i bit confused...

sorry i didn't know which topic to put this in, but i wanted an answer from intelligent people... so...with that being said... im going to be switching to a macbook in about two weeks and i really need microsoft office to run on it... I heard microsoft office for mac(the one that is like 149.99) is horrible. So i decided to try to go the other route. BOOTCAMP! so im looking around trying to find a Microsoft windows cd, but i don't know which one to get. It says something about a 32bit version, whats that? Also i don't know whether to go with microsoft office xp pro edition sp2 or microsoft office vista. Is it hard to go the BOOTCAMP route? Also, since i need microsoft office, once im done installing microsoft windows, can i put in my microsoft office 2003 installation disk and install it on my macbook through the microsoft windows i would have downloaded? i know this is a lot and all jumbled, i just want to get it right... thanks for any feedback....

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
BOOTCAMP isn't difficult to do, or use or anything. I've done it multiple times without any problems.

Also, I have Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac installed on both of my Macs and its actually pretty good. I'm not sure which Office you're talking about though.

About the 32 bit thing, I don't think you really have to worry about it. I think the MacBook is 32-bit, or at least mine is. But even if the Mac is 64-bit, the 32 bit should work... But I could be wrong. Hopefully others will chime in about that...

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
sorry i didn't know which topic to put this in, but i wanted an answer from intelligent people... so...with that being said... im going to be switching to a macbook in about two weeks and i really need microsoft office to run on it... I heard microsoft office for mac(the one that is like 149.99) is horrible. So i decided to try to go the other route. BOOTCAMP! so im looking around trying to find a Microsoft windows cd, but i don't know which one to get. It says something about a 32bit version, whats that? Also i don't know whether to go with microsoft office xp pro edition sp2 or microsoft office vista. Is it hard to go the BOOTCAMP route? Also, since i need microsoft office, once im done installing microsoft windows, can i put in my microsoft office 2003 installation disk and install it on my macbook through the microsoft windows i would have downloaded? i know this is a lot and all jumbled, i just want to get it right... thanks for any feedback....
Lots of good questions. Let's preface the fact that I have Office on my iMac. I'm satisfied with it.

You will need to decide which Windows OS to install. XP Pro or Vista. You need to purchase that OS and install it on your machine. Between the cost of Windows and the Office CD, you may want to reconsider the Mac version. I have XP Pro installed on my virtual Windows machine. I like it better than the Vista OS I have installed on my desktop PC. Office for PC is different than Office for Mac. You will not be able to use the same CD for both machines.

If you already have an Office 2003 CD, the Windows route is the preferred route. Be wary that you may have problems registering the license on the new machine as Microsoft remembers when/where you last installed the software.

impaler

Silver
Apr 28, 2007
Who told you Office for Mac was horrible? Which one? 2004? 2008? Which aspect of Office was bad? I think 2004 is plenty fine, even on Intel processors (albeit a bit slow), but 2008 is great.

Lots of good questions. Let's preface the fact that I have Office on my iMac. I'm satisfied with it.

You will need to decide which Windows OS to install. XP Pro or Vista. You need to purchase that OS and install it on your machine. Between the cost of Windows and the Office CD, you may want to reconsider the Mac version. I have XP Pro installed on my virtual Windows machine. I like it better than the Vista OS I have installed on my desktop PC. Office for PC is different than Office for Mac. You will not be able to use the same CD for both machines.

If you already have an Office 2003 CD, the Windows route is the preferred route. Be wary that you may have problems registering the license on the new machine as Microsoft remembers when/where you last installed the software.
so you have microsoft office for mac 2008? i think its microsoft office 2008 for home and student... i saw some reviews on the Apple website about it being watered down and something about formats not working. That if you write a document on the mac, it wont work on other computers running an older version of word. I don't know if any of this is true... Have you ran into any of these problems?

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
i have MS office for mac and it is the best, i have been using it macs since 2002. and it is the SAME thing for me]..

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
so you have microsoft office for mac 2008? i think its microsoft office 2008 for home and student... i saw some reviews on the Apple website about it being watered down and something about formats not working. That if you write a document on the mac, it wont work on other computers running an older version of word. I don't know if any of this is true... Have you ran into any of these problems?
I have the 2004 version. I've had no compatibility problems between documents created on the Mac and sent to PCs. Regarding compatibility with older versions of Word, you'll see this problem on PCs as well. Always need to save the documents in 1997 or later compatible documents. You can select which format to save to by selecting file types from the drop-down menu.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
My daughter has the '08 version on her MBP and has had no problems at all. Also don't forget to get your student discount on the mac. This will cover the cost of Office, like getting it for free.:cool:

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
That if you write a document on the mac, it wont work on other computers running an older version of word. I don't know if any of this is true... Have you ran into any of these problems?
There are multiple ways to save on '08. The best if there is doubt are as follows:
.doc This goes back to Word '97
.rtf Rich Text Format
.txt Plain Text
These should open in just about any App. And there is also PDF among others.

My .02 I have been an Office user forever on the PC but added a MBP as my main system earlier this year. I really needed Windows for several work applications so I explored both BootCamp and VMWare Fusion. I settled for Fusion mainly because of the need to reboot to change from one OS to the other with BootCamp.

As for Office on the Mac, I purchased Office 2008 and Word, Excel and PP are just fine. They operate in a manner very similar to their Windows counterparts and I like them. However, the Mac Office version of Outlook is Entourage and I absolutely hate it. It is nowhere near the polished program that Outlook is, and its feature set doesn't compare to Outlook 2007. It is so bad (IMHO) that I use Mac Mail instead.

So, If you haven't grown significantly attached to features in Outlook, you may very well do fine with Office Mac 2008 with Entourage. You may then be able to do without any Windows OS at all. However, if you decide that you need Outlook or Office PC, I strongly suggest spending the extra $ to get VMWare Fusion over BootCamp. You will learn to HATE having to power down and reboot just to change from OS-X to Windows. With Fusion, Windows acts like another OS-X application and you can switch between them at will. I even put my Vista VMWare in a separate SPACE which is Macs way of displaying multiple screen presentations.

If you want more detials or have questions, drop me a private message and I'll give you my cell so we can talk. Hope this helps!

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
I also use office for mac. I've used the 04 and 08 versions. I also use the 07/08 version on my xp box at work. They have different interfaces, but the functionality is the same. For $150, that's your cheaper route. The new office (both mac and windows) saves in different file types:

.docx
.xlsx

To open those files on older machines, they need to have a compatibility pack installed. But you can still save in the tradition .doc and .xls and not worry about it.

My opinion: just use Office for Mac. You'll like it. Use your student discount.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Office '08 is perfectly fine. The only reason i'd shy away from it is if you need to use Macros (assigning key combos to other keys). Office for mac doesn't have this capability. Most of the time people that need to do this are the ones that use Excel or Word for their jobs and have VERY specific uses... this allows them to customize streamline their UI.

Anyway... no reason a basic user should have any issues with Office for Mac.

That being said, OpenOffice has a (free) aqua release candidate out...