How's your iPhone 5S battery life?

Lon

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 5, 2010
Alaska
I would have more to say, but my data connection is so slow I can barely dictate this. I have almost given up on typing!

Sent Using iCafe App

MyRichLife

Zealot
Gold
Nov 19, 2009
South Florida.
They could easily do that, but it would increase the size, weight and cost of the phone. A thin, light-weight iPhone is more of a priority to Apple than a battery that lasts longer than the current one. I think their goal is to get people through the day without having to charge because most people charge it at night. I think they meet that goal for most people.
I would like to see Apple or the supplier of the battery they use put in a heavy duty battery/extended that extends the battery life so the person can use their phone a lot more for Navigation, Phone use, text, emails and 4G LTE. I know they make portable battery chargers like the Mophie Juice Pack Power Station Pro & Mophie battery case phones people can buy which I do have the Mophie Power Station Pro from Mophie that I use when I'm on the road or when my battery drains.

I wish they would have a bigger battery in the phones.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
I would like to see Apple or the supplier of the battery they use put in a heavy duty battery/extended that extends the battery life so the person can use their phone a lot more for Navigation, Phone use, text, emails and 4G LTE. I know they make portable battery chargers like the Mophie Juice Pack Power Station Pro & Mophie battery case phones people can buy which I do have the Mophie Power Station Pro from Mophie that I use when I'm on the road or when my battery drains.

I wish they would have a bigger battery in the phones.
I myself would be willing to have a slightly thicker/heavier iPhone in exchange for a longer-lasting battery.

It's a real shame that Moore's Law doesn't apply to batteries. :)

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
They could easily do that, but it would increase the size, weight and cost of the phone. A thin, light-weight iPhone is more of a priority to Apple than a battery that lasts longer than the current one. I think their goal is to get people through the day without having to charge because most people charge it at night. I think they meet that goal for most people.
I charge my phone at night, BUT, if I use it in an area that has LTE my phone will not make it to the night without being charged once before. So, I think their goal is incorrect. This might have been the case with all the previous phones that did not use LTE. They should've stepped up their game when deciding to allow this phone to use LTE and looked at the battery capacity.

Zanthe

#apple
Gold
Aug 9, 2007
The battery life on my 5S is awful. Just saying'.

I'm gonna return it and wait for the iP6. :whistle:

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
It's kinda hard for me to relate to this battery life obsession that some people have. Do you guys spend most of the day out in the wilderness or away from outlets? I don't see the big deal since there are outlets at home, at work, at other people's houses and 12 volts or USB ports in cars. I keep a wall adapter and Lightning cable in my car and another at work and a small portable Mophie charger in my purse, but I rarely have to use them. I top off throughout the day when I'm home and charge at night and that almost always gets me through the day.

Zanthe

#apple
Gold
Aug 9, 2007
Do you guys spend most of the day out in the wilderness or away from outlets?
rofl4.gif

My battery works fine. It lasts all day every day so what more do I need? I charge it every night and it's ready to rock 'n roll the next morning. Still waiting for the iP6 with the supernatural battery! :D

AdamDaieh

Bronze
Jan 17, 2013
California
I don't really know but I'm not having an issue with the battery of my phone right now. Maybe I'm not really using it all day.

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
It's kinda hard for me to relate to this battery life obsession that some people have. Do you guys spend most of the day out in the wilderness or away from outlets? I don't see the big deal since there are outlets at home, at work, at other people's houses and 12 volts or USB ports in cars. I keep a wall adapter and Lightning cable in my car and another at work and a small portable Mophie charger in my purse, but I rarely have to use them. I top off throughout the day when I'm home and charge at night and that almost always gets me through the day.
Up until yesterday, Yes! :ROFLMAO: Than, I invested in a second lightning cable. Now I have one at home and one in the car. If I need to charge while at work, I can go out to the car and bring it in.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
It's kinda hard for me to relate to this battery life obsession that some people have.
Personally, the reason I obsess about maximizing the duration of every battery charge is not fear of running out of juice, but rather, fear of degrading the performance of my battery through repeated charge/discharge cycles. The battery isn't user-replaceable, and I'm more likely to ship myself to a South American country to get brain surgery on the cheap than I am to ship my iPhone to Apple itself for a battery replacement.

I'm fully aware that the iPhone 5 uses lithium polymer batteries, better than lithium-ion and certainly better than the older Ni-Cd batteries, but still... the fact remains that the number of charge/discharge cycles is finite.

Sure, it's likely I'll get a newer model before the degradation of my battery becomes noticeable, but until that happens, I like keeping my battery in tip-top shape!

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
I don't really know but I'm not having an issue with the battery of my phone right now. Maybe I'm not really using it all day.
Even in your jailbroken state? That is truly awesome. Jb'ing has come a long way...:)

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
I discovered something today:

If I'm charging my phone using the lightning cable and a car adapter, in a LTE area, and using Google Maps, the battery strength doesn't advance, it just maintains, but the back of the phone gets hot.

