i don't have a plan that has data... can i disable EDGE?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Jun 30, 2007
hey guys,

ok, so i got my iPhone unlocked for my old Cingular SIM following directions on www.hacktheiPhone.com
i did this because i'm currently on an "add a line" with my gf's family plan.
i don't pay to have a cellphone, so i didn't wanna sign a new contract.
problem is, gf's family plan doesn't have data, but i think i've connected to EDGE by accident when there wasn't wireless around, but i would stop the page from loading

on my usage page,
sent: 208 KB
received: 626 KB

is that gonna be a lot of money? how much is it per KB?
also, is there any way can disable EDGE?
i'm around wi-fi enough that i don't need it.

any help would be great!

thanks!

drconehead2000

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
hey guys,

ok, so i got my iPhone unlocked for my old Cingular SIM following directions on www.hacktheiPhone.com
i did this because i'm currently on an "add a line" with my gf's family plan.
i don't pay to have a cellphone, so i didn't wanna sign a new contract.
problem is, gf's family plan doesn't have data, but i think i've connected to EDGE by accident when there wasn't wireless around, but i would stop the page from loading

on my usage page,
sent: 208 KB
received: 626 KB

is that gonna be a lot of money? how much is it per KB?
also, is there any way can disable EDGE?
i'm around wi-fi enough that i don't need it.

any help would be great!

thanks!
Although I am not 100% sure about this....it seems that the data should be $0.01 per kb...which in your case would be $8.34....here is the link under media net...since you don't have an iPhone plan.

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/m...ia-entertainment/faq.jsp?locale=es_US#pricing

Hope that helps

petalmom

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
Sorry, although many think that there should be (primarily for international use) there's no way to disable edge.

Jun 30, 2007
Ok so I called the international line and had them disable all GPRS (EDGE).
My excuse was that I was traveling to Canada for businesss and wanted to use my iPhone’s functionality, but I didn’t want to use data cause’ it was so expensive $/kB.

I actually called twice.

After I called the first time, I still saw the “E” at the top left of my iPhone, so I was worried it didn’t work. But I didn’t want to try Safari cause’ I didn’t want to be billed anymore for data.

So I called back.

As I was speaking to the rep the second time, I was sure to hint at entering in the “NWIX” SOC code and then going into “Snooper” to remove all GPRS functionality.
She was like “wow, you know a lot about what we do over here, but yes, I’ve turn off all GPRS (EDGE) or anything that’ll allow you to use data”
But I told her that I still saw an “E” at the top left of my phone.
She then asked me what phone I was using, I was reluctant to tell her I was using an iPhone since I have it unlocked to use my old cingular SIM. I’m also not on an iPhone plan, I’m on a regular old “add a line” no data or text messaging family plan
She then stated that a lot of people are having problems disabling GPRS (EDGE) on their iPhones, but told me to wait it out and see what happens. She actually wanted me to call back to let AT&T know my results, as to whether or not it worked.
So after 2 hours, I still saw the “E” at the top left of my phone, so I held my breath and decided to try and see if Safari worked.

Low and behold, it was disabled, check out the attached pictures!
Even though you can still see the “E”, GPRS (EDGE) is FULLY disabled.

I dunno why it worked, but my iPhone’s GPRS (EDGE) is completely disabled. Maybe it’s because I unlocked it to use my old cingular SIM card on my non-iphone plan, who knows, but it worked.

I now have an iPhone which I can use on my $9.99 “add a line” non-iphone plan. I have all functionality of my phone except for visual voicemail and youtube, useless to me anyways. And now that GPRS (EDGE) is fully disabled, I’ll stop getting charged for unnecessary data kB when wireless kicks out every once in a while.

I am officially a happy camper

Attachments