I don't think flash will ever come..

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Nuggets

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
Since all the youtube videos are being converted to h.264, does anyone else think that it's a sign that we'll never get flash support on the iPhone? I think flash opens up too many possibilities like streaming video, music, radio. All the things that Apple wants to charge us for in the future. Flash is probably the single most important feature that the iPhone needs right now, at least for me.

iPaul

Bronze
Jun 25, 2007
Minneapolis
Since all the youtube videos are being converted to h.264, does anyone else think that it's a sign that we'll never get flash support on the iPhone? I think flash opens up too many possibilities like streaming video, music, radio. All the things that Apple wants to charge us for in the future. Flash is probably the single most important feature that the iPhone needs right now, at least for me.
Maybe it's my imagination, but it seems to me like they've stopped converting the vids... Everytime i come across a new youtube video in a blog or something, it doesn't work! I would assume that if this is a permantent solution they would be converting all new videos as they are uploaded from the launch day forward, but it doesn't look that way to me. Perhaps there are plenty of new videos if you scroll through the "featured videos", but none of the ones my friends posted in the past or that I find on the web have been converted either. Is it possible that this format has been aborted?

sdge

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
The real question is "will ignoring flash make Apple more money?". I think no.

Apple has been riding the iPhone hype and it's starting to sizzle. A lot of complaints about its shortfalls. The fact that they can sell you movies and music and all sorts of other things that you can get through flash won't impede what they'll do with the iPhone.

I mean I can access all sorts of stuff through flash on my home PC, doesn't mean I am not going to buy it (although I buy no media) through iTunes for other reasons. Better quality, ease of use, etc.

They can't compete in this new market, especially when WM7 comes out, without implementing flash.

Overall, the amount of money they would lose on iTunes sales because people are watching the content in flash instead of buying it would not even come close to the amount of iPhone sales they would lose because the device could not play flash.

That my 2 round copper coins.

xoulo

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
i really hope that Apple wouldn't come up with any plans of charging us for videos and stuff.. make flash availabe for everyone and that will boost its rank to be the best smart phone available in the market:sick:

spazzman90

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I agree. Flash does need to be implemented in order to keep with the whole 'this isn't the baby Internet' thing. If flash was implemented and some of the memory bugs taken care of, I would say this product was delivered exactly as promised, and I would recommend it and most likely be in line for the next version.

-Jeff

edmartin

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
I hardly think that there is a direct and sole correlation between Flash on the iPhone and any single site - You Tube included. The virtual world is much larger than You Tube. Flash will come.

Nuggets

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
I hope you guys are right. I would be next in line for the 3G version if that ever hits the market. The first iPhone I got was for my wife. Works great for her but I'm hoping for flash support, save to iPhone from browser support, etc.