HUGE Leopard/Time Machine Problem

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

reas0n

Silver
Jul 1, 2007
Stamford, CT
www.ohitsjustpete.com
so i got leopard today in the mail and booted it up got it runnin a.o.k. and now i go to use my 500GB external HD as my back-up drive for Time Machine and its telling me in order to use it i gotta erase the whole drive...now uhhhh i don't want to do that because i have a lot of stuff on it that i would like to keep...anyway around this maybe a partion or something? please help! thanks!

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
so i got leopard today in the mail and booted it up got it runnin a.o.k. and now i go to use my 500GB external HD as my back-up drive for Time Machine and its telling me in order to use it i gotta erase the whole drive...now uhhhh i don't want to do that because i have a lot of stuff on it that i would like to keep...anyway around this maybe a partion or something? please help! thanks!
I'd suggest moving the data to another drive and then partitioning your 500GB drive. When finished, move your data back to partition 1 and set up Time Machine on partition 2. Sizes will vary based upon your HD and your stuff.

-Chris

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Just make sure you choose "Mac Os Extended (journaled)" when you initialize your drive. Partitioning is an option, but is not necessary if you have enough contiguous space on it to back up your main drive.

reas0n

Silver
Jul 1, 2007
Stamford, CT
www.ohitsjustpete.com
ok so this is what im doing i have a PC with 200 spare gigs im transfering everything on the External to that then im gunna transfer it back once i get the External formated ( no partition) do you think i will be able to hook the external up to the pc once it is formatted to work with time machine?

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
ok so this is what im doing i have a PC with 200 spare gigs im transfering everything on the External to that then im gunna transfer it back once i get the External formated ( no partition) do you think i will be able to hook the external up to the pc once it is formatted to work with time machine?
A PC? Are you one of those people who are installing Leopard illegally on a non- Mac machine. This is Blasphemy!
The God-of-All-Macs must be really pissed off by now!
i'm confused. Really. I thought it was your external drive that had stuff on it you wanted to preserve? It would help to use punctuation. But, yes, the point is to empty your external drive, erase it, format it and still have enough room to use it to back up your time machine after putting the stuff back on it. A simple Mac task. But maybe I misunderstood. The PC thing got me confused.

reas0n

Silver
Jul 1, 2007
Stamford, CT
www.ohitsjustpete.com
A PC? Are you one of those people who are installing Leopard illegally on a non- Mac machine. This is Blasphemy!
The God-of-All-Macs must be really pissed off by now!
i'm confused. Really. I thought it was your external drive that had stuff on it you wanted to preserve? It would help to use punctuation. But, yes, the point is to empty your external drive, erase it, format it and still have enough room to use it to back up your time machine after putting the stuff back on it. A simple Mac task. But maybe I misunderstood. The PC thing got me confused.
you missunderstood...i have the external with about 190gigs of stuff then a pc with 200 gigs free space so i want to dump the external onto the pc then dump it back to the external once formatted but i don't think it would be able to since they are different formats you know

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
you missunderstood...i have the external with about 190gigs of stuff then a pc with 200 gigs free space so i want to dump the external onto the pc then dump it back to the external once formatted but i don't think it would be able to since they are different formats you know
I think I still misunderstand.
1. You have a computer with Leopard on it, and 200gigs of free space. What kind of computer is it? If it is a Mac that you call a PC, than it's OK, just a weird choice of letters.

2. You have an external drive with 190 gigs of stuff and it's not properly formatted

3. U transfer your external drive stuff to your computer with 10 gigs to spare

4. You format your Ext HD with you computer (Mac extended journaled)

5. Now your computer sees a lovely virgin drive properly formatted and it's happy

6. U transfer the 190 gigs back on the ext drive.

7. U get rid of the same 190 gigs on your computer.

8. Now u all set to go to use your time machine. You have 310 gigs available on the external drive to back up the 200 gigs from your computer.

Of course, this is all assuming your computer is a Mac running Leopard, not just alien computer in Mac clothing.

reas0n

Silver
Jul 1, 2007
Stamford, CT
www.ohitsjustpete.com
1. i have a macbook pro

2. i have a 500 gb Ext HD

3. i have a Alienware notebook with 200 spare gigs

4. i want to transfer what is on the Ext HD to the PC ^ then format the EHD to be able to use with time machine which is running on my MBP and then transfer everything that is on the PC back onto the Ext HD

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I don't know that I know the answer to that one! Is the external drive Mac or PC formatted at this point? If it is PC formatted, then if you connect it to the PC, there shouldn't be any problem transferring all the files to it.
You can then connect it to the MBP and initialize it. You can then create 2 partitions with the Disk utility, one that's formatted for the Mac, the other one for the PC. When you reconnect to the PC, you should be able to transfer the PC stuff back on the PC-formatted part and have the other partition available for the Time Machine. I've never tried that one, but I don't see why it shouldn't be feasible.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
160gb on the mbp
If you're going to get it almost full, you'll need MORE than 160 GB to back it up since each time it gets backed up (every hour, every day...depending on what you decide), a little bit more info will be added to the previous back-up. I'd give it at least 200 GB.

tdefriez

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
You'll need a utility to allow PC to read Mac

Unless I'm mistaken PC can't read/write Mac formated drive without a utility to enable this and for Time Machine to work the drive must be Mac formated?

So unless you copy via a network (which can be tricky) find yourself a copy of MacDrive-7 and then you can copy directly to drive in Mac format.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Unless I'm mistaken PC can't read/write Mac formated drive without a utility to enable this and for Time Machine to work the drive must be Mac formated?

So unless you copy via a network (which can be tricky) find yourself a copy of MacDrive-7 and then you can copy directly to drive in Mac format.
Right, but the Mac can PC-format the HD without extra software and then the PC can read it. No need for complicated network transfer.

reas0n

Silver
Jul 1, 2007
Stamford, CT
www.ohitsjustpete.com
well i went ahead and reformatted and now the pc wont read the external drive guess im kinda screwed now

EDIT: not screwed anymore lol i used the osX Disk utility and partitioned the drive half Mac format Half PC Format and everything is running SMOOTH now time machine is up and running and backing up nd i still have all my files on my External HD...thanks for your help guys i appreciate it!

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
well i went ahead and reformatted and now the pc wont read the external drive guess im kinda screwed now

EDIT: not screwed anymore lol i used the osX Disk utility and partitioned the drive half Mac format Half PC Format and everything is running SMOOTH now time machine is up and running and backing up nd i still have all my files on my External HD...thanks for your help guys i appreciate it!
Glad to help. I wasn't sure. I read about them, but I don't do windoze;)