How will we know when AT&T enables MMS

jpetty337

Nov 19, 2008
TX
Does anyone here in EIC know how we will know when MMS is activated for ATT customers. Will it be an update through iTunes? Maybe a text or e-mail from ATT? Any information or in-sight would be great. I have contacted customer service and have asked reps at different ATT stores and always get the corporate answer "sometime late summer" and "don't know how customers will be notified it is on-line" This whole no MMS for US ATT customers in starting to were thin on my nerves!

Thanks in advance for everyone's help (except for AT&T's)!:mad:

jpetty337

Nov 19, 2008
TX
OK Thanks, I kind of thought that myself to but thought since APPLE has enabled it already I didn't know if an iTunes update would do it. Didn't think AT&t network type updates came through iTunes. I'll keep an eye on my iTunes account then, Thanks again

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
How will we know when att enables mms
When someone sends you a picture and AT&T doesn't taunt you with a random code and a worthless link.

dirt_mover3g

Bronze
Nov 3, 2008
You could always try sending a picture to your friends.
How are we supposed to try and send a picture when the icons don't even show up on the phone yet? And from what I've heard it's just a carrier update that we have to perform when it is available. You will have to connect through iTunes in order to get it, but it will not be an Apple software update (ie. 3.1) because Apple has already enabled the feature on the phone, AT&T just has to activate on their end. And when AT&T does, it will bring up the mms options in the messaging app.

jpetty337

Nov 19, 2008
TX
You mean those worthless links that don't work anymore, or rarely worked! It's bad enough we had to use the dumb viewmymessage but now that dosent even work
I'd love to send pics to my friends but ATT forgot to put a camera icon in my SMS

jpetty337

Nov 19, 2008
TX
So the consensus is through iTunes even though Apple has enabled? How would ATT do update through iTunes? Guess their linked for our convienence! How nice of ATT to put the customer first

dirt_mover3g

Bronze
Nov 3, 2008
Yes we are all at the mercy of AT&T lol, but when you plug your phone into iTunes it will alert you that the carrier has issued an update and will then prompt you to install it. And yes I thought it was pretty stupid to disable the viewmymessage service now that we have copy and paste. Oh well it will be here soon enough, just a few more weeks.

jpetty337

Nov 19, 2008
TX
Yeah we've waited this long I guess what's a few more weeks, or months knowing how ATT operated

GSXRMike

Silver
Jun 21, 2009
Saint Augustine, FL
Sorry if this has been beat to death but are they gonna charge extra for MMS? If so...that's f****d up. Between my wifes' iPhone and mine, our bill is damn near $200 a month as it is already.

Plastikfear

Bronze
Jan 15, 2009
Somewhere over the rainbow
I am curious.. I just plugged the phone to iTunes and it said iTunes will check for another software date on 6/27/09. Could this be the date or is this just a random interval that iTunes periodically checks? Late summer is so arbitrary that we know not to fully count on it...

That is just a date that is set in comparison to last time it checked. Usually like a week from the last time althought mine has been a little inconsistent. You can always check manually. From what I remember from the last carrier update, it was pushed, meaning even if your automatic check date is 6-27-09, it will recognize your iPhone and alert you with a message about the carrier update.

Turbofans

Jun 21, 2009
Sorry if this has been beat to death but are they gonna charge extra for MMS? If so...that's f****d up. Between my wifes' iPhone and mine, our bill is damn near $200 a month as it is already.
Well, look on the bright side. I am guessing that you and your wife are paying about $178.00 per month for both iPhones. That's $89.00 a month for each iPhone with unlimited data & text, if you have the 700 minute family package. That's not bad for me and my wife because of the fact that we axed our land line.

Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
MMS will be no extra charge from the text messaging plan (if) you subscribe to. And AT&T will do a carrier update through iTunes like they did when they changed the 3G symbol. You will find out when its posted on giz or engadget or mac rumors after someone hits "update" in iTunes, freaks out and posts it everywhere.

iPhoneMonster

Bronze
Jan 18, 2009
I think it will be one of those quick carrier update things. Just got one here in aus.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
It's beyond beating a dead horse. It's more like beating a dead Jigsaw (SAW). Apple didn't want to include it in the first place, probably because we can now send pics for free with email. But, everyone complained so much that they eventually caved. And now, we're back to square one and actually complaining that we have to pay for, when we always did before?

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
It's beyond beating a dead horse. It's more like beating a dead Jigsaw (SAW). Apple didn't want to include it in the first place, probably because we can now send pics for free with email. But, everyone complained so much that they eventually caved. And now, we're back to square one and actually complaining that we have to pay for, when we always did before?
say wha? i can't recall the last time I paid for MMS? every plan I've had in at least the last 5 years with either Sprint, Verizon, or AT&T has included MMS with the text plan.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
It's not free, you have to pay for the texting plan. If you use email to mail a pic, you aren't paying anything in addition to your data plan. If you don't have a text plan, you'll have to pay individually for the MMS or the SMS. If you do have a text plan, you are just paying for them in bulk.