I can't delete apps

Discussion in 'iPhone Apps and Games' started by robertpas, Aug 24, 2008.

1. robertpas

robertpas New Member

I bought iPhone 3g a few days ago. I downloaded a few apps and i want to delete some that i don't need. I've watched youtube tutorials on how to delete but it doesn't work. I hold down an icon until all icons start to shake, but no "X" appears. Are there any settings that need to be activated? Please help if you can.

2. FlwrPwer

FlwrPwer Evangelist
    Gold

That's odd. What apps are you trying to delete? I notice that no "X" appears on my apps that came with the phone, but with all apps that I downloaded, an "X" definitely appears.

3. robertpas

robertpas New Member

well i installed winterboard, a few games and a few gag toys and i am trying to delete some gag toys

4. FlwrPwer

FlwrPwer Evangelist
    Gold

ahhh....you're jailbroken....

things might be different. I don't jailbreak phones. To me, its like modding cars. Problems start to happen when you do too much "non-stock" things. At least, that's been my experience.

Someone here should be able to help you though.

5. robertpas

robertpas New Member

OK. Thank you ! :) ... still... i read somewhere that iTunes and several other apps that come with iPhone can be deleted. I accidentally made the icons shake in the store (before jailbreaking) and still no X appeared

6. LionOfTheSouthUK

LionOfTheSouthUK New Member
    Bronze

If the apps were downloaded from the App store then you SHOULD be able delete them by pressing the icon till it shakes and then press the X . If you are talking about apps downloaded via Cydia, go back into Cydia,then go to Manage at the bottom of the screen,click on Packages and delete from there.

7. LionOfTheSouthUK

LionOfTheSouthUK New Member
    Bronze

The stock apps cannot be deleted . You can download Boss Prefs via Cydia, and hide them, but you cannot delete them.

8. robertpas

robertpas New Member

You are THE MAN:cool::) I owe you one

9. steelCT

steelCT New Member

I did search, but only find where people are having problems getting to the delete mode, or apps reappearing after syncing.

My problem is a little bit different -

I can hold on an app and get everything to shake and can move apps around as much as I want. However, the little "X" for delete does not appear on ANY apps, whether they are the original one or not.

A double hard reboot did not work, so after I got home last night I tried syncing. I was able to delete an app through iTunes, but not on the phone after syncing. Afterwards I did a full restore of the phone which took all night. But all that that accomplished was deleting all of my music from the phone. I still cannot delete any apps via the phone.

The only weird thing that happened before this incident was that I received a random text that turned out to be a google activation code in Filippino. Everything that i saw on the interwebs said not to worry about this.

Any ideas on what the problem is and how I could fix it?

thanks

Chris

10. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

IF you are not jailbroken, I would say you are looking to do a restore. And for safety's sake, setup as new. This means you need to save all photo's, notes, and bookmarks before doing anything. (also email configs, and any other data you can think of that you will need.)
    Restoring and setting up as new will remove any possible "contamination" you might have.
    The alternative is to restore the phone, and then restore your profile to an earlier back up from before you got the "suspect" text message.

11. steelCT

steelCT New Member

Thanks - I guess that I will try a restore as new.

12. steelCT

steelCT New Member

Okay. I did a restore as new and still have the same problem. Does anyone have another idea as to what the problem could be?

Thanks

13. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Now, some of these apps are from the App Store, correct?

14. steelCT

steelCT New Member

Yes, these are all app store downloaded apps, not just the ones that came loaded on the phone. I am not jb and run 4.2.1.

15. fijiman

fijiman Contributor
    Silver

Hi
    Have you tried Restoring again, but not allowing any apps to be backed up to your iPhone. Download any free app, and see if you are able to delete it.
    This is to check if an app or apps is cause of your problem..?

16. kabaizer

kabaizer Member
    Bronze

There are some app I want to delete bot when I hold my screen in order to delete it,it doesn't allow me to do that,what can I do?

17. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

Mind sharing the apps? There are 22 apps you cant delete.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using my iPhone 4

18. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Speaking of. Do u think Apple will ever let us delete some of this on future iPhones? Like the stupid stock app. Don't use it to look at stocks and is in a folder of useless stuff labeled crap on my phone.

19. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

I think they will. If they don't, I'd like to see it not fount toward your GB.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using my iPhone 4

20. PinkBanana

PinkBanana Zealot
    Gold

If you are Jailbroken and have sbsettings (available in cydia) you can hide apps that you don't use much on your springboard.