I can't upgrade all apps. I get "The item you tried to buy is no longer available."

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
I have 83 updates.* I try to "Download All Free Updates" and I get this message, and the update stops! I can't update ANY of my apps because of ONE app? Oh! Of COURSE I could update them one at a time. Can you imagine how long that's going to take?

What gives Apple? Anyone else experiencing this?

*How did I get so far behind? Don't judge me. You don't know. I lost power for a week because of Ike so I couldn't upgrade during that time and this thing I'm describing right now prevented me from updating any apps.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
Since every lazy poster¹ just fills up General Discussion as a dumping ground for every single post on this entire forum instead of posting to the proper forum and the mods² are so completely overwhelmed by people posting in the wrong forums I'm going to crosspost because no one ever seems to visit the other forums to even be able to give me an answer. I asked a week ago and no one's even looked (seriously! 23 views!), so here it is again, in the wrong forum.

¹Sorry to pick on you fellah's. I know that you aren't lazy. You are just going with the flow, as I am. But you do know that you posted in the wrong forum right? There is a whole forum dedicated to the iTunes/iPhone connection. Because things have been so out of whack, I don't blame you for posting in the wrong forum.

²No offense Chris. You are a great mod. But I do I wish you hadn't let this get out of hand a year ago. The first days we were highly organized. I remember a lot of posts being moved back then. I don't see that anymore. I guess watching every post to see if it was in the right/wrong forum just got to be too much of a hassle. You were just one man back then, right? The new posts do seem to have slowed to a crawl lately though, and you have additional mods.

Last edited by a moderator:

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Since everylazyposter¹ just fills up General Discussion as a dumping ground for every single post on this entire forum instead of posting to the proper forum and the mods² are so completely overwhelmed by people posting in the wrong forums I'm going to crosspost because no one ever seems to visit the other forums to even be able to give me an answer. I asked a week ago and no one's even looked (seriously! 23 views!), so here it is again, in the wrong forum.

¹Sorry to pick on you fellah's. I know that you aren't lazy. You are just going with the flow, as I am. But you do know that you posted in the wrong forum right? There is a whole forum dedicated to the iTunes/iPhone connection. Because things have been so out of whack, I don't blame you for posting in the wrong forum.

²No offense Chris. You are a great mod. But I do I wish you hadn't let this get out of hand a year ago. The first days we were highly organized. I remember a lot of posts being moved back then. I don't see that anymore. I guess watching every post to see if it was in the right/wrong forum just got to be too much of a hassle. You were just one man back then, right? The new posts do seem to have slowed to a crawl lately though, and you have additional mods.
You can bypass this problem by updating on your computer via iTunes instead of your iPhone. You also can do a hard reset on your iPhone then erase the app that is "Hanging" before updating again...Mark

Last edited by a moderator:

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
are the apps that you are trying to update even still available in iTunes? You know how Apple likes to snatch those apps off of their site!

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
Wow. You're pretty worked up about this. If no one responded to your first post, it's probably because no one here had a solution to your problem. I don't see people intentionally ignored here that much, so I don't think that was it.

With that said, what version of iTunes are you running? On a PC or Mac? A little more information about your set-up would help others try to figure out what the issue might be. Last time I checked, I didn't have a crystal ball to help me determine the exact circumstances surrounding the problems of others.

I can't speak for the other mods, but I regularly move threads to the right forum but don't consider myself to be "overrun". If you see a problem, you can help by flagging a thread (clicking on the little yellow triangle with an exclamation point in it below a member's name in the offending thread) and we'll check it out and move it if it needs to be moved.

EDIT: Oh, and I'm moving this thread to the iTunes forum where it belongs. ;)

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
You can bypass this problem by updating on your computer via iTunes
I am talking about iTunes dude. Not my iPhone. If an update in iTunes screws up, it stops the entire update process.

Macgirl, I'm not worked up. It just takes a few sentences to explain the issue of posts being in the wrong forum. And I don't have time to manage people constantly posting in the wrong forum. No one seems to care that much anyway or they would get reported more often.

I don't think I was intentionally ignored but I do know that people didn't even read my original post. How can I get any help if only 23 people even view the message?

Ok on topic. I'm on iTunes 8.0.1. Latest version. I've had this problem ever since Hurricane Ike.

I'm on PC. Windows XP.

Since this is an iTunes issue my model iPhone doesn't matter.

OJsakila I don't know if any of the apps aren't available anymore since there are (now) over 100 updates. If any of them aren't available then I would expect Apple to have done a better job of filtering them out and I would expect that they wouldn't stop the entire process. I mean seriously. Does Apple really have the attitude "you downloaded netshare! You get no updates anymore!" I know it's really just a glitch though. But I thought Apple was supposed to make good software. I expect better of a company with such strong fanboys.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
Ok, weird. I just tried again and got a HUGE message in the appstore that no updates were available and I might want to log in with a different account. WHAT?

Darn it, I left the appstore before I thought to do a screen capture. I forget the exact wording.

But now it says that I have no available updates. But I don't know how true this is. Let me sync my iPhone and see if it updates the 19 updatable apps on my iPhone.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
Well, all 19 of the apps on my iPhone are up to date. So now I don't know what's going on.

I guess, until I have to update these apps again we'll have to consider this problem on hold.