Once I'm out of the LTE area, the battery charges and advances.

This proves that LTE uses more battery than the charger can charge.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Personally, the reason I obsess about maximizing the duration of every battery charge is not fear of running out of juice, but rather, fear of degrading the performance of my battery through repeated charge/discharge cycles. The battery isn't user-replaceable, and I'm more likely to ship myself to a South American country to get brain surgery on the cheap than I am to ship my iPhone to Apple itself for a battery replacement.

I'm fully aware that the iPhone 5 uses lithium polymer batteries, better than lithium-ion and certainly better than the older Ni-Cd batteries, but still... the fact remains that the number of charge/discharge cycles is finite.

Sure, it's likely I'll get a newer model before the degradation of my battery becomes noticeable, but until that happens, I like keeping my battery in tip-top shape!
I don't think that's an issue unless you keep the same phone for more than three years. Do you keep yours that long? AppleCare+ is awesome (damage replacements, free shipping, etc.) and it covers the phone for two years, though it's unlikely you'd have battery problems in that time frame.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Personally, the reason I obsess about maximizing the duration of every battery charge is not fear of running out of juice, but rather, fear of degrading the performance of my battery through repeated charge/discharge cycles.
How long do you keep a phone, Rafagon? Unless you keep a phone for three years or more, there's very little chance of noticeably degrading the battery. Remember, charge cycles refer to full charge cycles, not the little top-off charges we do all the time.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Well, I've had every model except the 3G, so I guess I keep them one year. But the "worry" part of my brain must be abnormally large or something. It's reassuring to hear that one year's worth of usage shouldn't result in noticeable degradation of battery performance. Hopefully it can finally sink into my brain!

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
I discovered something today:

If I'm charging my phone using the lightning cable and a car adapter, in a LTE area, and using Google Maps, the battery strength doesn't advance, it just maintains, but the back of the phone gets hot.

Once I'm out of the LTE area, the battery charges and advances.

This proves that LTE uses more battery than the charger can charge.
There are other factors besides LTE when you're in the car - temperature being one of them, especially if it's sunny. If the phone gets hot, it'll stop charging to prevent damage to the battery, LTE or not. If you're using the phone at full brightness in the car as well, that uses plenty of power and thus generates plenty of heat. Also, if your car charger doesn't do the full 1 amp of USB charging current that an iPhone demands, it won't take much to use as much power as the adapter can supply, and bring charging to a crawl

Provided there aren't any heat issues stopping it from charging, it takes some effort to use more power than even the full 1 amp charger can supply. I managed to do it once. Brightness up to full, set to do GPS navigating, have some podcasts playing in the background, and playing a 3d game output to my iMac screen via AirPlay (so, lots of GPU activity and wifi traffic). That was flat out insane.

Oh, and Skype is also a battery hog in my experience.

My two cents: big battery good. I would rather have a phone thicker than the 3GS and heavier than the 4S if it meant I could go through the whole day without charging, no matter what I was doing to it.

Sure, I can (and do) charge up every few hours at home, at work, in my car, and carry a portable charger in case I need it. But ideally, I don't want to have to worry about charging it every few hours. And sometimes I forget, and it dies, leaving me phoneless for a while (gasp). If they basically integrated a Mophie juice pack plus into it (minus all the extra trimmings the case itself needs), I'd be thrilled.

Then again, I'm cool with whatever. Gimme moar GPU power and I won't mind that it only has enough battery life to get from one outlet to the next. Matching the PS Vita in GPU horsepower isn't enough. I demand a GTX 690 in my next iPhone so I can play Crysis. :)

In any case, it boggles my mind how much we can do with such little devices (the motherboard is the size of a stick of gum!), and how quickly it turns into us wanting more of it. More battery. More GPU. More pixels. More screen size. More toothpaste dispensers. Let us simply bask in the joy of using a pocketable supercomputer.

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
There are other factors besides LTE when you're in the car - temperature being one of them, especially if it's sunny. If the phone gets hot, it'll stop charging to prevent damage to the battery, LTE or not. If you're using the phone at full brightness in the car as well, that uses plenty of power and thus generates plenty of heat. Also, if your car charger doesn't do the full 1 amp of USB charging current that an iPhone demands, it won't take much to use as much power as the adapter can supply, and bring charging to a crawl

Provided there aren't any heat issues stopping it from charging, it takes some effort to use more power than even the full 1 amp charger can supply. I managed to do it once. Brightness up to full, set to do GPS navigating, have some podcasts playing in the background, and playing a 3d game output to my iMac screen via AirPlay (so, lots of GPU activity and wifi traffic). That was flat out insane.
This is what I have. I don't see any specs as to what the amperage is. I'll go look at the unit myself. I use it with the OEM lightning to USB cable.

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
This is what I have. I don't see any specs as to what the amperage is. I'll go look at the unit myself. I use it with the OEM lightning to USB cable.
I just checked and my Griffin PowerJolt has a 2 amp mini blade removable fuse in the side. So, it should be able to provide the full 1 amp of USB charging current.