I don't get it, do any apps stay "open"?

dvigue

Bronze
Jun 22, 2009
maine
New iPhone user here, and LOVING IT!

like on a Blackberry you can open another app and the app you were using still runs in the background for notifications and such. does this not happen on an iPhone? it seems when im in an app and i hold the home button to get to my app screen it closes, like IM+, facebook, i don't get notifications until i open them.....and push mail is a lot slower huh?

iPhone 2g, OS 3.0

zeluiz22

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
Only mail, ipod, phone and Safari

It truly sucks that you cannot continue listening to an internet radio app while using other apps. It is a weakness of the device that cannot be understated, although some here will say it's no big deal.

Jailbreaking fixes this with an app called backgrounder. I'm waiting for a jailbreak on the S.

dvigue

Bronze
Jun 22, 2009
maine
It truly sucks that you cannot continue listening to an internet radio app while using other apps. It is a weakness of the device that cannot be understated, although some here will say it's no big deal.

Jailbreaking fixes this with an app called backgrounder. I'm waiting for a jailbreak on the S.
is that app wasy to install? mine is jailbroken...where can i get it? i tried to install winterboard today and i had to restore my iPhone :(

zeluiz22

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
It is in Cydia and is called 'backgrounder.'. Great app.

dvigue

Bronze
Jun 22, 2009
maine
i did a search in cydia and it is not there?>

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I'm finding myself yearning for Backgrounder and SBSettings (and I haven't had them for quite some time) now that I'm toggling 3G a lot. And I think the 3GS can handle backgrounding...

I think I'll shall taste the dark side again when it's available... see if the 3GS can chomp through the lag like it chomps through everything else... :)

dvigue

Bronze
Jun 22, 2009
maine
i got that sb settings, very nice...i like it a lot

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
I'm finding myself yearning for Backgrounder and SBSettings (and I haven't had them for quite some time) now that I'm toggling 3G a lot. And I think the 3GS can handle backgrounding...

I think I'll shall taste the dark side again when it's available... see if the 3GS can chomp through the lag like it chomps through everything else... :)
I dunno. It's kinda nice to have a totally clean device.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
It is, but I've been doing that since 2.0 basically. I'm ready for something new. Not like it's hard to come back if it sucks.