I destroyed my RAZR today (horror story)...

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Sign up

jphawkins

New Member
Bronze
Jun 9, 2007
123
0
0
Cartersville, GA
#1
I went swimming today. The water felt good and I had a great time with friends. I get out of the pool and run to get my towel (it was cold by this time). As I am running, I feel something hitting up against my leg. Sure enough, it's my RAZR. :(

It was soaked...battery was dripping with water. It won't turn on now...so I guess I may have to go 8 days without a phone. I have a feeling that this is only going to make this wait longer. Any suggestions on how to get it to turn back on?

Imagine if that happened with an iPhone... :( . I don't think I'm going to go swimming for a long time..especially once I get it. I'm too afraid now.
 

RchGrav

New Member
Bronze
Jun 8, 2007
242
0
0
#2
I went swimming today. The water felt good and I had a great time with friends. I get out of the pool and run to get my towel (it was cold by this time). As I am running, I feel something hitting up against my leg. Sure enough, it's my RAZR. :(

It was soaked...battery was dripping with water. It won't turn on now...so I guess I may have to go 8 days without a phone. I have a feeling that this is only going to make this wait longer. Any suggestions on how to get it to turn back on?

Imagine if that happened with an iPhone... :( . I don't think I'm going to go swimming for a long time..especially once I get it. I'm too afraid now.
The Electroluminescent lighting behind the keypad is very water sensitive. If its even damp when power is reapplied it will short the whole phone. Do not apply power, use a hair dryer first and then stick it in a large bowl of rice for a couple days. Good Luck!
 

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
5,856
2
38
Columbus, GA
#3
I went swimming today. The water felt good and I had a great time with friends. I get out of the pool and run to get my towel (it was cold by this time). As I am running, I feel something hitting up against my leg. Sure enough, it's my RAZR. :(

It was soaked...battery was dripping with water. It won't turn on now...so I guess I may have to go 8 days without a phone. I have a feeling that this is only going to make this wait longer. Any suggestions on how to get it to turn back on?

Imagine if that happened with an iPhone... :( . I don't think I'm going to go swimming for a long time..especially once I get it. I'm too afraid now.
This is from WebClaw on the MotoX RAZR modding site:

Before I start, LED's are the small lights that make your keypad bright, indicator light flash, and the battery status blink. The LCD is your screen! Do NOT get this confused.

There are many factors that damage a phone. Water is NOT one of them. No matter what you might think, water is not harmful to the main-board (mB also FEY mB {keyboard assembly}), LED's or XCOMM chips. What is harmful is when your battery is putting voltage through the cell phone, causing shorts, corrosion & ruining the mic/speakers.

Water damage is permanent if your LCD is affected. There is no way at all to repair water damage from an LCD. Your battery life will be terrible as the LCD will be shorting itself all the time. Additionally the backlight is a chemical, it degrades with moisture.

If you phone gets wet, do the following;

1. Immediately take out the battery, remove your SIM card and pray you LCD is not wet.
2. Make sure you review the repair guide for your handset; it will tell you how to take it apart without damaging anything.
3. Take apart your handset, separate the FEY layers. *FEY layers are the individual the mB layers, some phones have 3 FEY layers (they are the long pieces that have chips on them.
4. If you have a vX or vXXX or cXXX series phone, remove the mic and disconnect the speaker. Speakers will sound overly “trebly (very high pitched)” if wet.
5. Immerse the FEY layers in 30PCT rubbing alcohol or higher.
6. Get a Cutip and sweep the keypad, FEY layers and all contacts. Push fairly hard, your Cutip will turn a brown if you’re pushing hard enough. There is no need to worry about getting the LED’s wet.
7. Let the FEY layers sit for 2 minutes. Reswab with a Cutip sweeping everything.
8. Shake the unit in the solution, it will break up corrosion, and ensure there are no short circuits.
9. Place the FEY layers in a kitchen oven. Heat the oven to 200 degrees (Celsius). Do not worry silicon and those chips can take heat up to 400 degrees without melting! Let sit in the over ½ hour. If you have a FEY that is larger than a candy bar, let sit an hour.
10. Remove unit, shake well, and put back into the oven for another 10 minutes.
11. Take FEY layers out, let cool for 3 minutes and rebuild phone. Don’t forget to put your mic back in. The Mic can be dried out in the oven as well, but do not immerse in alcohol.

If you don't know how to take it apart, read poetic_folly's guide here.

