I dinged the metal band on my 4S can it be replaced?

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
It's not OEM. And the other questions I asked?
Now you are desperate to win an argument. You never asked for OEM :D
As far as giving someone advice, well it's their phone, If you even consider this fix, I assume you know the basics or will get someone to do it for you. Yes, I have completely disassembled and rebuilt one iPhone 4S using two different iPhones. Europa, the part is available to be purchased, even if I didn't already do the fix, it is possible.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Now you are desperate to win an argument. You never asked for OEM :D
As far as giving someone advice, well it's their phone, If you even consider this fix, I assume you know the basics or will get someone to do it for you. Yes, I have completely disassembled and rebuilt one iPhone 4S using two different iPhones. Europa, the part is available to be purchased, even if I didn't already did the fix, you an assume it is possible.
You're right there; I forgot to ask for an OEM link. I always go with OEM parts, but the OP might be fine with non-OEM. I love the disclaimer on your link to the part. I was just curious if you had done it since it requires complete disassembly and you're recommending it to someone with a functional phone. Of course it's possible. I never said it wasn't. Please re-read my posts and don't assume I'm saying it's impossible. It does require a certain skill level, and you failed to ask the OP if he has that experience or is willing to take the risk. Again, I factor current state of the phone (functionality), cost, and difficulty level in to threads like this. I still think it's not worth a home repair in the OP's case.

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
You're right there; I forgot to ask for an OEM link. I always go with OEM parts, but the OP might be fine with non-OEM. I love the disclaimer on your link to the part. I was just curious if you had done it since it requires complete disassembly and you're recommending it to someone with a functional phone without first asking their skill level. Of course it's possible. I never said it wasn't. Please re-read my posts and don't assume I'm saying it's impossible. It does require a certain skill level, and you failed to ask the OP if he has that experience or is willing to take the risk. Again, I factor current state of the phone (functionality), cost, and difficulty level in to posts like this. I still think it's not worth a home repair in the OP's case.
Ok fine, your opinion, mine is different.

jmp316

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 10, 2008
10 seconds on google :D
Still a complicated install, one that I would never even attempt. If the band is coming off, can't he just use a dab of Super Glue to make it stick back on? Otherwise I'd just throw a case on it...

Last edited by a moderator:

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
Still a complicated install, one that I would never even attempt. If the band is coming off, can't he just use a dab of Super Glue to make it stick back on? Otherwise I'd just throw a case on it...
One thing I'll give all the nay sayers in this thread, this repair is not for the faint of heart. I'd do it in a heart beat :D

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I'm wondering if the OP will ever voice their opinion in here again, or just staying away?
I guess we'll have to wait and see. One thing's for sure though - liberated and I will have polar opposite opinions/suggestions in our replies. :D

Reactions: liberated

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
I guess we'll have to wait and see. One thing's for sure though - liberated and I will have polar opposite opinions/suggestions in our replies. :D
Europa, thanks for being so gracious with your posting, it's hard to find anyone that will keep cool when discussing opposing views in any topic. :)