i am in love

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
a co-worker had an appointment at lunch time at a local Apple store to get her ibook fixed and i went with her with the idea of seeing a macbook air in person.

and i did.

and it is beautiful.

and i want one NOW.

let me back up. my first portable mac was a 12" powerbook and it served me well for 3 years. then the macbooks came out and i thought i needed a more powerful computer and had a great opportunity to buy one at a good discount that i could not pass up. so, i bought the macbook and sold my beloved powerbook on ebay. and then i commenced to miss the portability and sleekness of the powerbook despite the superior computing power of my new macbook.

i commute to and from work by train, and i really would like to carry my computer with me to work on reviews and get through email. i've been commuting with my macbook periodically and it seems to weigh more and more with each step as i walk through the city on my way to and from my office (sometimes 2 miles if the weather is nice and i skip taking the shuttle).

i'm slowly convincing myself that i can make do with an 80gb hard drive (i have a 100gb drive on my macbook that is almost full - have a lot of cleaning out to do and must manage my iTunes video collection much more effectively). after seeing the macbook air in person today and admiring its svelte figure, i'm pretty much there.

i will have my precious soon. soon, i tell you! :p

Jhors2

Bronze
Nov 11, 2007
If you get one post a review! Your review skills are superb and I'd love to hear your full take on it!

cubbie5150

Bronze
Dec 16, 2007
I think the Air is sexy as hell...but it it just means giving up too much performance-wise for me. I use my C2D 15" MBP basically as a desktop replacement (have a 24" LCD hooked up to it when @ home). I can't wait for the long-overdue MBP upgrade (& hopefully a re-design)... I would like to read your impressions if you do get the Air...

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
I just don't get the fascination with the MBA. I mean it is sexy as he'll and I believe it will lead to change in laptop design. However I just don't think it is a practical buy in its current state. The wow factor is amazing but only 80gb hdd or 64 ssd. I'll wait till the next version. My 13" 2.2ghz c2d is just as portable with more horsepower and plenty of space as well.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I'm still waiting for mine. My Apple store has a few of them, but the online store is telling me I won't get mine till early March! It's probably because it's customized to the extreme, but still...
Maybe we can start a thread: post your MacBook Air pics

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I just don't get the fascination with the MBA. I mean it is sexy as he'll and I believe it will lead to change in laptop design. However I just don't think it is a practical buy in its current state. The wow factor is amazing but only 80gb hdd or 64 ssd. I'll wait till the next version. My 13" 2.2ghz c2d is just as portable with more horsepower and plenty of space as well.
I agree it can't be a primary computer or even a primary laptop. It's a beauty made to travel light. There's a lot of stuff I won't put on it and I will keep it's HD as light as possible too.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
I think the Air is sexy as hell...but it it just means giving up too much performance-wise for me. I use my C2D 15" MBP basically as a desktop replacement (have a 24" LCD hooked up to it when @ home). I can't wait for the long-overdue MBP upgrade (& hopefully a re-design)... I would like to read your impressions if you do get the Air...
i know - those thoughts cross my mind as well. my first gen macbook is still more powerful than the air (except graphics performance is probably about the same). and i hook it up to a 20" display when i'm at my desk at home. but if i think about how i really like to use my mac, it's to sit anywhere i want and carry it with me when i go out to starbucks or the bookstore. and i don't do anything horribly complex - probably the most processor-driven stuff i do is minor photo editing in iphoto. the rest is writing, email, managing my music, and internet surfing. so i'm hoping i won't miss anything, except the hard drive space. :laugh2:

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
i know what you mean - then i saw it at the store and it is fabulous! if i really clean up my hard drive and move stuff off that i never access (i have work files dating back to the mid-90's!), it should work for me. my first 12" powerbook only had a 40gb hard drive and i had no problems with space until the last few months i owned it. i'm beginning to think that hard drive space is like a big house - if you have all that room, you'll fill it up even if you don't plan to.

and my macbook does get heavy for me - i am athletic but losing an extra 2 lbs from my work bag will be very welcome. view it from the perspective of a petite woman instead of a big strapping well-muscled male. ;)

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
I'm still waiting for mine. My Apple store has a few of them, but the online store is telling me I won't get mine till early March! It's probably because it's customized to the extreme, but still...
early march? dear lord, how can you stand it? :eek::D you have far more patience than me - i'm sure i'll just snap and go to the nearest store when i do get one to have some instant gratification.

what options did you get? i think i'll go for the standard hard drive and the 1.8ghz processor, and the superdrive. i think i'm going to sell my 20" acd too - this will probably appease my husband at least a little since i'm upgrading my computer after buying it only about 16 months ago. in his eyes, the fact that i sell my "old" electronics is the only redeeming factor about my gadget fixation. :p

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
The MBA seems like a great concept, but for me, there are just some things that I cant sacrifice. I think its perfect for play, but not for primary use.

And lets not talk about iTunes collection; mine alone is well over the 80GB that the air comes with.

To all that actually do get the MBA and not just play with it for a few minutes in the store, please share with us. I'm anxious to hear about long term usage.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
This is why I never order online unless I absolutely have to. Like macgirl said, I want the instant gratification.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Apparently the Air is now ready to go. Apple released Mac OS X 10.5.2 on Software Update this afternoon, and I discovered that it adds an application to your Utilities folder called 'Remote Install Mac OS X'. When opened, it tells you that Remote Install helps you install Mac OS X on your MacBook Air.

There was also a Leopard Graphics Update today.

- John

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Sorry to revive an old thread (being the admin I can certainly stretch the rules when I'd like).

