How's your iPhone 5S battery life?

Discussion in 'iPhone 5S' started by raqball, Mar 6, 2013.

1. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

Figured I'd be the 1st to ask! :-P

Sorry, I could not resist the urge...

2. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

Don't know about the 5S, but I have been surfing this forum and a few websites for an hour now on my 5, and my battery went from 100% to 71%!

Sent Using iCafe App

3. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

Yikes. And, you're on LTE, right? I'm sick of LTE battery drain.

4. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

Actually no. Am in Washington visiting family, no Wi-Fi and very slow 4G. I have turned off LTE, and deleted about a half-dozen Apps and tweaks.

Sent Using iCafe App

5. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

I have what you call a tethered iPhone. Tethered to an AC Outlet!

Sent Using iCafe App

6. MyRichLife

MyRichLife Zealot
    Gold

Wouldn't it be so nice that Apple and their battery manufacture people place would come out with a extended battery that extends battery life while using WIFI, 4G LTE and whatever that drains the battery.

Just my two nuggets.

:D

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

They could easily do that, but it would increase the size, weight and cost of the phone. A thin, light-weight iPhone is more of a priority to Apple than a battery that lasts longer than the current one. I think their goal is to get people through the day without having to charge because most people charge it at night. I think they meet that goal for most people.

8. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

Wouldn't it be nice if Apple would quit worrying about making the iPhone as thin as a credit card and pay more attention to putting a bigger battery in it. A big enough jump that people would quit talking and worrying about the battery life. Like a 600 mAh jump instead 50 to 100.

Sent Using iCafe App

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Because thinness and weight matters to most people. Have you forgotten about the thinnest smartphone in the world debate a year or so ago? The 4S ultimately won because the Android (SGS3, I think) wasn't uniformly shaped, which made it thinner in some areas but overall thicker when you measured the area with maximum thickness. I'm sure the iPhone 5 holds the record now. If Apple made a phone that was thicker than the 3GS, they could add a battery that extends the usage time between charging, but people would complain that it's thicker than old iPhones. It's just gotta get most people through the day (because they can charge at night) to make Apple happy, and I think the iPhone 5 does.

10. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

The 4 & 4S were fine IMO. The iPhone has never gained in battery life. It is increased an iota every year to barely cover the increased needs of additional computing power. The iPhone could still be the belle of the ball if it lasted two full days without charging, even though it wasn't the thinnest in the world!

Sent Using iCafe App

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I didn't say the battery life increased. Again, it would have to be thicker than the 4S. It can't maintain the thinnest phone status and significantly increase battery life at the same time. Two full days means a battery that's twice as big. It would be quite a bit thicker (mm matter in the cell phone world) and it would increase the cost of the phone as well (even going from $199 to $215 would be a big deal to a lot of people).

12. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Battery tech has lagged behind that of other consumer electronics for a long time. Until a breakthrough is made in battery tech, we're pretty much stuck with the device dimensions we have.

13. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

Well the 5 at 1440 mAh increased only 10 mAh over the 4S. Coupled with the addition of LTE equals a negative battery life from the previous year. Compare that with the Motorola Razr Maxx HD at 3300 mAh, with a less efficient operating system. Not saying I want to switch, just saying Apple needs more balance. Thinner is not THE most important quality in a smartphone. Just because it was debated, does not mean it is that significant in the overall scheme.

Sent Using iCafe App

14. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Of course it's not the most important factor. I think almost anyone would choose the OS and build quality/design over thickness. My point was that it would be a compromise and size, weight and cost would all be affected by a larger battery.

15. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

I agree with everything you said. Except Motorola seems to be able to put that big of a battery in the unit, which is less efficient, uglier and not as well engineered or designed (though not that much thicker). I guess I'm just sensing a little bit of a post Steve Jobs lack of innovation. Heck, they might be better off if they went out and hired someone like Ryan Petrich.

Sent Using iCafe App

16. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Ryan is a software developer. Why would he be able to figure out how to fit a bigger battery into the same size phone without compromizing other features/specs when Apple's engineers can't? I think Apple is doing pretty well with the design and engineering of the internal components. The iPhone is packed very tightly and efficiently; it would be difficult to top it with the same size of casing. Like you said, the Motorola lacks in some other areas and it isn't quite as thin. IMO, the iPhone has about the same amount of innovation from one phone to the next when Steve Jobs was on board as it does now.

17. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

Oh absolutely, the iPhone is the best engineered and designed smart phone available. No one puts more technology and efficiency in a smaller space than Apple. My point is they should take all that knowledge and be able to build a smaller phone than the Motorola with almost as big a battery, but they choose not to. And they choose not to Include something like biteSMS, or action menu, or SBSettings or on and on. They did hire the Dev from the Notification Center tweak, which may be the biggest innovation in the last two software versions! They certainly have the capital to at least BUY the innovates, which they are not doing from a software standpoint. Be honest, when is the last hardware or iOS with which you were WOWED! It's tough when you're number one, but it may not last forever.

Sent Using iCafe App

18. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You seem convinved that it's simple but they just can't be bothered and you're not factoring in the cons I've mentioned, so we'll just have to agree to disagree here.

I'm not going to comment on the Cydia apps and software disapproval (by Apple) because I have way too much to say about it and I'd take this thread off topic.

19. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

Sorry if I am a little growly. Have been in Wenatchee Washington for almost 2 weeks. On 4G with a 2 MB download and 1 MB upload, if lucky. Hotspots in town are not much better. Mom's Internet is 84 Kbs dial up. Obviously no wifi. I am on severe technology withdrawal!

Sent Using iCafe App

20. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

Mindi, you are the best to discuss/debate with. Always even keeled.

Sent Using iCafe App