I bought an stolen iPhone 5 from Craigslist on purpose.

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by FFAP1234, Mar 23, 2015.

1. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member
    Bronze

I was looking to buy an unlocked iPhone to take it to South America and ended buying a phone that I new it was stolen. I thought about myself when my iPhone 5 was stolen and decided to buy it and return it to the owner. Of course it was only $140 looking like new no accessories nothing just fully charged.

I come home and read the number listed in the lacked iCloud, call the number and the person hung up on me. I thought I was doing something good, the police didn't help me in the pass with mine, I will only return the phone to the owner, how do I find him? Can somebody advise me? Thank you.

2. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

You are doing something good. Have you tried calling them again? Don't call from a blocked number.

3. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member
    Bronze

I'm calling from my unblocked cell. I am totally lost, I really don't understand.

4. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Maybe if the number is a cell, text them?

5. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member
    Bronze

Yes it is a cell #. I was able to talk to the person but hung on me. That is the number that is associated with the account.

#5 FFAP1234, Mar 23, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
  6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I know your intentions were good and it was a very thoughtful act, however, there isn't a high probability of this turning out as you pictured it. Unfortunately, most people, including the orignal owner, are going to assume you are either the thief or hoping to save money by buying a stolen iPhone.

The orginal owner may have changed their phone number and likely already has a replacement phone. Another possibility is that they sold the phone without knowing they needed to restore it first and the buyer got unintentionally screwed. In that case, the orginal owner already got their money, likely has already been harassed for their password and will have no intention of talking to anyone about this phone. If that's the case, that buyer was just trying to regain some of the money they lost and didn't technically steal it. There is no way of knowing, but the fact that the owner of the iCloud account wants nothing to do with anyone who currently has this phone is a very good hint.

I would just send one email to them and wait two days for a reply. If you don't get a reply, drop the phone off at an Apple Store or throw it away. Personally, I wouldn't want to deal with the questions Apple might ask and potentially get looked at as a thief, so I would just tell them I found it or throw it away.

#6 Europa, Mar 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2015
  7. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member
    Bronze

And I thought I was going to make somebody's day. I inmediately call Apple Support to tell what happened and was advise to take it to the police and don't bring it to Apple Store. I don't have an email to contact the owner only a phone number that is on the phone. To this point by doing some searching I know it is s Verizon iPhone and has been reported as a stolen phone. When I connected it to iTunes it showed it a 16GB.

I do have a copy of the Craigslist add with the contact # of the person who sold it to me which isn't the same # that shows on the phone. I was thinking to call Verizon tomorrow and see what they tell me.

I just don't understand what is going on because up to today I would love to hear about my stolen iPhone 5. Thank you for your very wise advise.

8. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

And isn't buying / possessing known stolen goods also illegal?
    Yes it is. No matter how thoughtful you're intentions, it could come back on you sadly

9. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member
    Bronze

I thought more about what Europe said. I am not going to contact Verizon, I did my best by trying to contact the person's number that was on the phone. I won't try to do anything anymore, I do have proof of the Craigslist add and also of me texting the supposed owner. This is the end of me trying it. Thank you all for your advice : (

10. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

The last sensitive thing to do now is to destroy the iPhone in the most creative way and post it to YouTube :D

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  11. Alex Spieth

Alex Spieth New Member

How did you know it was stolen?

12. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Did you read the thread??