I broke it

kylegod

Silver
Jan 1, 2008
Bethlehem, Pa
My iPhone no long has sound. It keeps getting that pop up that says 'this accessory is not made to work with iPhone' It also no longer makes calls or receives them.

Today i did try to put on the iwrap skin on it and while squeeging out the air bubbles and excess liquid, the liquid may have gotten in the phone. But the water detection mark in the headphone jack is white.

Should i try to dry it out or take it for a replacement.

And if i do will they give me a 16gb if i pay the difference

paa79594

Silver
Jul 23, 2007
Los Angeles
www.theplasticguys.com
Sorry to hear that, I didn't know those air bubbles had so much liquid. Hopefully they will let you pay the difference but I am not sure. Good luck dude.

kylegod

Silver
Jan 1, 2008
Bethlehem, Pa
Thats the thing. There isn't that much liquid. I just think it got in at the wrong spots and I was unlucky. Part of me wants it to get better and another part wants it to stay broken so I can get the 16gb.

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
1. first off, check that the moisture sensor has not been tripped - look into the headphone jack and if it is red, you're SOL.
2. restore if unjailed.

kylegod

Silver
Jan 1, 2008
Bethlehem, Pa
Check its white. I restored it twice to try to get it working again. doesn't matter though im not jailbroke. I hope they let me get the 16 gig for 100 bucks

lman

Silver
Oct 18, 2007
I have a feeling if they are replacing your phone they won't let you pay the difference..(they are trying to clear out the 8gb models) and usually replacements work in that they are required to give you the same phone. When i was with verizon, my phone broke and i couldn't get a different one and pay the difference.

But good luck, hope it works out for you.

stewcp

Bronze
Jul 24, 2007
Bristol, UK
What? The iPhones have a moisture sensor? Can you give me some more details on this?
Inside the headphone socket you'll notice a white shinny bottomed inside... if this changes colour, then apparently it mean the iPhone has suffered water damage!

DUKEL

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
S.D. CA 92109
My iPhone no long has sound. It keeps getting that pop up that says 'this accessory is not made to work with iPhone' It also no longer makes calls or receives them.

Today i did try to put on the iwrap skin on it and while squeeging out the air bubbles and excess liquid, the liquid may have gotten in the phone. But the water detection mark in the headphone jack is white.

Should i try to dry it out or take it for a replacement.

And if i do will they give me a 16gb if i pay the difference
If you are within 14 days you can upgrade to a 16 gb. You might have to pay a restocking fee though. Past 14 days forget it.

kylegod

Silver
Jan 1, 2008
Bethlehem, Pa
Damn. Phone wont even make calls. It just says call failed everytime. I have an appointement tomorrow. But I wander if I call them up and say the phone wont even make calls and i need it for work if theyll squeeze me in tonight

DUKEL

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
S.D. CA 92109
Damn. Phone wont even make calls. It just says call failed everytime. I have an appointement tomorrow. But I wander if I call them up and say the phone wont even make calls and i need it for work if theyll squeeze me in tonight
Yeah they hate me in there cause I always push my way into a same day appointment. :p

Posted fr. iPhone

kylegod

Silver
Jan 1, 2008
Bethlehem, Pa
haha. maybe ill give it a shot. theyre open another hour and a half.

also. I wonder if it might just start working agian. The sound now comes and goes as does making the calls. maybe by tomorrow itll be good again. If it is I might just buy a 16gb anyway and sell this one for 300 or so. Ive been having some good nights at the bar, might as well treat myself.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
If you water mark is white, with no external sign of damage, just go to the nearest Apple store and get a new phone. They're good about that

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
you know what you can do?

get this one replaced - then after that, sell the replacement (probably refurb) for $350-400 (its a new phone) and buy the 16gig

kylegod

Silver
Jan 1, 2008
Bethlehem, Pa
you know what you can do?

get this one replaced - then after that, sell the replacement (probably refurb) for $350-400 (its a new phone) and buy the 16gig
yes that would be very nice. Ill probably do that. That guy at the genius bar is gonna hate me. Im always there getting new stuff for minor stuff like dead pixels. No sound is a bit more important though. As is not being able to make calls.

kylegod

Silver
Jan 1, 2008
Bethlehem, Pa
Okay so the phone works fine when its being charged and has sound (sometimes). When I unplug it that "this accesory is not made to work with iPhone" comes up. And sound is gone. Weird. Tomorrow is gonna be so long. I cant wait to get another new iPhone.
And now i just found out the sound works if the alarm goes off. But wont work with ipod or videos or anything.

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
That really blows. Good luck, hope everything works out for you, I'd be sick.

kylegod

Silver
Jan 1, 2008
Bethlehem, Pa
That really blows. Good luck, hope everything works out for you, I'd be sick.
Oh trust me it makes me sick. Haha. And to think all this because i was trying to protect it with a screen film. wtf. Its gonna be the longest day at work tomorrow. My appointment is at 445. Now im wandering if i should just buy the 16gb while im there and sell the 8gb refurb they give me. hmmm?

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
my 400 post will contain this - a definitive yes, sell the refurb, AND QUICKLY because the price cut is like a storm to a small boat.. almost there, and a very scary thing to think of..

damn.. I paid $400 for an 8gig, and now they will have a 16gig for the same price..

at least I'm better off than the 4gig buyers will feel.. they paid $500 for a phone that had 4gigs, and soon, a 16gig will be available for $400..
that's technology.

400th post is over.