I can't believe I did it.

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
I dropped my iPhone in the toilet. I immediately took it out, let it dry in the sun for a couple minutes, disassembled the iPhone, dried the inside a bit, and now it's reassembled sitting in a bag of rice.

I hope my steps didn't do more harm than good...

How many people have had this rice thing work?

:(

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think disassembling it is recommended. Either way, I think you've got a good chance that it will be ok. I've heard that you should power it off, do a quick dip in Isopropyl alcohol, and place it in a rice bag for several days, initially under a heat lamp.

Good luck with it !

Cjvdh

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2009
York, PA
www.twitter.com
I was just reading a similar story on here about this girl who dropped hers in the toilet whats up with all the iPhone's landing in the toilet. People keep your phone out of the bathroom!

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Another user dropped his iPhone in the toilet while urinating.

Good God, people - I'm pretty much joined at the hip to my iPhone, but even I take a break while whizzing...

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
After Apple told me my phone's water sensor had been activated, I choose to keep mine out of the bathroom all together. I certainly wouldn't leave it on the sink, or counter top for that matter, while brushing my teeth. IMO bathrooms and iPhones just have a bad history together.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I just don't use water in my bathroom anymore. Sure, it and I both smell terrible now, but at least my iPhone is safe and sound.

GauntMan

Jun 21, 2009
A tip if this happens to anyone else (works good with all water damage):

Get ahold of a bunch of those small bags you get in all electronic products you purchase, they are usually labeled "Silica gel". These pratically eat moisture. Where to get them in great numbers? Try the local home electronics shop. I had an ipod that got in contact with to much water (dropped out of my pocket into a bucket of water). Quickly I went to a nearby electronics store and got a whole shoppingbag of silica gel. Two days in the bag sealed tight and no more moisture, and the ipod has been working since then.

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
Nice tip on the silica gel. I think I'll keep those things in the future for emergencies.

HighLife

Aug 3, 2009
yep, i always keep the silica gel packs...never know when you going to need them...

Just toss them in a bag and collect them...

i know a few people who have had the rice trick work on other devices...no one i know dropped their iPhone in water though.

If they did, i would certainly recommend rice...if not, ill give them a few dozen packs of silica gel =)

Ill tell you what though, i bought some luggage not to long ago..3 bags total, Large-med-small....each one of those bags had about 10-15 packs of silica gel hidden in all the pockets. In case someone is buying luggage soon =)

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I love those things too.

They're delicious.

MrEous

Silver
Dec 11, 2008
Dallas, TX
My phone never goes into the bathroom with me...unless it's in my pocket. I'm wayyy to paranoid.

atldvd

Bronze
Jan 8, 2008
N.E. Oklahoma
My daughter's iPhone got wet. We soaked it in a baggie of rice for several days. Then I got to thinking that moisture can't escape the bag, so maybe sealing it up isn't good. I took it out of the bag and BURIED it in rice in a bowl. It stayed there several more days. Altogether it was about 10 days. Phone worked fine after that... for about 2 weeks. Then it died :(
If it happened again I'd find some silica gel. I don't think rice is effective. Plus, I'd leave it longer. Plus I'd probably change out the silica gel once or twice. Or, if you can find an oven or some such device where you can heat it up without damaging it, that might work, too.