i am so confused about DFU MODE!

Aug 28, 2007
ok, i hold down the home and power button till it turns off, then once the Apple logo shows, you let go of the power button and only hold the home, i heard its supposed to show you a black screen but mine shows a 'connect to iTunes pic' which is recovery mode

someone please explain what im doing wrong...

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
ok, i hold down the home and power button till it turns off, then once the Apple logo shows, you let go of the power button and only hold the home, i heard its supposed to show you a black screen but mine shows a 'connect to iTunes pic' which is recovery mode

You're not doing anything wrong...

jimmyrules712

Bronze
Sep 21, 2007

I believe DFU mode looks similar to recovery mode, except DFU mode happens before the iPhone OS has loaded, where recovery mode happens with the iPhone OS already up.

Either way it sounds like you're doing it correctly.

cliffeman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Feenix, Amizona
This is the way i understood it (and how i've always got it to work). You have the phone plugged in (with iTunes up). Turn off the phone. Then hold the home and power button. After 10 seconds release the power button,(it should not power on to the Apple logo. If it does then it didn't work) but continue holding the home button until you hear the sound that it connected to iTunes. (Since i'm on XP) the little popup on the task bar shows "DFU Mode".

Hope that helps you.

http://sleepers.net/news/blank/dfu-mode/

this is where i read it.

faseone

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007

your not doing it correctly, you shouldn't see the Apple logo

1. hold sleep/wake til slide to power off...
2. slide to power off ( phone is now off)
3. hold both sleep/wake and home(count to 10 and release sleep/wake while still holding home)(phone should still be OFF no Apple logo)
4. iTunes should see your phone in recovery(1-2min) at this time you may also have drivers installed as you have never gone into dfu before.
5. please wait it out don't get frustrated and let go after a min

contrary to what others say you should not see the Apple logo while going into dfu...
DO NOT WAIT FOR THE APPLE LOGO TO LET GO OF SLEEP/WAKE..... U CAN TRY YOUR WAY BUT LET GO OF THE SLEEP/WAKE AS SOON AS PHONE TURNS OFF.

cliffeman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Feenix, Amizona
your not doing it correctly, you shouldn't see the Apple logo

1. hold sleep/wake til slide to power off...
2. slide to power off ( phone is now off)
3. hold both sleep/wake and home(count to 10 and release sleep/wake while still holding home)(phone should still be OFF no Apple logo)
4. iTunes should see your phone in recovery(1-2min) at this time you may also have drivers installed as you have never gone into dfu before.
5. please wait it out don't get frustrated and let go after a min

contrary to what others say you should not see the Apple logo while going into dfu...
DO NOT WAIT FOR THE APPLE LOGO TO LET GO OF SLEEP/WAKE..... U CAN TRY YOUR WAY BUT LET GO OF THE SLEEP/WAKE AS SOON AS PHONE TURNS OFF.

that's what i said in the post before you :rolleyes:

jimmyrules712

Bronze
Sep 21, 2007
i think the Apple logo came up for me and I had no trouble doing the jailbreak / unlock

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
...the Apple logo does and is supposed to come on.