I can't get my SSH to work.

guest4

Bronze
Mar 27, 2008
My WiFi works, for sure. I have a computer upstairs that I use it on. The information in my iPhone is correct, and I connect and it says I'm connected. But it still puts me through EDGE. And if I try and connect through SSH from my computer, it doesn't stay connected for some reason. It just says I lost the connection. The IP that I put in is correct and I put in the right username and password too.

Anybody know what I can do?

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
My WiFi works, for sure. I have a computer upstairs that I use it on. The information in my iPhone is correct, and I connect and it says I'm connected. But it still puts me through EDGE. And if I try and connect through SSH from my computer, it doesn't stay connected for some reason. It just says I lost the connection. The IP that I put in is correct and I put in the right username and password too.

Anybody know what I can do?
I know this is going to sound really weird but are you connected to the same access point with both your computer and your phone? I had issues when my computer was connecting to a different AP than my phone had connected to (on the same internal network).

guest4

Bronze
Mar 27, 2008
I am connecting to the same AP. And I'm using PuTTY. I tried out WinSCP as well, but I still get the same error, along the lines of "Network error: Connection timed out"

I called 1-800-MyiPhone and they said it's probably my router, cause I can connect at my neighbors house no problem. I have done all necessary steps to test the connection too, like rebooting the router, resetting the phone completely. All that stuff. So I guess I'm going to look into buying a new router.

coop1701

Zealot
Silver
Jun 30, 2007
I got the same thing, when I had encryption enabled on my router... So now I turn it off when I'm playing with my phone using SSH. Then turn it back on when I'm finished. But what you're describing is exactly what was happening with mine.