How's your battery life?

urbanblue

Jul 7, 2007
I don't know if its me but I feel as though I am having to charge my iPhone too often compared to the "official" stats and what other users are reporting.

I need to charge every day and generally am getting 4-4 1/2 hours usage, with the rest being standby. It's a fairly even distribution of calls and iPod with light email and SMS. I have auto-brightness turned off and wi-fi autoseek off also.

What are you seeing?

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
Mine is pretty decent. I would like it to be better but there is always an outlet/computer

brianhyp

Bronze
Jun 6, 2007
I'm not getting no where near the eight hours usage Apple claims I've been getting four to six hours if I'm lucky and it takes me forever to charge like two to three hours. Im not happy with the battery life but over all i love the phone

CLOUDHOPPER

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
4-6 hours usage as well. I wish it wouldn't keep checking for emails once you're in your email box. That kills the battery.

itsabouttime

Silver
Feb 18, 2007
San Antonio, Tx.
I just called Apple and complained about poor battery life and "time since last charge" has never worked. They are gonna send me a box to return my iPhone and they will send a NEW replacement shortly thereafter.

urbanblue

Jul 7, 2007
I'm not getting no where near the eight hours usage Apple claims I've been getting four to six hours if I'm lucky and it takes me forever to charge like two to three hours. Im not happy with the battery life but over all i love the phone
Yes I love mine too, I just want to make sure it's doing what it should! :). Sounds like similar stats to me - nowhere near what Apple states, and yes it does take a long time to fully charge.

alpinelegacy06

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
i get around 4-5 hours with bluetooth off, wifi manual search, autobrightness on, few calls, light email, moderate txting, and moderate ipod. battery life reminds me of my psp which is collecting dust ever since i got the iPhone.

DRabbit

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
Thursday night was the last time I charged (charged overnight and took it off the dock Friday morning). I'll get the rest of today out of it until it needs to go back to the charger. It'll be about 36 hours off the charger/AC.

Biggest keys are to turn bluetooth off and wifi off when you're not using them. I have found EDGE to be fast enough to do e-mail, so I leave WiFi completely off unless I need to browse the web. When I started leaving both off I started getting MUCH better battery life.

I have autobrightness on, but I have the brightness setting turned down a little.

urbanblue

Jul 7, 2007
Thursday night was the last time I charged (charged overnight and took it off the dock Friday morning). I'll get the rest of today out of it until it needs to go back to the charger. It'll be about 36 hours off the charger/AC.

Biggest keys are to turn bluetooth off and wifi off when you're not using them. I have found EDGE to be fast enough to do e-mail, so I leave WiFi completely off unless I need to browse the web. When I started leaving both off I started getting MUCH better battery life.

I have autobrightness on, but I have the brightness setting turned down a little.
That sounds like substantially more. How would you describe your usage? What are your current usage stats reporting now?

jda182

Bronze
Jun 16, 2007
I just called Apple and complained about poor battery life and "time since last charge" has never worked. They are gonna send me a box to return my iPhone and they will send a NEW replacement shortly thereafter.
are you letting it fully charge? when its charging the battery indicator in the top right of the home screen will have a lightning bolt in the middle of the picture of the battery, when its done the lightning bolt will change to look like a plug you put into an electrical socket. the "time since last charge" only works after a full charge and resets when you recharge it fully again.

but right now my usage says 1 hour and 48 minutes and ive been listening to music through the speakers on the bottom and been on the internet for most of that and i was on the phone for about 10 minutes of that and i still have a full battery, the icon in the top right has not changed, still shows full.

ive been on wifi but have bluetooth turned off

DRabbit

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
That sounds like substantially more. How would you describe your usage? What are your current usage stats reporting now?
Hahahaha... that is the ONLY problem I have with the phone... no matter how I've charged it, and with trying resets and restores I still can't get usage stats to work. I went to the Genius Bar today and he was ready to swap it out for a new one for me, but because I have no other problems I didn't want to. I told him to give me a few more days to try to get it working myself.

I would describe my usage as "moderate". Yesterday was probably a pretty typical day for. Sent and received a bunch of text messages (maybe 20-30). Sent and received a bunch of e-mails (about 15) using EDGE. Hubby and I Looked up something on the net while at the diner (EDGE). 4-5 short phone calls. Short demo (about 5 minutes) of all the features to a guy at work (again, on EDGE). Set up a calendar appointment. Checked weather twice. I had bluetooth turned on for about 3 hours (scattered throughout the day) while in the car. I don't think I turned WiFi on at all because I didn't need it, or it wasn't available when I did (like in the diner).

Last night it was at about 60-70% when I went to bed. I turned it off completely when I went to sleep (about 2am). It went on again at 8am this morning). Now it's at about 40%. Haven't used it much today other than to look up something on the net while we were at breakfast (hubby and I are loving the ability to look up news items since we discuss current events a lot). A few text messages today. Took a photo at the mall. And the Apple Genius played with it to try and figure out the usage stats thing (he never docked it or plugged it in).

