I dinged the metal band on my 4S can it be replaced?

Discussion in 'iPhone 4S' started by Flyingstar, May 3, 2013.

1. Flyingstar

Flyingstar Member
    Bronze

Dropped it and dented it right at the headphone jack. can just the top strip be replaced? wh would do it and how much would it cost? anyone?

2. JON35Y

JON35Y Member
    Bronze

It comes as a whole piece, you have to strip absolutely everything out of the phone to replace it. Part wouldn't be that expensive from eBay but the labour would be the main cost. If it was me I'd just live with it, and buy a case!

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I agree with JON35Y. You can't easily replace the band, so if it's just cosmesic it's better to just live with it and put it in a case if it bothers you.

Here's a picture of of the parts. You can see that the band is attached to the main housing.

image.jpg

4. Flyingstar

Flyingstar Member
    Bronze

Thanks everyone for the replys!

5. rom x

rom x Zealot
    Gold

are you thinking of replacing it with plastic. due to it being more durable?:)

6. Flyingstar

Flyingstar Member
    Bronze

No, I was not thinking of replaing it w/plastic..

7. Flyingstar

Flyingstar Member
    Bronze

Replacing.

8. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

I say replace, I've done a million screens and although its time consuming, it is easy if you take your time and follow directions. In summary, contrary to the advise here, it is not hard, just time consuming.

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

This isn't a screen replacement though. It doesn't look like it's an an easy fix and the housing is probably pretty expensive. I don't even see the main housing listed as a replacement part on iFixIt. Better off upgrading the phone for $200 (when eligible) or covering it with a case, IMO.

10. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Fixing the phone would be a lot of fun for me, I know the effort and cost may not add up, but it's the act of restoring what is broken. The part is not hard to replace, I've taken the iPhone apart completely and reassembled it before. :)

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

But it's not broken; it's dented. Fixing it would be costly and difficult enough that it might break something. It's just not worth it for a dent. I like tinkering with electronics too, but I factor in how the phone is currently functioning, cost and difficulty level when people start threads like this. Replacing it makes no sense at all in this case.

12. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Dented yes, but broken in his eyes because its not perfect.

13. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

I agree with those who say don't fix it. Put a case on it to hide the dent, and wait for your opportunity to get the next model upgrade. Too much hassle to fix IMO.

14. Flyingstar

Flyingstar Member
    Bronze

OK...I don't consider it "broken because it's not perfect" it is broken because the end of the top "strip" of metal is prodruding away from the side strip. The small dent at the jack has caused the strip to pullaway from the side a little.

15. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

Can you put a case on it to hold it down? Super glue? Maybe a picture would help to further explain the problem...

16. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Your original post led me to believe this was simply a cosmetic dent. Still, this is not an easy or cost-effective fix. Is it still functioning fine and can you cover it with a case? You can get a replacement for $49 if you have AppleCare+. Otherwise, Apple will likely charge you $229. If it's functioning fine and you can put a case on it to hide this, you're better off using a case and updgrading the phone for $199 (when you're eligible), IMO.

17. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Just fix it! Putting a case over seems like a lazy way to deal with this issue, it's like sweeping dirt under the carpet, fix it and you will preserve re-sale value much better than just hiding the blemish under a cheap case.

18. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Got a link for the part? He'd need the center piece in the pic below and I don't see it for sale on iFixIt.com. Looks like it will require near-complete disassembly of the phone. I'm curious why you're recommending such an extensive repair to someone without first asking them if they have done basic iPhone repairs and are comfortable with advancing to one that is difficult. I'm also wondering why you're failing to warn them that they might break something in the process and that they will void the warranty. Have you ever replaced the main housing? What were your results? If they even sell it and the part is over $150, do you think it might be worth it to have Apple fix/replace it? They won't charge more than $229 and the warranty won't be voided. Or better yet, just upgrade the phone?

Screen Shot 2013-05-05 at 3.23.51 PM.png

19. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Average iPhone user?

3pq91u.jpg

20. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

10 seconds on google :D

#20 liberated, May 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2014