I can have an iPhone service without the Internet on?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Kaporal

Jan 3, 2012
Hi everyone. Does anyone know If I can have an iPhone service without the internet on? I would like to buy an iPhone for my daughter but I cannot afford the internet service at this time. I would just like to use it as an Ipod and phone. I called Verizon but since normally people do have internet service, Verizon’s response is “I don’t think so” not too convincing.
Does anyone know?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
I sold the iPhone4 to this guy 2 months ago. He has AT&T, he brought it in to them had the sim card cut to a sim and now he uses without any data. Same plan. He pays 50 a month.
I don't see why not.

rambo47

Contributor
Silver
Apr 4, 2010
Northern NJ
Supposedly AT&T does network scans periodically to determine what devices are on their network. If they detect a phone that, by AT&T's rules, requires a data plan they will simply add it to your account. This has happened to several BlackBerry users I know so they're doing something to detect connected devices.

bams50

Contributor
Bronze
Nov 23, 2007
I sold the iPhone4 to this guy 2 months ago. He has AT&T, he brought it in to them had the sim card cut to a sim and now he uses without any data. Same plan. He pays 50 a month.
I don't see why not.
Just yesterday I went into my local AT&T store and asked exactly this question. I wanted to give my 3gs to my son just for phone and text. He said it is not possible without buying a data plan. I guess, based on what Bennyboy said, I'll have to ask someone else at AT&T.

My son has an iPad and doesn't have interest in a full-fledged iPhone, but it would be much better for texting than his 5YO Razr flip. Are you sure somebody got it done, and on AT&T?

Iloveiphones

Genius
Platinum
Aug 5, 2010
chatsocially.com
Just yesterday I went into my local AT&T store and asked exactly this question. I wanted to give my 3gs to my son just for phone and text. He said it is not possible without buying a data plan. I guess, based on what Bennyboy said, I'll have to ask someone else at AT&T.

My son has an iPad and doesn't have interest in a full-fledged iPhone, but it would be much better for texting than his 5YO Razr flip. Are you sure somebody got it done, and on AT&T?
You can just use the iPhone without a SIM.

bams50

Contributor
Bronze
Nov 23, 2007
Yes, but if you just wanted your son to play with it you don't need phone service. Or text free with voice.
Right. But as I said, I wanted him to be able to use it for phone and text. As a 21YO college senior, he has lots of other toys he can "play" with;)

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
Right. But as I said, I wanted him to be able to use it for phone and text. As a 21YO college senior, he has lots of other toys he can "play" with;)
Find the closest AT&T store who's not a corporate store and ask them to do it. The guy I sold the iPhone to doesn't even speak English and he got one of the guys to cut the sim for him and activate the phone.
I just saw him today and he was complaining he doesn't have Internet unless he's on wifi. Can't win with that guy LOL

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
Hey, that's a good tip! How can I tell if a store is a corporate store or not?
I can usually tell by the size of the store or how much they have in stock. If you go to the AT&T website and check to locate store near you it might say on the search, I'm not sure.
The one near me I know it's not because they barely have any phones in stock, and they only got the iPhone last year, while a corporate store usually carry everything.
Just do a little research, or even call and ask, they should tell you.

bams50

Contributor
Bronze
Nov 23, 2007
Groovy! There are a few different 'Authorized Retailers' in my area, and my usual store is not.

I'll get to one later this week and report back to this thread with my results. Many thanks Bennyboy and Europa!

Misie

Bronze
Jun 14, 2010
Louisiana
I know for a fact you can but it would require a prepaid phone card. Which would cost I think 50 a month. I brought my neighbor to see about it and they did it. For him to have data on it he would have to purchase a prepaid data card for I think 25 for 200mb. But his iPhone 3GS is up and running with out data and they gave him a sim card for 1 cent.

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
Well, there you go. Thanks misie.
I wasn't sure how he did it, he told me it was 50 a month and that's all I knew.

bams50

Contributor
Bronze
Nov 23, 2007
I know for a fact you can but it would require a prepaid phone card. Which would cost I think 50 a month. I brought my neighbor to see about it and they did it. For him to have data on it he would have to purchase a prepaid data card for I think 25 for 200mb. But his iPhone 3GS is up and running with out data and they gave him a sim card for 1 cent.
Ow. If that's the case Iwon't do it. I can add a data plan for $18/month ($24-25% fed. employee discount) and can't see even that for how much he'd use it. Mostly the idea was to get my son into a phone with a keyboard for texting, and the 3gs is just sitting here. We can get him any of dozens of keyboard phones for little or no money.

We'll see what the store says.

Misie

Bronze
Jun 14, 2010
Louisiana
Well I know I wouldn't do it cause I have unlimited family messaging 30 mth for 4 phones and a family plan 700 mins mth with free mobile to any mobile for i think 79 or so a mth so to add another iPhone would only cost me 15 mth data and 9.99 mth phone service. But for my neighbor whom has no credit it was perfect for him.

Kaporal

Jan 3, 2012
Well, after all the responses and further research, I found that you can just use your iPhone as an Ipod and phone without internet service on. All the apps would work, the iPhone has wifi capabilities so the internet wouldwork when you’re near a wifi location such as home or school. This is all true for all phone providers except with Verizon. Unfortunately I have Verizon and their internet service is too expensive for me at this time. I wait till my contract runs out and change to another provider.
thnaks