I don't RSS

coasts

Zealot
Gold
Jul 15, 2007
New York, NY
www.lomohomes.com
yeah, don't even really know what it means. i picked up "Headline" from MacHeist a while back, but i couldn't figure out what to do with it.

anyone care to clue me in?

Patrick, I'm looking at you...

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i'm with ya.

i kinda prefer being out of the loop. i figure the important s*** will get to me eventually, and everything else, well... won't.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Hi Coasts. Yes, guilty - I love RSS, and RSS readers - specifically Google Reader.

I'm pretty sure RSS stands for Really Simple Syndication. My way of describing what it is, at least for me, is the very best way of managing information overload on the web. For me, what that means is there are currently slightly above 200 sites I like to follow on the web - almost all mobile tech and general tech sites, with a small smattering of general interest stuff thrown in.

There's no way I'd get round all those sites every day and really have any kind of look at their content without RSS. But by subscribing to the RSS 'feeds' from each of those sites (nearly all sites have a feed, or more than one) I can keep up with all of them with the help of a good reader app.

Google Reader (in a desktop browser and on the iPhone) allows me to see a manageable chunk of info from ALL of those sites, every day. It lets me view their content in one big stream (from all of them) or one feed (site) at a time. It lets me browse through them seeing headlines (post titles) only - and expanding out to see an article excerpt with a single tap / click - or browse with all in excerpt / summary view already. I can also group feeds into folders (by category for example).

If the summary interests me enough, I can either follow a link to go to the original article (if it's not all contained in the feed item, this varies by site) or 'star' the item for getting back to later. I can also share items via email, or via my own 'Shared Items' folder, which has its own public page just waiting to be enabled in settings. My friends and colleagues can choose to subscribe to my shared items, so they see what I think is interesting each day - and of course I can, and do, subscribe to theirs too.

There's lots more to it, but that's a little intro. Happy to fill in more blanks or answer other questions if there are any ...

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
I find the opposite. RSS plagues the internet with too much content. I subscribed to appshopper's free apps rss feed and there are like 300 a day. Most feeds I have seen seem to add content very frequently and I never get a chance to read it all.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
It's a quick way to get all the latest news headlines from the news sites of your choice and then you can pick and choose which articles you want to read.

I use the "Feeds" app a lot. I'm very happy that they recently added a rotation lock feature. It's omission was my only complaint the first several months that I used it. It drives me crazy when I'm laying in bed on my side and the screen is flipping back and forth from portrait to landscape.

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
I use feeds, and i only subscribe to 3/4 sites feeds. The EIC forum feed works great.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
I find the opposite. RSS plagues the internet with too much content. I subscribed to appshopper's free apps rss feed and there are like 300 a day. Most feeds I have seen seem to add content very frequently and I never get a chance to read it all.
The exact reason I stopped using RSS Feeds.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I don't think that's so much an RSS issue, as an individual feed issue. Apart from App Store feeds (which are nuts because of how fast the App Store is growing) it is very rare or unheard of to see 300 new items a day - even very big sites like Engadget and Gizmodo don't pup out that kind of volume.

And honestly, even for the crazy App Store feeds, an RSS reader is a more efficient way to browse through them (if you needed / wanted to) than any other method ...

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
whilst in discussion of RSS for the people that don't use it, but would like to know how.

What is the best app for the iPhone to view RSS feeds on?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I haven't found an RSS feed that I consider worth my time, so I've stopped with them altogether. And considering how time I have some days, this is saying a lot.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Whats this google reader i keep hearing about? i have done the google searches- but it look a little confusing.

Thanks

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Whats this google reader i keep hearing about? i have done the google searches- but it look a little confusing.

Thanks
Google Reader is Google's RSS reader application. There are only really 3 'big' RSS readers - Google Reader, NetNewsWire / Newsgator (same app, Mac and PC versions) and Bloglines. Not surprisingly, Google's is the most widely used and has the most 'hooks' into other services all over the web etc. - hence I think it's easily the most useful.

If you don't care much about syncing / connections to other services / add-on features like sharing etc. then there are lots of good reader apps for the iPhone - Feeds (mentioned above) is pretty good and so are several others ...

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Feeds and Twitter = Massive Information Download. I use them both and there are days when I feel my head is going to explode.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I use the "Feeds" app and consider it one of my most useful applications. I have it set to display the 20 most recent headlines for my (free) RSS subscriptions (AppleInsider, Slashdot, CNN, Google, MSNBC, Astronomy, and Wired). If you want to load more, you can click "Get 20 more items". I don't feel overwhelmed at all, it's a quick and easy way to stay up to date on all the latest technology and news. I only spend about 10 minutes a day using it and it keeps me up to date on current events faster than any other media source could.

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
I use RssRunner here in the UK on my iPhone, i don't need it to sync or anything - just update me when a new forum post has been made or a new Lost spoiler is up ;) so it works great for me.

Free download - although a little buggy on 3.0 beta 2

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Both Feed and RssRunner seem useful to me, I can't believe my ignorance, i have always ignored looking into RSS. But for the things you like or have a potential interest in then there's nothing better!

So far i'm impressed!