I am really stuck, please help

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Nov 29, 2007
I have an iPod Touch and the WiFi worked flawlessly for two months on my home network. In trying to connect to an outside network I foolishly used Reset Network Settings. Now my home network doesn't work. I get the "Safari can't open message etc." message. I've read many postings on many sites and none of the solutions work.

I'm not very network savvy but the network settings look odd. The IP address automatically sets to 169.254.159.205 and the submet mask to 255.255.0.0.

But my router IP and subnet mask are 192.168.10.1 and 255.255.255.0.

Doesn't the Touch IP have to be something like 192.168.10.x and the subnet 255.255.255.0?

I tried setting Staic values like 192.168.10.100, 255.255.255.0, and the DNS to 208.67.222.222 but that did not fix it. I've rebooted the router and restarted the Touch network after Forgetting it. That did no good. I've tried a zillion other things I've read about and nothing worked.

I have a PC on the wireless WiFi and it continues to work fine so I think the router is OK. And I didn't do anything to the router when this all started.

I just want to get the thing back to working.

I'd appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks,
Steve

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
The static details there do look fairly much as if they could work if your router is set up as you describe. Unless 192.168.10.100 was already being used elsewhere!

DHCP is best if you aren't a network admin. I'd bet if you reset your router to factory settings - set that back up again according to the manual - go back to using DHCP (automatic) on your Touch - that will get you up and running It did before, but something has changed. The fact your touch isn't getting DHCP points at your router really.

The wifi is connecting isn't it?

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
Do you have a WEP or WPA password on the router? If so, you'd need to input that information when trying to connect. The IP address of 169. means that you are not getting an IP address from the router.

Did you recently upgrade? I've heard issues with Linksys and the new firmware.

Nov 29, 2007
I have WEP set up. When the Touch connects I get prompted for a password which it takes. But then I can't connect as I described before.

Any suggestions that could avoid resetting the router? I can do that by I hate to. It's working fine (other than the Touch) including a wireless PC connection and VoIP phone.

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
I have WEP set up. When the Touch connects I get prompted for a password which it takes. But then I can't connect as I described before.

Any suggestions that could avoid resetting the router? I can do that by I hate to. It's working fine (other than the Touch) including a wireless PC connection and VoIP phone.
You say it asks for the wep password - at that point it can't connect?

In that case it's the wrong password! Check for capitalisation errors or set your password on the router so it starts with a number.

Nov 29, 2007
When I enter the password it acts like it's connected. I think the pasword is entered correctly because if I enter it wrong it will not join.

I don't think I mentioned that the I am able to connect to other networks which I checked in the Apple store.

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
Are you entering the HEX key or the ascii password? A lot of devices have trouble with using an ASCII password for WEP. I'd try to use the HEX key instead. Seems like there have been a couple reports where this fixed the problem.

Nov 29, 2007
Well I got the thing working with your help. Unfortunately, I don't really understand the network security distinctions so it feels like driving a car by holding on to the rear view mirror.

Here's what I did:
1. Rebooted the router
2. When it restarted I changed the newtork the network name (I suspect that didn't do anything but make me feel like I was doing something useful).
3. I turned security off on the router and was able to use Safari.
4. I used Forget this Network on the iPod
5. Chose WEP security on the router (which it was before)
6. Entered a 10 character alphanumeric string into the router's "WEP Key 1" field
7. Turned the network on in the Touch
8. The iPod then found the network and the the settings looked normal and the little lock icon displayed next to the network name. So I went to Safari and what do you know, it worked.

But what I don't understand is I never got prompted for a password on the Touch or got prompted to Join. It just went directly to selecting the new network name as soon as it was found. I assume it's a secure connection because the little lock icon is there. It could be I did not use Forget the Network the way I recall and perhaps I did things in a somewhat different sequence than I said above.

Regardless, it's working. I want to sincerely thank my two helpers. If it wasn't for you I may have never suspected the router as everything else seemed to be working. I'd probably be throwing the iPod against the wall by now.

P.S.
I have a ZyXel X-550 router which most people never heard of. I got it based on Amazon reviews which said it was very easy to set up. It is. This is the first problem I've had with it. Otherwise, it's been extremely reliable, more so that any other I've had. But now I'll be keeping an eye on it.