HSPA+ and LTE

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Mthoroughbred

Zealot
Silver
Dec 16, 2008
I'm using an iPhone 5. And I want to know what is the difference between HSPA+ and LTE. I'm on AT&T right now and my speeds on LTE are 32Mbps. What I want to know is if you can get speeds of up to 42Mbps on hspa+. How am I getting 32mbps on LTE and still be considered LTE? When hspa+ can get me the speeds I'm getting on LTE right now?

Sent using iCafe app

Jerome G

Bronze
Jul 12, 2010
I'm using an iPhone 5. And I want to know what is the difference between HSPA+ and LTE. I'm on AT&T right now and my speeds on LTE are 32Mbps. What I want to know is if you can get speeds of up to 42Mbps on hspa+. How am I getting 32mbps on LTE and still be considered LTE? When hspa+ can get me the speeds I'm getting on LTE right now?

Sent using iCafe app
Because you can get up to 100 on LTE (I think). The LTE/4G/3G symbols are not a reflection of the download speeds you are getting.
The LTE symbol just means you are connected to an LTE tower, the speed will vary depending on the signal strength.
That being said, 32 is pretty fast. Faster than a lot of people's wifi.
Is it too slow for you ?

Sent using iCafe app

Mthoroughbred

Zealot
Silver
Dec 16, 2008
Because you can get up to 100 on LTE (I think).
The LTE symbol just means you are connected to an LTE tower, the speed will vary depending on the signal strength.
That being said, 32 is pretty fast. Faster than a lot of people's wifi.
Is it too slow for you ?

Sent using iCafe app
No. By no means is this a complaint lol. I was just wondering if hspa+ can get speeds of up 42mbps what is the difference between LTE and HSPA+ both getting the same speeds?

Sent using iCafe app

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
No, HSPA+ isn't as fast as LTE. Have you tried disabling LTE and doing a speedtest? HSPA+ will probably will be 12 Mbps or lower.

Mthoroughbred

Zealot
Silver
Dec 16, 2008
No, HSPA+ isn't as fast as LTE. Have you tried disabling LTE and doing a speedtest? HSPA+ will probably will be 12 Mbps or lower.
I have also gotten those speeds when my phone say its on LTE. But my question is if my LTE network gets me around 14mbps and my girlfriend's phone gets the same speeds on hspa+ what's the difference there?

Sent using iCafe app

Chancellor

Contributor
Bronze
May 28, 2011
If memory serves me right from long ago reading, they're both just fancy ways of saying "upgraded tdma or theoretical speeds of 4g so we can advertise it as such".

As a sprint user I only see 3G :-(.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I have also gotten those speeds when my phone say its on LTE. But my question is if my LTE network gets me around 14mbps and my girlfriend's phone gets the same speeds on hspa+ what's the difference there?
The difference is it's about 3x faster. You're getting 14 Mbps on HSPA+ vs. 42Mbps on LTE.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
If memory serves me right from long ago reading, they're both just fancy ways of saying "upgraded tdma or theoretical speeds of 4g so we can advertise it as such".

As a sprint user I only see 3G :-(.
Theoretical is the key word! I routinely get faster speeds on 4G than I do on LTE. I just ran a test and got my usual lousy results. My area must have horrible signal dynamics or something.

ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1364530615.241079.jpg

ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1364530625.741147.jpg

Sorry about the double screenshot post. I'll try to fix it tomorrow when I'm back on my desktop's browser.

Attachments

Mthoroughbred

Zealot
Silver
Dec 16, 2008
My question is if you have a phone that's LTE but its only getting speeds of 9-14mbps and you compare it to another phone that's not LTE but hspa+ with the same speeds what is the difference between both phones?

Sent using iCafe app

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I read your original post again and you said your LTE speed was 32 and then you asked if you can get 42. Now you're saying you're getting 9-14. To answer your first question, yes, you can get 42 in many areas. As far as your second question, if you only get 9-14, it may be comparable to the HSPA+ speeds in your area. The bottom line is that LTE speeds average higher than HSPA+. If you consistently get faster HSPA+ speeds, you can disable LTE, but I doubt that's going to happen.

Mthoroughbred

Zealot
Silver
Dec 16, 2008
I read your original post again and you said your LTE speed was 32 and then you asked if you can get 42. Now you're saying you're getting 9-14. To answer your first question, yes, you can get 42 is many areas. As far as your second question, if you only get 9-14, it may be comparable to the HSPA+ speeds in your area. The bottom line is that LTE speeds average higher than HSPA+. If you consistently get faster HSPA+ speeds, you can disable LTE, but I doubt that's going to happen.
I'm using that as an example I never asked if I can get 42. And I do get 32mbps LTE speeds the 9-14 was an example I was using. So what you're saying if your hspa+ speeds are 14 and you LTE speeds are also 14 then there's no difference in those speeds?

Sent using iCafe app

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Correct. If both are exactly 14 then they are the same speed, but it will always choose LTE if LTE is enabled even if LTE is slightly lower.

Okay, so you get 32. What speeds do you actually get on HSPA+ if the 9-14 was just an example? I think that will answer your question.

LTE is usually faster. I've never heard of anyone getting anywhere near 32 on HSPA+.

Mthoroughbred

Zealot
Silver
Dec 16, 2008
Look at Rafagon's pics that they posted. My question is if LTE can go as low as 4g speeds why does it still say LTE in the device?

Sent using iCafe app

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Look at Rafagon's pics that they posted. My question is if LTE can go as low as 4g speeds why does it still say LTE in the device?
I think I finally understand your question. You're asking why it doesn't fall back to HSPA+ those rare times that it's actually faster than LTE. It's because it stays on LTE if LTE is available since LTE is typically much faster. But it's not foolproof; there will be occasional instances when HSPA+ is slightly higher. It isn't programmed to fall back like that due to speeds. It doesn't constantly run its own network speedtests and choose the faster of the two. It would confuse people and the speeds are constantly changing anyway. It wouldn't be worth it to disable it altogether unless it was consistently slower - and that's unlikely.

Mthoroughbred

Zealot
Silver
Dec 16, 2008
I think I finally understand your question. You're asking why it doesn't fall back to HSPA+ those rare times that it's actually faster than LTE. It's because it stays on LTE if LTE is available since LTE is typically much faster. But it's not foolproof; there will be occasional instances when HSPA+ is slightly higher. It isn't programmed to fall back like that due to speeds. It doesn't constantly run its own network speedtests and choose the faster of the two. It would confuse people and the speeds are constantly changing anyway. It wouldn't be worth it to disable it altogether unless it was consistently slower - and that's unlikely.
Yep that's exactly where I was getting at. Sry about the confusion but I myself was confused lol. Thanks again :)

Sent using iCafe app