How "unhacked" will restoring make the phone?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
First, I want to express my admiration and appreciation for anyone who took the time and made the effort to create native apps on the iPhone. As a software engineer and a former Mac developer (mid to late 80s on the original Macs), I am impressed that you were able to get so many cool things working with a minimal amount of documentation and support from Apple. I have been enjoying the fruits of some of your labors, particularly from Summerboard and a few customizing apps. However, I have decided to unhack my phone primarily due to instability problems.

After upgrading to 1.1.1, I waited until mods could be applied to it and did the jailbreaking thing a couple of weeks ago but recently have noticed an increase in Safari and iPod app crashes so I'm going to restore to 1.1.1. My question is how much of the hacking will the restore remove? I wonder about this because after my initial restore, I still had a wallpaper that was put on by Summeboard. I changed it out using the General settings but it made me think that maybe there were still some extraneous files in there that may continue to cause problems. Does anyone know if restoring will completely wipe out any left over files from the native apps that I installed and if not, is there a way to do that?

Stevonw

Silver
Sep 14, 2007
UK
First, I want to express my admiration and appreciation for anyone who took the time and made the effort to create native apps on the iPhone. As a software engineer and a former Mac developer (mid to late 80s on the original Macs), I am impressed that you were able to get so many cool things working with a minimal amount of documentation and support from Apple. I have been enjoying the fruits of some of your labors, particularly from Summerboard and a few customizing apps. However, I have decided to unhack my phone primarily due to instability problems.

After upgrading to 1.1.1, I waited until mods could be applied to it and did the jailbreaking thing a couple of weeks ago but recently have noticed an increase in Safari and iPod app crashes so I'm going to restore to 1.1.1. My question is how much of the hacking will the restore remove? I wonder about this because after my initial restore, I still had a wallpaper that was put on by Summeboard. I changed it out using the General settings but it made me think that maybe there were still some extraneous files in there that may continue to cause problems. Does anyone know if restoring will completely wipe out any left over files from the native apps that I installed and if not, is there a way to do that?
Restoring will defo wipe all custom apps and will remove the jailbreak files.