edited by a moderator:

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I am testing for you now. I do know that a .doc word document is viewable from the iPhone, but it's possible that a rich text file was not setup in the mail programs.
Hang on, just got the email I sent myself.... I was able to open it fine. The formatting was a little off, but I could open it and follow it.
How is you wife retrieving her mail? I sent it to my gmail account, which is setup IMAP under Other in the Mail configuration. If she is setup for corporate mail with an exchange account, this should still work for her.

One last question. What version firmware is she using? I am on 3.0

mb190e

Bronze
Dec 3, 2007
She has a V1 running 2.2 I have the new 3GS running 3.0 her email I cant remember what it is but its not Gmail, Yahoo or anything like that. She sent it to my Gmail account and I can’t open it.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
She has a V1 running 2.2 I have the new 3GS running 3.0 her email I cant remember what it is but its not Gmail, Yahoo or anything like that. She sent it to my Gmail account and I can’t open it.
Strange. I was able to open it just fine... Maybe something is happening in translation from one email account to another.
Unless she's unlocked or jailbroken, I suggest she update to the new 3.0 software, delete her mail account and set it back up manually and try again.

mb190e

Bronze
Dec 3, 2007
We plan on updating to 3.0 but it doesn’t work on my 3GS and I just took it out of the box yesterday. That’s why we tried it because if it worked on mine she was going to upgrade. Did you change the rtf to doc?

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
We plan on updating to 3.0 but it doesn’t work on my 3GS and I just took it out of the box yesterday. That’s why we tried it because if it worked on mine she was going to upgrade. Did you change the rtf to doc?
You cannot change the file type in the email. I have a Gmail account setup under Other using IMAP settings. when I emailed it to myself, I received the email, when I tapped it the email open and there was a box showing the file name and size versus the % downloaded. I clicked on the file, it downloaded and opened. I saw the document, the formatting was a little off, not lining up with the header exactly, but it was there and readable.
RTF 002.jpg
RTF 001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

mb190e

Bronze
Dec 3, 2007
What am I am doing wrong? I deleted both of my Gmail accounts reset them up using imap and I’m still getting This document can’t be viewed the file format is invalid

photo.jpg

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Damn... I don't know man. It's supposed to be able to see it. Maybe if you go into mail on the PC and launch it...I have no idea. I have never opened a RTF before, so I am unsure as to why I can now, unless it's something to do with Google Docs. Try importing it to Google Docs and see what happens after you sync your mail again.

mb190e

Bronze
Dec 3, 2007
OK there is an app for that ReaddleDocs its 4.99 and it works thanks for the help.