I bought an T Mobile Iphone but I have Verizon service

Discussion in 'iPhone 7' started by FFAP1234, Jul 10, 2017.

1. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member
    Bronze

Does anybody know what I need to do to have it unlocked? The phone have been paid in full. Thank you all.

2. Mthoroughbred

Mthoroughbred Contributor
    Silver

I don’t think that you can use T-Mobile on Verizon network regardless if it was paid in full. However you can use it on AT&T. I know that Verizon iPhones are unlocked and you can use them with GSM networks but not the other way around.

3. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member
    Bronze

Thank you for your response. I just want to have the phone unlock. I went to T Mobile and was told I need an account with them for at least 45 days in order for them to process an unlock request. I open a prepaid account and now they tell me it doesn't apply with a prepaid account.

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The T-Mobile iPhone 7 does not have a CDMA chip, and therefore will not work with Verizon even after it is unlocked. Unlocking it would allow you to use it on AT&T and other GSM networks. T-Mobile should have an online form to request unlocks.

5. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member
    Bronze

Europa my understanding have been the same as what you said but according to T Mobile it will work with Verizon. To this point I don't need it for Verizon anyway, I want it for South America. There are conflicting information from the store and supervisor from T Mobile. One tells me after 45 days of been active with T Mobile they will unlock it. The other is one; I need to pay $100 to have it unlock. T-Mobile supervisor have been very rude to me that got to the point that hung up the phone on me. It is hard for me to believe that a supervisor would do that to a client. By all means I'm a T Mobile client since I open an account just to unlock the phone, I'm very disappointed by the way I have been treated. Thank you.

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It's not going to work on Verizon. The Apple store salesperson told me with full confidence that my full-cost AT&T iPhone 7 Plus (they didn't have a SIM-free 7 in stock, so I went with the AT&T version) would work with Verizon. I knew it wouldn't. It was automatically unlocked from day 1, as it should have been since I paid full cost, but it does not work with Verizon. I put a fiend's Verizon SIM to verify it and it didn't work. T-Mobile works fine on it. The 6s T-Mobile iPhone was dual radio, but not the 7.

You are eligible to get it unlocked for free as long as it's completely paid off. It will work on AT&T and other GSM networks, including those in South America, after you do this.

TL;DR: Things change every year. Store reps aren't always up to date on information. Verizon won't work on an unlocked T-Mobile iPhone 7.

7. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member
    Bronze

I appreciate all the information. I will keep trying with T Mobile, they are upset because I didn't buy the phone from them, thank you.

BTW this app won't work with IOS11 right? What am I going to do?

8. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Use the web version. Has more options than the app does anyway.

9. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member
    Bronze

I will thank you.