I accidently cleared a SMS conversation...

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
you already stated the answer. "restore" your phone. iTunes will replace the conversation up to your last sync.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Just make sure you choose to restore from Backup and as long as that conversation was present the last time the phone was backed up in iTunes you can retrieve the conversation.

oriolesfan23

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
Virginia
you already stated the answer. "restore" your phone. iTunes will replace the conversation up to your last sync.
As soon as I click "restore" it asks me if I want to "back up" or restore it completely to factory settings. Do I click "back up" or do I just restore it completely, and then back it up after? I would think that I back it up after if I want my old conversation back, but I don't want to click restore completely if I don't get an option to back it up after the restore is complete.

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
yes.... i wish i wouldve known this a while back when this happened to me :(

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
As soon as I click "restore" it asks me if I want to "back up" or restore it completely to factory settings. Do I click "back up" or do I just restore it completely, and then back it up after? I would think that I back it up after if I want my old conversation back, but I don't want to click restore completely if I don't get an option to back it up after the restore is complete.
yes use the backup option. Regardless if you restore from backup or to factory settings, the last iTunes/iPhone backup will be there to use.

Owgasm

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
yeah, its a shame the clear is so simple.

Zachary Vex

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
Minneapolis
I totally agree. It's way too easy to erase sms threads, especially if you're driving. Not that I'd EVER text while driving. Heh.

Dec 24, 2008
pleaze HELP

Just make sure you choose to restore from Backup and as long as that conversation was present the last time the phone was backed up in iTunes you can retrieve the conversation.
if you choose backup in order to restore the sms conversation it will update softaware in 2.2... iPhone then will lock again and then i will have to ulock it again?

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
meh, its just a sms convo, nothin that special.

whatever you texted new since your last back up you will not get back, which according to murphy's law is the important stuff you want or need.