How would you improve the experience here in our iPhone and iPad forums?

Dec 10, 2009
Clarksburg, WV
Ya should have said yes, u heard my frustration and busted your hump to make that happen.
I woulda thought you were even cooler, boss! ;)

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I feel 50/50 on Ivan's point on off topic posts. I find I enjoy 'techie' and on-topic threads but also many of the off-topic ones - though I do agree that in an ideal world the balance would be better / more tilted towards on-topic.

I like the recent trend to posting threads for new site blog posts. I think these could and should lead to more good discussions in their threads, but many of them don't seem to get much attention. Maybe if each thread had an excerpt from the post or a bit of summary info perhaps that would spur more conversation on those threads. It feels like they deserve more conversation.
Due my increased paranoia related to how Google is performing their updates, I've had to move away from doing this for now. I'm thinking of how we can utilize the news section moving forward and/or it comes down to simply manual posting of stories either in News or iPhone/iPad.

The integration was fairly good, but still had some wonky parts. Broken links to authors, duplicate content being the major offenders. It also removed the ability to optimize the blog for speed, also a Google indicator.

To those other then Patrick (who has a number of sites and goes through the same pains), sorry for all the inside baseball stuff. Figured it's important to share why things happen the way they do. There is usually some method to my madness.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
If it were just the fact that the Google juice started to prefer the forum post over the blog post, I'd suggest trying to set the canonical link for the thread to point to the site as the preferred version of the page. Not sure how easy XenForo would make that, though.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
If it were just the fact that the Google juice started to prefer the forum post over the blog post, I'd suggest trying to set the canonical link for the thread to point to the site as the preferred version of the page. Not sure how easy XenForo would make that, though.
Requested it from the dev in January. Nothing. :(

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Due my increased paranoia related to how Google is performing their updates, I've had to move away from doing this for now. I'm thinking of how we can utilize the news section moving forward and/or it comes down to simply manual posting of stories either in News or iPhone/iPad.

The integration was fairly good, but still had some wonky parts. Broken links to authors, duplicate content being the major offenders. It also removed the ability to optimize the blog for speed, also a Google indicator.

To those other then Patrick (who has a number of sites and goes through the same pains), sorry for all the inside baseball stuff. Figured it's important to share why things happen the way they do. There is usually some method to my madness.
Sorry to hear it but totally understand.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
A good mobile template is miles ahead of everything else, IMO. I'm not a fan of forum apps since they always have too many limitations, and navigating and typing on the full site on the iPhone isn't optimal.

Also, is there any way to move the panel of ratings (informative, like, funny, etc.)? It's too close to the reply button and I just accidentally clicked the bad spelling button on someone's post and I had to go back through all of my posts to find out where I had inadvertently clicked it. The only reason I even noticed it was because I was on my profile page and it said I had given 1 bad spelling rating. I'll definitely be more careful in the future, but it's right underneath the reply button and I bet I'm not the first person to accidentally click it.

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
A good mobile template is miles ahead of everything else, IMO. I'm not a fan of forum apps since they always have too many limitations, and navigating and typing on the full site on the iPhone isn't optimal.

Also, is there any way to move the panel of ratings (informative, like, funny, etc.)? It's too close to the reply button and I just accidentally clicked the bad spelling button on someone's post and I had to go back through all of my posts to find out where I had inadvertently clicked it. The only reason I even noticed it was because I was on my profile page and it said I had given 1 bad spelling rating. I'll definitely be more careful in the future, but it's right underneath the reply button and I bet I'm not the first person to accidentally click it.
While app applications at times are limiting they do prove to be ideal for the "average" user. Simple to navigate and use. The more experienced user or someone who spends more time on the site will find the app lacking an prefer the safari version more.
Both are needed for different groups of people.

(how long had I been since you saw a Mindi reply followed by a ray reply?)

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I agree with Navi about seeing off-topic posts in "What's New."

That is my biggest hindrance at this site.

But I am not sure it needs to be an all or nothing thing. Nor is it just off-topic section threads that I might not want to see in the What's New feed.

What I would love, is a way to ignore a thread so it no longer shows up in What's New (but would show in the forum itself). So, for example, if I no longer wanted to see the 5-year-old iPhone 1 photo thread I could do that.

If I am not interested in hockey I could ignore that thread.

This would work well for me as I could still see the off-topic section posts that I do want to follow--but maybe am not subscribed to.

Michael

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I agree with Navi about seeing off-topic posts in "What's New."

That is my biggest hindrance at this site.

But I am not sure it needs to be an all or nothing thing. Nor is it just off-topic section threads that I might not want to see in the What's New feed.

What I would love, is a way to ignore a thread so it no longer shows up in What's New (but would show in the forum itself). So, for example, if I no longer wanted to see the 5-year-old iPhone 1 photo thread I could do that.

If I am not interested in hockey I could ignore that thread.

This would work well for me as I could still see the off-topic section posts that I do want to follow--but maybe am not subscribed to.

Michael
I would love to ignore threads. It would be nice to have a bespoke, 'What's New?' list.

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
I agree on the ignore thread feature.
But I'm not gonna post this 3 times or anything :rolleyes:

:D

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
There is new mobile beta. At the bottom left corner is where you an switch templates. Select 'Mobile Beta' on your iPhone.

Note: The forum software saves template on a profile basis and not on a machine basis. I'd prefer the latter, but that's not the case. So when you return to your desktop machine or iPad, then you'll need to repeat the process and select eic.

I might create an auto-switch to redirect those visiting on an iPhone to the Mobile Beta. I'm trying to see if there is a way I can do that, but in an opposite case scenario.

Not perfect. Not the mobile site I've been promising, but a stop gap that might work for many of you.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
There is new mobile beta. At the bottom left corner is where you an switch templates. Select 'Mobile Beta' on your iPhone.

Note: The forum software saves template on a profile basis and not on a machine basis. I'd prefer the latter, but that's not the case. So when you return to your desktop machine or iPad, then you'll need to repeat the process and select eic.

I might create an auto-switch to redirect those visiting on an iPhone to the Mobile Beta. I'm trying to see if there is a way I can do that, but in an opposite case scenario.

Not perfect. Not the mobile site I've been promising, but a stop gap that might work for many of you.
Do you need any beta testers?

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Do you need any beta testers?
Not really testers. It's there for those interested. I'll keep it in place until a better alternative comes around. For now, there are three four options:
  1. Full website
  2. Full website optimized (no overlays, social sharing)
  3. Free App
  4. Mobile Beta

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah

Thanks. It should be the default. Any way to make it device-specific in the future? Switching back and forth is going to be a hassle.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
While app applications at times are limiting they do prove to be ideal for the "average" user. Simple to navigate and use. The more experienced user or someone who spends more time on the site will find the app lacking an prefer the safari version more.
Both are needed for different groups of people.

(how long had I been since you saw a Mindi reply followed by a ray reply?)
Not for the average user who jailbreaks. ;)

Good to see you here, BTW!

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Thanks. It should be the default. Any way to make it device-specific in the future? Switching back and forth is going to be a hassle.
I can implement the switch to Mobile without a problem. I'm working on seeing if there is a solution to switch to the default template when hitting the site with a desktop browser.

Good to hear you like the mobile version. The moderator tools are also significantly improved on that template.