I bought mine today, my story.

TangoTango

Bronze
Jul 19, 2008
Las Vegas
I decided on the black 16Gig model for my iPhone. I had intended to wait a few weeks before getting my iPhone. I knew from reading the forums and looking at the Apple page that the phone supply was still selling about as fast as it was coming in. I visited a few of the AT&T stores in the area with the same result.... "We are sold out for today, check back tomorrow. The line forms early".

Last nights check of the Apple site showed both of the stores here would have the model I wanted availible for sale today, July 19th. Due to an odd combination of events, I found myself awake and active at what is (for me anyway) an unheard of early hour of the morning. Almost on a whim I climbed into the car to head to the Town Square Apple store at 6 A.M. (The Apple page says it opens at 10 A.M.). The temperature was already 85 degrees with the Sun not even fully risen above the horizon yet, heading to the days high of 106 or so.

When I arrived at about 6:20 I found out that there was already a small line! I was to be number 7 in line. The first 3 guys had got there at 5:30 and told me this was actually their second day in line. Numbers 4 and 5 were also veterans, this being the third day for them. Number 6 had driven over with his family from southern Utah to be at the store today. The Wife and youngsters were out eating / playing tourist / shopping and came by once or twice to see how Dad was doing.

As we were chatting, I found out a very nice bit of good news. The Apple store would actually open at 9 A.M. to begin selling iPhones, and open at 10 for all other sales. The line continued to grow as the hours wore by. I overheard snippets of other conversations and it seems like quite a few of my other line mates had been in lines at other AT&T and/or Apple stores before as well.

At 8:15, the Apple folks came out and set up the poles for the line, and we moved from our various shady spots into a more formal line. As 9:00 came, the greeters came out and we started. She asked each person which iPhone they came for, and how many they wanted. She gave each person a claim check and the inside clerk took part of the tag back to place on your phone. To keep everything orderly and prevent 200 people milling around inside at the same time, we stayed at the door until the Sales person met us with the third part of the claim tag. This went fast, and I was inside the door at about 9:10.

Once inside she gave me time to browse the accessories while she went in back to get my phone. The activation process was quick and painless. I had done my research and knew what documents to bring with me. I did not have a cell phone so there was no other carrier or contract or anything to worry about. The Sales person was very nice and answered all my questions, taking time to ensure I had the basics of operating my brand new iPhone 3G down pat.

As I left the store at 10:00, there were about 150 people still in line. I could feel some hungry eyes on me as I walked past with my white iPhone 3G bag in hand and a goofy smile plastered on my face. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

magnum man

Bronze
Jun 10, 2007
Congrats. I had a hard time getting it too. But thanks to some help from a member on this site, I got it Thursday and only waited for 15-20 mins in line.

adambodkins

Bronze
Jul 15, 2008
I got mine on iDay at around 8:15 from AT&T I was the fourth or fifth person in line but due to all the activation problems I had to wait at the store until noon just sitting there guarding my iPhone for the store opened at 8 and was sold out by 8:30 and there were around 100-150 people in line. I got to the store at 2:30 and sat in line.

Jake3G

Jul 17, 2008
Jacksonville, Fl
SWEET! good deal, yeah there seem to be some pissed off people all over the USA, same with me in my line, 100+ people not enough phones for all.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
Glad to hear it was a successful foray for you! And it sounds like at least one of the Apple stores has refined its 3G sales process to be as painless as possible. Hope you are enjoying your new iPhone!

yakob89

Bronze
Apr 16, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
Awesome yeah I just got mine on Saturday right before I had to go to work. I arrived at 730 and I was like 30th in line I was worried I was not going to be lucky enough to get one but indeed I was. I think they should have more people activating at one time. Thats what took the longest especially those who bought more than one phone. I had a guy in our line buy 4 iPhones. How do you guys like it so far?

CharQuake

Bronze
Jul 21, 2008
I got the black 16gig 3g today I just happened to stop by my local Apple store at 330 in the afternoon and they happened to have a 8gig and 16gig left from this mornings shipment what a lucky day :)

kisstine

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Northern California
I got the black 16gig 3g today I just happened to stop by my local Apple store at 330 in the afternoon and they happened to have a 8gig and 16gig left from this mornings shipment what a lucky day :)
Sounds like it was "meant to be". :D
Enjoy your new phone!

TangoTango

Bronze
Jul 19, 2008
Las Vegas
Congrats Char !

That was a nice stroke of luck !