how tough is iPhone? is this right for me?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

darktone

Bronze
Jul 29, 2007
How strong is an iPhone? I am a mechanic and I treat my phones kind of rough. I really like the internet capabilities of this phone and I would really enjoy this at work since I put in such long hours and am away from the internet- I do a lot of ebay sales also and this would be great for that as well. I see there are a few covers and screen protectors available. What if I drop my iPhone? what if I drop my iPhone in a bucket of water?( I did this with my last phone and it strill works after it dried out for a day or two).
Also since I have Sprint now what's involved in changing to AT&T? I will need my old phone number too- can that be changed instantly? Thanks!

zeluiz22

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
How strong is an iPhone? I am a mechanic and I treat my phones kind of rough. I really like the internet capabilities of this phone and I would really enjoy this at work since I put in such long hours and am away from the internet- I do a lot of ebay sales also and this would be great for that as well. I see there are a few covers and screen protectors available. What if I drop my iPhone? what if I drop my iPhone in a bucket of water?( I did this with my last phone and it strill works after it dried out for a day or two).
Also since I have Sprint now what's involved in changing to AT&T? I will need my old phone number too- can that be changed instantly? Thanks!
Spend 8 bucks on a bestskinsever for scratch protection to the body and its pretty tough. If you drop you phone a lot add a silicon skin for shock absorption. Compared to the Treos I've owned, this phone seems to be able to take more abuse.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I wouldn't say it's more durable than a Treo. I dropped my Treo a dozen or so times before it showed so much as a scratch. I dropped my iPhone twice and twice it got dented. So I now have a rubber skin on my iPhone, and a screen protector, and feel somewhat safer.

Would not expect the iPhone to function after a drop into a bucket of water though (nor a Treo).

--
Mike

Silverado

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
IMO, the iPhone needs to be babied or it will get scratched very easily. If you think you'll drop it a lot, I'd look for another phone. The fact that AT&T doesn't insure it while they insure pretty much every other phone should tell you something.

kdarling

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, NC, CO
I was a mech decades ago.

If you carry it on your person, it won't last long, I'd say.

Either you'll crack the front glass, or you'll get it wet. Either means a $250 bill to repair / replace.

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
i do side construction work and i usually leave ti in the car but once i get the iskin revo i might take it with me to the site.. just a thought the revo is a nice case...

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
I dropped mine on a concrete sidewalk. It was encased in a Speck rubber case. Not a single scratch, and no dents. This from a brisk walk and drop of about 3 feet. So the drop had some good speed to it.

The revo case would be for you. It has a plexi type shield if you want to carry it in a pocket, and from what I can tell, the ports are all covered by rubber. The shield comes off, of course, when you need to use the phone.

Martlet

Bronze
Jul 11, 2007
Saw an Apple salesman take his house key out of his pocket, grab a bare iPhone, and scratch it quickly all over the glass while pressing down hard.

Not a mark (he didn't scratch the non-glass surfaces, obviously).

It's tough, but it's only glass. Any harder material will scratch it (the key was a brass key I think). Any hard impact will crack it. Things softer than glass (but harder than plastic) will scratch the plastics around the glass.

You'll want to take out some insurance against your daily wear and tear. Get a screen film just to be safe. If you want to protect the plastics for cosmetic reasons, get a film that covers all of it.

Use a case for impact protection. Get a holster/slip case to protect it from impacts while carrying it. If you're likely to bang it while using it, get a permanent covering.

Don't be afraid to combine things. The gel cases might protect it from impacts, but not from any grit that works its way inside the case... if you work all day with sand, metal filings, etc. put a full body skin on the iPhone, then put it in a gel case for impact protection. For total protection, put a full body film on it for scratch protection, then put a gel case on it for protection while using it, and keep it in a hard/holster/slip case when not in use to protect it from you forgetting where you put it and knocking it on the floor or banging your metal toolbox down on it.

Insure it! Get a rider through your home owners insurance before you take it to the construction site. Anything you take to a construction site will eventually have a freak accident, so cover all your bases. Films, skins, and cases are just to limit the times it get's broken to the more freakish accidents instead of a daily occurrence in an abusive environment!

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Don't be afraid to combine things. The gel cases might protect it from impacts, but not from any grit that works its way inside the case... if you work all day with sand, metal filings, etc. put a full body skin on the iPhone, then put it in a gel case for impact protection. For total protection, put a full body film on it for scratch protection, then put a gel case on it for protection while using it, and keep it in a hard/holster/slip case when not in use...
LOL, this is exactly the approach I am taking. After nearly losing my iPhone off my motorcycle I am now looking for better protection (it fell off; received a small dent in a corner, but luckily no real damage) I

I have the Incase rubber sleeve, but plan on adding a Best Skins Ever skin too. Already have a Crystal film on the screen (excellent product, IMO).

Finally, the holster I use (found it at a Hastings--it's generic) fits my iPhone, with the Incase on, perfectly.

With all of this I sure hope I am well-protected!

I am going with the Best Skins Ever skin mainly to protect against scratches from the Incase sleeve.

--
Mike