Huge sound disparity!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Velodog2

Silver
Jul 19, 2007
Wow. I was skiing this weekend past with another iPhone user and I was freakin' shocked when he started playing the iPod function through the internal speaker and you could hear it through the entire room! Not loud, but very audible - enough to provide background music for the conversation of 5 people ... He said yes in fact his speakerphone was very useful.

I have upgraded, hacked and done everything known to man and mine has never been louder than a whisper!

He's never hacked his but said he got a big bump in volume from one of the upgrades.

Before this I'd only heard people's opinions of how loud their phones were on this bulletin board and I thought (for lack of hard data or experience) yeah, right.

Obviously there are differences between phones. If low volume = broken then it would seem that enough people have broken phones to make it seem normal based on the comments here. I guess I could maybe return mine, etc, but no, it's modded and I love it and don't want to risk getting something worse. I shouldn't even mention that Apple has never owned up to to faulty speakers in large numbers of phones... I guess after all the effort I and others have gone through including upgrades that software differences aren't the problem.

I suppose this is old news, but I just never really believed it before and didn't imagine the magnitude of the differences out there.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
my external speaker WHILE USING THE IPOD FUNCTION is quite loud. Its on calls that fails the test. I've been through every firmware since 1.0.1 and all versions SEEMED loud enough. But when would you ever play music out of one tiny little speaker!? Its like using the technology of 1975's first transitor radio's earpiece to listen to digitally recorded music.... As matter of fact, its EXACTLY like that.... Its the speakerphone you should be bitching about... Not playing music through one tiny speaker like your listening to the Japs attack Pearl Harbour..

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
Has anyone with a 1.1.2 OTB phone got any sound complaints? I'm wondering if there was a sound hardware change too - while they was crippling the bootloader.

All the UK phones I've come across sound perfectly ok to me - but I haven't compared them to any early imports

My volume fluctuates occasionally. Usually it is pretty loud, I can hear it in a room when laying music but sometimes it's just too low. Next time when I snc, the volume may be very loud again and then the next day, it may be low again.

All during this, the volume is always on max.

Has anyone with a 1.1.2 OTB phone got any sound complaints? I'm wondering if there was a sound hardware change too - while they was crippling the bootloader.

All the UK phones I've come across sound perfectly ok to me - but I haven't compared them to any early imports
I was given a 1.1.2 OTB iPhone over the weekend to try to unlock. I did notice the speaker sound did seems just a tiny bit louder than mine, I played the same ringer sound side by side. Nothing to get excited over.

Velodog2

Silver
Jul 19, 2007
Lol, no I don't want to listen to tinny music through my speaker. A useful speakerphone would be nice. And it would be nice to be able to watch a movie without the earbuds sometime if I wanted to also. Or maybe play a utube video for a group of people without saying, um, you can take turns listening with the earbuds...

As I said, I'm not rushing to return my phone just cause the speaker is craptastic. We've all made our deals with the devil over this device.

Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
There's a thread over on MMi where a few people apparently poked a needle through the speaker vents (apparently there isn't a speaker right there, but just a thin plastic membrane to keep dirt out of the antenna area) and got a huge increase in music and ringtone volume.

Velodog2

Silver
Jul 19, 2007
Um, like, Holy Hell, this works!

Have something playing out of your speaker when you do it and listen to the volume increase :)

Stupid, stupid Apple.

Velodog2

Silver
Jul 19, 2007
Velodog2, your avatar is one weird, scary image...
Thanks! Yeah, chicks dig it too.

I would be willing to bet, oh, maybe a dollar that there is a piece of fine mesh screen behind that speaker grill. And, that during a sloppy manufacturing process the glue used to attach that mesh sometimes gets smeared across it clogging it and obstructing the sound. It would be something that could easily slip by quality control, especially early in the game, and would neatly explain the seemingly random disparities in speaker function from phone to phone.

Whatever it is, and I'm not taking my plastic cover off tonight to find out, the very first hole I punched made a dramatic improvement in volume. That speaker was sealed up tight!

Of course it would be pure fantasy to think that Apple would ever own up to such a problem.

Hmmmm, these damned keyclicks are fruggin loud! I may have to turn them off, lol.

bublar

Sep 18, 2007
Thanks! Yeah, chicks dig it too.

I would be willing to bet, oh, maybe a dollar that there is a piece of fine mesh screen behind that speaker grill. And, that during a sloppy manufacturing process the glue used to attach that mesh sometimes gets smeared across it clogging it and obstructing the sound. It would be something that could easily slip by quality control, especially early in the game, and would neatly explain the seemingly random disparities in speaker function from phone to phone.

Whatever it is, and I'm not taking my plastic cover off tonight to find out, the very first hole I punched made a dramatic improvement in volume. That speaker was sealed up tight!

Of course it would be pure fantasy to think that Apple would ever own up to such a problem.

Hmmmm, these damned keyclicks are fruggin loud! I may have to turn them off, lol.

all i can say is wow...this is no joke. I figured what the hell and stuck a bent piece of a keychain into the speaker holes and with some force "pushed" through what felt like glue..instantly the volume tripled. I can actually now hear the phone ring while it's in my pocket. I'd advise anyone with volume problems after the update to give this a try..

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
all i can say is wow...this is no joke. I figured what the hell and stuck a bent piece of a keychain into the speaker holes and with some force "pushed" through what felt like glue..instantly the volume tripled. I can actually now hear the phone ring while it's in my pocket. I'd advise anyone with volume problems after the update to give this a try..

Hopefully you realize 1 is a speaker and 1 is a mic.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
And how do I "remove" the black cover? Or, if I elect to "punch" the holes through, how far in through the little speaker grill can I push my needle....Is it possible to desrtoy the speaker while doing this..?

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 18, 2007
And how do I "remove" the black cover? Or, if I elect to "punch" the holes through, how far in through the little speaker grill can I push my needle....Is it possible to desrtoy the speaker while doing this..?
here is a link on how to remove the back cover http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iPhone/Antenna-Cover/105/2/
and here is a link to the modmyifone thread I got the idea from.
http://modmyifone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21807&highlight=volume
Someone said they punched in about 1/16th to 1/8th of an inch. from my measurements you have just over 1/8th of an inch, I would suggest removing the back cover first though. This seems to be a dust guard so it is possible dust could effect the speaker, and obviously if the speaker was penetrated it would have a negative effect on sound quality. but I did it yesterday and could actually hear my phone in the shower, and I could actually hear it pretty good.
PS. Sorry I don't know how to do hyperlinks

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
here is a link on how to remove the back cover http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iPhone/Antenna-Cover/105/2/
and here is a link to the modmyifone thread I got the idea from.
http://modmyifone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21807&highlight=volume
Someone said they punched in about 1/16th to 1/8th of an inch. from my measurements you have just over 1/8th of an inch, I would suggest removing the back cover first though. This seems to be a dust guard so it is possible dust could effect the speaker, and obviously if the speaker was penetrated it would have a negative effect on sound quality. but I did it yesterday and could actually hear my phone in the shower, and I could actually hear it pretty good.
PS. Sorry I don't know how to do hyperlinks
Thanks for the help. I'm on it right now...................