HUGE iPhone Purchase at Apple Store Last Night

mjeagent

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Northern Virginia
Was at the Tysons Corner, VA Apple Store last night. I was there to buy a sports armband for my new IPod Nano (courtesy of Mr. Jobs' $100 credit x 2).
Anyway, there was guy behind me in line...about 40 years old and waiting very patiently. I purchased my armband and he came up behind me to the same checkout counter. I was fiddling with my bag and receipt when I heard him udder the words "I need to purchase 51 iPhones."
That is a lot of iPhones. Funny thing is that there was no reaction from the sales rep/checkout guy. He simply opened the drawer below his register and began to pull each one out. Wiped out the black AMEX and he was on his way.
Hope he doesn't have to activate them all himself!

NoHomo

Sep 9, 2007
hows he posed to carry 51 iPhones come on now

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Was at the Tysons Corner, VA Apple Store last night. I was there to buy a sports armband for my new IPod Nano (courtesy of Mr. Jobs' $100 credit x 2).
Anyway, there was guy behind me in line...about 40 years old and waiting very patiently. I purchased my armband and he came up behind me to the same checkout counter. I was fiddling with my bag and receipt when I heard him udder the words "I need to purchase 51 iPhones."
That is a lot of iPhones. Funny thing is that there was no reaction from the sales rep/checkout guy. He simply opened the drawer below his register and began to pull each one out. Wiped out the black AMEX and he was on his way.
With tax that would be over $20,000... Are you sure about this?

J-Sauce

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
With tax that would be over $20,000... Are you sure about this?
Many businessses believe that in order to portray the most professional image, is to have their employees looking as clean, and up-to-date as possible.

This is the reason so many companies spend millions of dollars to have their employees driving luxury cars. The last thing a major corporation wants it for an employee to roll up to a businesss deal in a pento.

Or to be caught exchanging contacts with his...sidekick.

There are not many registered private black card users. The majority are businessses.

Besides....they get a major tax write off.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
I didn't think a lot of businessses were buying iPhones since there's no businesss plan discount for the iPhone yet. This has always made me upset, since I qualify for the businesss discount but not while I own the iPhone.

J-Sauce

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
I didn't think a lot of businessses were buying iPhones since there's no businesss plan discount for the iPhone yet. This has always made me upset, since I qualify for the businesss discount but not while I own the iPhone.
Well, it could just be a super high class corporation.

Then again....maybe the dude just has a big family ?

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
Many businessses believe that in order to portray the most professional image, is to have their employees looking as clean, and up-to-date as possible.

This is the reason so many companies spend millions of dollars to have their employees driving luxury cars. The last thing a major corporation wants it for an employee to roll up to a businesss deal in a pento.

There are not many registered private black card users. The majority are businessses.

I totally agree. Could this be an early Christmas bonus for 51 lucky employees?

Jul 10, 2007
Sounds unusual that a Centurion Amex cardholder (or "Black" card) would be walking into an Apple store and number one hoping they have 51 phones in stock and number two lugging them out the door.

To get the card (by invitation only) you have to spend at least $250k...yes $250,000 per year and the annual fee is $2,500. But the thing that is most odd about this guy standing in an Apple store line is that he also gets a concierge and personal shopper (with a direct phone line to a shopper assigned EXCLUSIVELY to him) as part of the Centurion card day to day service.

So all he would need to do is pick up the phone and say have x number of iPhones at this address by this time. And miraculously Amex would make it happen.

But hey...you saw it....

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal

Well I would like to work for one of these companies!:p

Saurabh

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
VA
I live in alexandria VA, Tysons corner is like 15 minutes for here.

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
Hehe, that'd been one helluva rebate if had bought early! 5100 bucks!

Think how much he could've pocketed if he had bought them within' 14 days of the price drop! 10200 bucks!

:cool:

mjeagent

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Northern Virginia
Sounds unusual that a Centurion Amex cardholder (or "Black" card) would be walking into an Apple store and number one hoping they have 51 phones in stock and number two lugging them out the door.

To get the card (by invitation only) you have to spend at least $250k...yes $250,000 per year and the annual fee is $2,500. But the thing that is most odd about this guy standing in an Apple store line is that he also gets a concierge and personal shopper (with a direct phone line to a shopper assigned EXCLUSIVELY to him) as part of the Centurion card day to day service.

So all he would need to do is pick up the phone and say have x number of iPhones at this address by this time. And miraculously Amex would make it happen.

But hey...you saw it....
I was thinking the same thing when I saw him whip out the black card. First, it took me a few seconds to realize what the card was since I had never seen one before. Then, I thought "why not just order this many online and have them shipped."
He looked like a normal, middle-aged, white guy.
I didn't have the balls to ask him what his intentions were with the units. I hung around at the counter so long after my purchase that I'm sure he was beginning to get leery of me.