i bricked my iPhone 3G

drewlrocks

Bronze
Jul 11, 2008
i have an iPhone 3g that is jailbroken and i wanted to unjailbreak it so i updated to 2.0.2 and now when i turn it on it shows the pineApple for a few seconds and a picture of steve jobs pops up with a word bubble coming out of his mouth with forin letters in it and i think i have fully bricked it i cant get it into dfu mode and i have tried like 50 times. if i take it back to Apple for replacement they will deny it. what do i do becides buying a new phone.

P.S. i am of with opening it if it is required to fix it.

thanks in advance for anyone who is willing to help

Drew

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
you say it wont boot in recovery mode? my advice, plug it in to you computer with iTunes running and try a recovery boot. hold both home and lock for 10 seconds then release until iTunes recognizes it. the iPhone has to boot in recovery if your doing it right i guarantee it'll work

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
i cant iTunes doesn't recognize it

btw thanks for replying so fast
It should recognize when you put the iPhone in recovery mode.

1. Press and hold the sleep button for a few seconds. Slide the red button to turn it off.
  2. Hold the home button and connect your iPhone to the computer with iTunes running.

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
It should recognize when you put the iPhone in recovery mode.

1. Press and hold the sleep button for a few seconds. Slide the red button to turn it off.
  2. Hold the home button and connect your iPhone to the computer with iTunes running.
these method should also work

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
I found this very simple, because it powers up and enters recovery mode instantly.
i started using it recently too, there are a lot of ways to enter recovery mode, some through certain applications too, but i don't believe an iPhone can be bricked

drewlrocks

Bronze
Jul 11, 2008
I found this very simple, because it powers up and enters recovery mode instantly.
that puts the phone in dfu mode and as i said in my original post i have tried over 50 times to get it in dfu mode

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
you have to keep holding the home long after the screen turns dark

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
you say it wont boot in recovery mode? my advice, plug it in to you computer with iTunes running and try a recovery boot. hold both home and lock for 10 seconds then release until iTunes recognizes it. the iPhone has to boot in recovery if your doing it right i guarantee it'll work
You Tube this way

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
that puts the phone in dfu mode and as i said in my original post i have tried over 50 times to get it in dfu mode
Turn the iPhone off and then hold the Home Key while you connect the USB to PC with iTunes running and hold home key until the iTunes CD and USB cord appears on the iPhone and that didn't work then I'm not sure what your doing or did.

Also, I heard someone mention using a different USB Port

Pimpboy51

Bronze
Sep 18, 2007
Orlando, Florida
I hope you get it fixed, if nothing works you have a real expensive brick. And of course Apple wont want it! You voided their warranty and hacked into it, what makes you think they would want it now?

Owgasm

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
My reason for never jailbreaking.
Don't want any chance of this happening.

Jul 6, 2007
Marietta, GA
about.me
Hey sorry I haven't replied back, I have been at the hospital for the past 4-5 hours.

Anyway, the only thing I can think of is exactly what the other guys already said.

drewlrocks

Bronze
Jul 11, 2008
I hope you get it fixed, if nothing works you have a real expensive brick. And of course Apple wont want it! You voided their warranty and hacked into it, what makes you think they would want it now?
i will try getting it into dfu mode longer after school today and if i cant get it i worst case scenario i was thinking about carefuly opening the screen leaving no marks and unplugging the screen then taking it to Apple and playing dumb and just say the screen wont turn on and mabee they'll replace it.

OhWhyMe

Bronze
Jan 17, 2008
i will try getting it into dfu mode longer after school today and if i cant get it i worst case scenario i was thinking about carefuly opening the screen leaving no marks and unplugging the screen then taking it to Apple and playing dumb and just say the screen wont turn on and mabee they'll replace it.
I really don't think you should do that, I think keep trying what the others said, I don't think you are putting into dfu mode correctly. I know you tried over 50 times but you need to keep trying, it should work.