Let me say, this is the kind of usage I was doing PRIOR to turning WiFi off (what I'd call "moderate") and I was barely getting through the day without needing a charge. I'd go from 8 or 9 in the moring until about 8 or 9 at night and I'd be getting warning to charge it. Once I turned WiFi and BT off, that changed... PARTICULARLY the WiFi.

iphonenotify

Bronze
Jun 6, 2007
Im happy with mine it gets me through the day no matter how much i use it. My old iPhone had nowhere as good of a battery as my new one.

urbanblue

Jul 7, 2007
Hahahaha... that is the ONLY problem I have with the phone... no matter how I've charged it, and with trying resets and restores I still can't get usage stats to work. I went to the Genius Bar today and he was ready to swap it out for a new one for me, but because I have no other problems I didn't want to. I told him to give me a few more days to try to get it working myself.

I would describe my usage as "moderate". Yesterday was probably a pretty typical day for. Sent and received a bunch of text messages (maybe 20-30). Sent and received a bunch of e-mails (about 15) using EDGE. Hubby and I Looked up something on the net while at the diner (EDGE). 4-5 short phone calls. Short demo (about 5 minutes) of all the features to a guy at work (again, on EDGE). Set up a calendar appointment. Checked weather twice. I had bluetooth turned on for about 3 hours (scattered throughout the day) while in the car. I don't think I turned WiFi on at all because I didn't need it, or it wasn't available when I did (like in the diner).

Last night it was at about 60-70% when I went to bed. Now it's at about 40%. Haven't used it much today other than to look up something on the net while we were at breakfast (hubby and I are loving the ability to look up news items since we discuss current events a lot). A few text messages today. Took a photo at the mall. And the Apple Genius played with it to try and figure out the usage stats thing (he never docked it or plugged it in).

Let me say, this is the kind of usage I was doing PRIOR to turning WiFi off (what I'd call "moderate") and I was barely getting through the day without needing a charge. I'd go from 8 or 9 in the moring until about 8 or 9 at night and I'd be getting warning to charge it. Once I turned WiFi and BT off, that changed... PARTICULARLY the WiFi.
Sounds like Wi-Fi off made a big difference for you. I had originally done that then reverted to just having the wi-fi auto-seek feature turned off as this is what Apple had specified in their official tests.

Good luck in getting your usage stats going!

itsabouttime

Silver
Feb 18, 2007
San Antonio, Tx.
are you letting it fully charge? when its charging the battery indicator in the top right of the home screen will have a lightning bolt in the middle of the picture of the battery, when its done the lightning bolt will change to look like a plug you put into an electrical socket. the "time since last charge" only works after a full charge and resets when you recharge it fully again.

but right now my usage says 1 hour and 48 minutes and ive been listening to music through the speakers on the bottom and been on the internet for most of that and i was on the phone for about 10 minutes of that and i still have a full battery, the icon in the top right has not changed, still shows full.

ive been on wifi but have bluetooth turned off

Yes, I have been waiting until the lightning bolt changes to the plug icon, yet it still won't show anything in the usage field, just shows dashes as it has from day one despite multiple full charges.
I took my phone off of the charger this morning at about 5am, and with minimal use today, the battery is at slightly less than half.

jda182

Bronze
Jun 16, 2007
Yes, I have been waiting until the lightning bolt changes to the plug icon, yet it still won't show anything in the usage field, just shows dashes as it has from day one despite multiple full charges.
I took my phone off of the charger this morning at about 5am, and with minimal use today, the battery is at slightly less than half.

hmm have you made sure that all your setting are set to conserve battery life, turn on auto brightness on the screen, turn bluetooth and wifi off when not using them, if so sounds like a bad battery and might need to take it back and get a new one.

itsabouttime

Silver
Feb 18, 2007
San Antonio, Tx.
hmm have you made sure that all your setting are set to conserve battery life, turn on auto brightness on the screen, turn bluetooth and wifi off when not using them, if so sounds like a bad battery and might need to take it back and get a new one.
Yes, all my settings are set for battery life, and as I stated earlier in this post, I have already made arrangements with Apple to replace my phone, thanks for the suggestions.

urbanblue

Jul 7, 2007
So, I wanted to report back on how some changes have significantly improved my battery life. Here's what I did:

1. Turned off Wi-Fi
2. Turned brightness down to about 25% (it sounds low but I can still see the screen quite easily). Auto brightness is on.
3. Turned off email auto-checking. It checks fine manually when I open the mail app.

After yesterday I got to over a day of standby time with over 5 hours of usage. (There was minimal iPod usage in that time).

Last night on the advice of Apple, I powered down my phone before charging via the wall adapter. I'll let you know where I get this time. Also, it seems that reports of conditioning the battery are correct as I am getting improved performance on each subsequent charge.