Did you ever get the MacBook Air? Is it still in your plans? I was steadfast against the Air, but now I'm reconsidering. I have a Powerbook G4 that is starting to show it's age. My primary machine is a Mac Pro desktop, but I would like to eventually upgrade my portable. For some reason, my PB has been acting odd when trying to connect to WiFi networks. I thought it was isolated to Verizon, but it happened when I was on vacation. Seems to be an issue among other PB owners too. I'm thinking the combination of Leopard/PB are causing some sort WiFi issues. Drives me nuts. I did ok selling my old Mac desktop, so figured I'd do the same on the laptop front.

It's not so much the missing ports that bother me, but the lack of processing power. Then again, I compare it to my PB (using Macworld's tests) and it just smokes it. It also solves the problem of matte vs glossy, since there is no choice.

So did you make the leap into Air?

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
Sorry to revive an old thread (being the admin I can certainly stretch the rules when I'd like).
i think we can cut you a little slack on that. but just a little. :p

i have not yet gotten the air, but i still plan to. something tells me that there are some upgrades pending for the air in the near future, so i'm trying to hold out a few more months. that, and i'm really hoping that there will be a larger-capacity 1.8" PATA drive available soon - i'm still a little hung up on an 80GB limit on what would be my one and only computer.

i think i'd come out just about even in processing power from my current macbook (2ghz core duo) compared to the air's 1.8ghz core 2 duo. the most complex things i do are minor photo editing (just in iphoto) and word processing, so i'm not too worried about that.

Chris: what powerbook do you have now? i miss my 12" G4 - kind of wish i'd never bothered to upgrade to a macbook. in truth, the jump from the G4 to the macbook really didn't make a huge difference given what little i do with my computer. but with everything you manage online, i'm sure the processor bump from a G4 to the Air will be a pleasant one for you...

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I use a 15" PowerBook 1.67 Ghz. Lucky for me, Macworld included this PB in their MacBook Air speed test. Leave it to Apple to decide what I need and don't need in a computer. I remember when they first bailed on floppy disk. People were up in arms. The more I look at my PB, the more I wonder if I even need all the various ports (Firewire, etc).

I'm at my desktop 95 percent of the day. The other 5 percent is in front my TiVo and I usually have laptop.:laugh2: When I travel, so does my businesss. Thank god for the iPhone during my last trip. It allowed for me to monitor the sites while on the beach. There was one drop in the sand, but the iPhone held up.

I'm starting to wonder if I need the horsepower of a Powerbook. Most of my work is light Photoshop work, ton of web browsing and Dreamweaver for editing stories. I also use my laptop for shooting products for reviews in my make shift photo studio (ie. my basement). I should probably take a look at the DPReview forums to see if anyone is using the Air with Olympus Studio. Basically, Olympus Studio allows me to shoot photos directly onto my laptop. This way, I can make adjustments on the fly and see the results immediately.

The MacBook Air keeps pulling me in....saying "Don't worry about my specs....":p

-Chris

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
The MacBook Air keeps pulling me in....saying "Don't worry about my specs....":p

-Chris
I have a 17-inch MBP and a MBA. Guess which one I use all the time now.
It is so nice to carry the light fellow around instead of the usual suitcase.

I take it to work every day and I can do anything I want with it. My single USB port is enhanced to 4 with a tiny Belkin hub. I use Photoshop all the time as I'm addicted to taking pictures. I have TV on wherever I go. I run Parallels. I never had to say "I wish I had a firewire port" so far. I got the external DVD drive, but don't use it very often. The screen is bright and clear. The keyboard is very comfortable. It's a great little computer.
If I want to do something processor-intensive, I use my MP at home. I don't have to edit movies on-the-go.

I'd say, go for it.

Last edited by a moderator:

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I downloaded the trial version of Olympus Studio on the MBA. Installed without problem, but it doesn't see my Nikon P80. I don't see any option to put the camera in "PC"mode.:(

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I downloaded the trial version of Olympus Studio on the MBA. Installed without problem, but it doesn't see my Nikon P80. I don't see any option to put the camera in "PC"mode.:(
Thanks. I wanted to confirm that Olympus Studio would see the USB connection and that it would be plenty fast. I did a Google search of Olympus Studio MacBook Air and I found this thread. Geez, Google has much love for EIC. Anyway, I loaded up Olympus Studio back on my PowerBook and tested the USB connection. At first it wasn't working, but that was a pilot error. It works just as fast as my firewire connection.

PC mode is an option on the E1 menus. I would have definitely gone Nikon, but I was an Olympus employee when I bought my e1. A good friend of mine has the D40. Just an awesome camera. No need for me to update my camera, but I will definitely jump to Nikon when the time comes.

BTW, after much research and feedback, I ordered the Air. I read review after review --- all the reviewers found things to complain about, but they were all still using the Air as their main rig. So, while the battery life wasn't up to par or they missed the extra USB ports, it didn't drive them back to their other laptops (which were MacBooks or MacBook Pros). Plus, from your feedback, it seems as if the Air has unseated your MBP as your favorite.

Here was my checklist:
  • Ability to run Photoshop for light editing √
  • Ability to run Dreamweaver √
  • Good for web browsing √
  • Easy to type on √
  • Works with Olympus Studio √
  • Supports Vista Aero effects √
  • Offers nice speed bump from PB 1.67 √
  • Good movie machine for flights √
The real hurdle for me was to get over the specs vs the less expensive MacBook. Then again, it was more Mac Book Air vs Mac Book Pro. I looked at the side of my PowerBook and outside of the Firewire port, I don't use anything but the USB/Ethernet ports. The Macworld speed charts say this will be a nice speed bump for me.

Finally, the design is something that only comes from Cupertino and for that I'm willing to pay a premium.

I missed the boat on overnight delivery for tomorrow, so I'll have to wait until Friday. Now I need to figure out if I'm going to get an Invisibile Shield or not. I was siked about getting the ManillaMac, but they are not even taking orders.

-Chris