How's the Internet browser gonna be?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

dietPEPSI

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
Its one of the biggest reasons i want one of these...

Is it gonna be extremely slow? Is it gonna be fast?

And after the original 600$ im gonna be paying what additional fees am i gonna be paying?

Last edited by a moderator:

Twinnie

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
Fast under a wifi connection, slow in most other places.

I'm wondering whether or not it can actually access mobile internet. It's not as useless as Apple would like to have you believe.

mjeagent

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Northern Virginia
Internet has been reported to be slow using AT&T's network - mainly because the phone is not 3G capable. But, reports have also said that it works marvelous on wifi - so, if you have your house setup with a wireless router you are good to go at home, and nowadays there a plenty of places to find wifi access around town (airports, cafes, etc.).

As far as additional costs - there is a $36 one time activation fee. At sale AT&T loves to add-on their features, like roadside assistance, etc. These features are usually free for 30 or 90 days but then you get charged for them if you forget to cancel. Other than that, the only other costs you should incure are those related to accessories, and blinging out your iPhone (God, I wonder how long it takes for us to see one with all those crystals).

Mike

dietPEPSI

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
[quote=mjeagent@aol.com;27847]Internet has been reported to be slow using AT&T's network - mainly because the phone is not 3G capable. But, reports have also said that it works marvelous on wifi - so, if you have your house setup with a wireless router you are good to go at home, and nowadays there a plenty of places to find wifi access around town (airports, cafes, etc.).

As far as additional costs - there is a $36 one time activation fee. At sale AT&T loves to add-on their features, like roadside assistance, etc. These features are usually free for 30 or 90 days but then you get charged for them if you forget to cancel. Other than that, the only other costs you should incure are those related to accessories, and blinging out your iPhone (God, I wonder how long it takes for us to see one with all those crystals).

Mike[/quote]

well....how slow? Like not even worth going on slow? Or like a dial up computer slow? Im not sure....and am i gonna have to search for a wi-fi point everywhere i go? Or does it automatically pick up signals for me?

mjeagent

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Northern Virginia
I don't think anyone can really say "how slow" until we can get our hands on it. There are also different variables that will play into how fast your internet connection will be - strength of signal, etc. From what we have read on various reviews, it seems as though the overall experience was somewhere around dial-up speed.
Altough, there have been some recent posts that show that as recently as yesterday a dramatic increase in the speed of EDGE.
As far as WIFI, I believe it automatically sets you up for WIFI if a signal is available. Not sure if it will ask you for informaiton (ie. password, permission to logon, security preferences, etc.).

I am pretty sure the activiation fee will be $36 and that will show up on your first months bill.

Mike