I deserve it. Call me an idiot.. just help...

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
O my God I'm an idiot. Showing off the phone to someone yesterday and was talking about how scratch-proof the screen is by raking my keys across the glass, (like I've done a 1000 times before), and managed to put a almost unnoticeable hair line scratch right in the middle of the phone. It is certainly a minor issue but I was wondering if anyone knows how I can "buff" this eyesore away... I know Apple has some stuff that will help but there are no Apple stores around...plenty of home depots, however...

Any help is appreciated and I'll take my "you're an idiot" comments like a man...I deserve it..:p

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
You could always try a jewelry store or a watch repair shop. Well, not a watch repair shop per se, but if you have a clock repair shop, the kind that works on antiques and stuff they can often work wonders with glass. My dad gave me a clock that is about 90 years old (one of the annoying bonging clocks) and I cracked the original glass in it. A clock repair shop fixed the glass and I did not need to replace it. Of course millage may vary and I have no idea how either place would respond to this situation.

PS - stop scraping your screen with keys!

BuzzLY

Oct 18, 2007
Ouch. For what it's worth, the glass is scratch-resistant, not scratch-proof, as you have discovered. You should be fine putting it in your pocket with your keys, but scratching like you did -- well, I guess I don't have to tell you, do I?

Just a word of advice -- when you buy a Timex that's water-resistant, feel free to wear it in the rain, but don't impress your friends by dropping it in the pool, ok?

:p

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
Yeah, the screen is very tough, but apparently the few things that CAN scratch it, scratch it WELL!

I've had my phone for months and until two weeks ago, it was like new. One evening, I pull it out of my right pocket (where I keep ONLY my iPhone), and plug it in to charge it. I immediately notice a U shaped scratch - no, a gouge on the screen. I hadn't dropped it or had anything else in my pocket. It looks almost like someone decided to check and see if their diamond was real! I assume I must have somehow gotten a piece of quartzite sand in my pocket or something.

Anyway, long story short, I've dropped the bugger about six times since then. The back of it looks like it's three years old! :(

Be careful, it's more vulnerable than ever now!

gcvt

Zealot
Gold
Jun 21, 2007
San Francisco
I won't call you an idiot because you already feel bad enough ;)

But, I second the jeweler recommendation. Someone on another forum reported great success in having their screen repaired that way. Best of luck!

ChaosAttractor

Bronze
Sep 27, 2007
You could always try a jewelry store or a watch repair shop. Well, not a watch repair shop per se, but if you have a clock repair shop, the kind that works on antiques and stuff they can often work wonders with glass. My dad gave me a clock that is about 90 years old (one of the annoying bonging clocks) and I cracked the original glass in it. A clock repair shop fixed the glass and I did not need to replace it. Of course millage may vary and I have no idea how either place would respond to this situation.
Yeah, but avoid "Sylar's Watch & Clock Repair". Have heard really bad things about that place.

Sep 28, 2007
Before you pay a jeweler to work on your iPhone, you might want to try using toothpaste on the scratch (yes, toothpaste). I've done this for years with scratched wristwatches, and it really does work. Just apply it to the scratch with your fingertips, rub it in reall well, then wipe it off. The toothpaste fills the scratch invisibly and effectively, and lasts a long time (at least on wristwatches, which admittedly don't get the kind of "hands-on" usage as my iPhone).

Just my $0.02.

Mike

mittenman

Silver
Jul 25, 2007
Nowhere, Mitten
Before you pay a jeweler to work on your iPhone, you might want to try using toothpaste on the scratch (yes, toothpaste). I've done this for years with scratched wristwatches, and it really does work. Just apply it to the scratch with your fingertips, rub it in reall well, then wipe it off. The toothpaste fills the scratch invisibly and effectively, and lasts a long time (at least on wristwatches, which admittedly don't get the kind of "hands-on" usage as my iPhone).

Just my $0.02.

Mike

I don't know if I'd try that, most toothpaste is pretty abrasive and may do more damage than good. It does work wonders for glass-top stoves though!

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
Have you guys seen that infomercial about some glass repair thing? You just take a cotton bud, dip it in the solution then wipe it over your scratched glass. It fixes it in no time.

And it's only.. get this, only $19.95. And if you buy it now, we'll give you another bottle of the miracle fixer and 5 iPhones, YES 5 iPhones, a $99.95 dollar value for FREE.

Seriously, it's out there somewhere, but I don't know if the stuff really works though. You might be able to get it from one of those "As Seen on TV" stores.

But if you still have no luck, my tree fidy offer is still on the table.

beej

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
If it really is an "almost unnoticeable hair line scratch" I'd get a screen protector and leave it alone. I scratched mine in the first week, but I don't even notice now unless I look for it. You'll kick yourself if you make the problem worse trying to fix it.