Huge improvement in Safari coming soon?

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
This article is from February, but is noteworthy nonetheless. It discusses huge improvements currently being worked on and experienced in Webkit, Safari's pre-beta relase version. Speculation is for a release date around the time of the new 3g iPhone, or summer, whichever comes first. I am sure if this is the case, they will offer these improvements to all of us as a software upgrade.

Here is the link: http://blogs.computerworld.com/safari_is_about_to_get_crazy_fast

jptolife

Silver
Jul 15, 2007
New York City
That browser is pretty fast but kept on freezing my whole computer. I would advise to stay away from it until it gets even better.

lman

Silver
Oct 18, 2007
Yeah safari has been freezing my computer so i switched to firefox...but i am pretty sure it froze often because my computer is old and slowly dying.

Would this new stuff be implemented on the iPhone? I didn't read the article that closely yet.

Tarmac

Mar 29, 2008
can Firefox develop an iPhone browser without legal consequence?

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
um
i would assume they would be able to as long as they don't sell it
firefox is the greatest browser out there

which reminds me: i read an article on firefox making a mobile browser for a specific phone (i think it was a nokia phone)

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I've never had problems with Safari, and I cannot stand Firefox. It's ugly, slow, and all around poorly built. Of course, I also hate Internet Explorer, but everybody does.

- John

xcissexc

Aug 9, 2007
I've never had problems with Safari, and I cannot stand Firefox. It's ugly, slow, and all around poorly built. Of course, I also hate Internet Explorer, but everybody does.

- John
wow if you switch the words firefox and safari in your post you have my exact opinion. i tried the windows version of safari and it was worse than ie. it was the slowest thing i have ever used and had no functions in comparison to firefox.

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
Of course this version that is being worked on is pre-beta, so modifications will be made prior to its release. The more exciting thing for us I think is the implementation of this into the iPhone. As many of us know already, page rendering can be the biggest factor in how fast a page loads on the iPhone. This was shown in a comparison piece somewhere that showed an iPhone on edge and a nokia on 3g loading pages almost at the same time, since the browser on the nokia sucked.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia

- John
When I still had my PC laptops and on my PC desktop I tried using Safari and it worked great but Firefox was still faster. Now that I'm using a mac, I couldn't imagine switching back to Firefox. It's so much faster and a ton more aesthetically pleasing. Don't even get me started on Internet Explorer. I haven't used that in ages.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
When I still had my PC laptops and on my PC desktop I tried using Safari and it worked great but Firefox was still faster. Now that I'm using a mac, I couldn't imagine switching back to Firefox. It's so much faster and a ton more aesthetically pleasing. Don't even get me started on Internet Explorer. I haven't used that in ages.
yeah i heard the same thing from people who tried safari on PC
i have a PC so im strictly firefox - cant stand IE
i carry around a flash drive with firefox on it so i can use it on all computers lol

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
yeah i heard the same thing from people who tried safari on PC
i have a PC so im strictly firefox - cant stand IE
i carry around a flash drive with firefox on it so i can use it on all computers lol
Believe it or not, Safari on the PC was still better than IE. Safari beat IE on it's own turf! It was much faster. But, Safari would not load a crapload of websites. It would say there was some type of error. So in the end it sucked on the PC. But, when it worked, it kicked IE's ass.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
i believe it

i just think that firefox is better on the pc than safari
but even firefox cant access a few sites such as the microsoft update site
thats why i have an ie extension for firefox :)

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
w00t
but isn't 6000ms just 6 seconds?
so that means instead of 9 seconds to load a page, it will be 6 seconds?