Good luck!
 

radbrent

New Member
Bronze
Jun 15, 2007
132
0
0
#4
well in a way it's good... the razr blows! I can't stand this frekaing phone... I'm thinking I'll do some crazy destruction to it when I get the iPhone and take pictures of it... with my iPhone.
 

Arrakis

New Member
Bronze
May 30, 2007
58
0
0
#7
I'm keeping my phone as a Decoy. I'm going to a camp like 3 days after it's launch. I'm brining the iPhone(of course),also my old cell phone and ipod as decoys. There will only be like 3-4 people that will know i have it. (unless someone else see it.
 

ebrunn

Member
Silver
Feb 6, 2007
711
0
16
Minneapolis
#9
This is from WebClaw on the MotoX RAZR modding site:

Before I start, LED's are the small lights that make your keypad bright, indicator light flash, and the battery status blink. The LCD is your screen! Do NOT get this confused.

There are many factors that damage a phone. Water is NOT one of them. No matter what you might think, water is not harmful to the main-board (mB also FEY mB {keyboard assembly}), LED's or XCOMM chips. What is harmful is when your battery is putting voltage through the cell phone, causing shorts, corrosion & ruining the mic/speakers.

Water damage is permanent if your LCD is affected. There is no way at all to repair water damage from an LCD. Your battery life will be terrible as the LCD will be shorting itself all the time. Additionally the backlight is a chemical, it degrades with moisture.

If you phone gets wet, do the following;

1. Immediately take out the battery, remove your SIM card and pray you LCD is not wet.
2. Make sure you review the repair guide for your handset; it will tell you how to take it apart without damaging anything.
3. Take apart your handset, separate the FEY layers. *FEY layers are the individual the mB layers, some phones have 3 FEY layers (they are the long pieces that have chips on them.
4. If you have a vX or vXXX or cXXX series phone, remove the mic and disconnect the speaker. Speakers will sound overly “trebly (very high pitched)” if wet.
5. Immerse the FEY layers in 30PCT rubbing alcohol or higher.
6. Get a Cutip and sweep the keypad, FEY layers and all contacts. Push fairly hard, your Cutip will turn a brown if you’re pushing hard enough. There is no need to worry about getting the LED’s wet.
7. Let the FEY layers sit for 2 minutes. Reswab with a Cutip sweeping everything.
8. Shake the unit in the solution, it will break up corrosion, and ensure there are no short circuits.
9. Place the FEY layers in a kitchen oven. Heat the oven to 200 degrees (Celsius). Do not worry silicon and those chips can take heat up to 400 degrees without melting! Let sit in the over ½ hour. If you have a FEY that is larger than a candy bar, let sit an hour.
10. Remove unit, shake well, and put back into the oven for another 10 minutes.
11. Take FEY layers out, let cool for 3 minutes and rebuild phone. Don’t forget to put your mic back in. The Mic can be dried out in the oven as well, but do not immerse in alcohol.

If you don't know how to take it apart, read poetic_folly's guide here.

Good luck!
I would go thought all of that for a iPhone, but not a $99 dollar(or free) Razr.
 

iHuman

New Member
Bronze
Dec 16, 2006
216
0
0
Hells Kitchen, New York City
#11
Pull the battery, dunk it in rubbing alcohol, and swish around for a few seconds. Then shake it out like crazy in one direction. (like you're whipping something) set it on a windowsill near a fan or use a blow dryer. DO NOT PUT BATTERY IN IT RIGHT AWAY. I would wait at least a day or 2 before turning it back on.
You want to make sure all the droplets are off the board in the phone and away form the battery contacts.
I had soaked my treo 650 once...(imagine the horror) This was the method that worked
 

joe

New Member
Gold
May 5, 2007
1,113
0
0
#15
I dropped my lamePhone in water. I removed the battery let it dry out completely. The battery wouldn't charge or power the phone but it's been running fine on a new battery.
 

radbrent

New Member
Bronze
Jun 15, 2007
132
0
0
#16
Hey Radbrent is that a picture of the Millennium Force?
Nope. MF is blue :] It is Medusa at Six Flags Marine World (now known as Six Flags Discovery Kingdom) in California. :] I WISH THOUGH! I might be going to Cedar point this summer! with my iPhone!
 

nrs02

New Member
Jun 12, 2007
17
0
0
#17
Take the battery out, put the phone in the fridge. Leave it in there for a day. Put battery back in and it should work. I do this with all of my battery operated things, it aways works for me.