I don't think I need iCloud

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

ivantwilliams

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 14, 2009
I've been playing with iCloud for over 24 hours now. And to be honest, I really don't think I need it.

The iOS 5 itself is great, and iMessage is simply brilliant.

Does anyone else feel the same?

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
My guess is that it's the first step in a bigger, broader plan. I agree, it feels more like a cloud backup. That's perfectly fine and all, but I'd like more access to that content, without having to perform individual downloads.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I'll use it for iPhone backup since I can't tell iTunes to save local backups anywhere but my space-limited system SSD drive. This will free up a couple gigs locally.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
iCloud is really best for people who don't already sync their contacts/calendar/email with other cloud services. I use Google for all those things and it works well so I'm not eager to port over.

But yeah, the iPhone should have had this service right out of the box. It vastly simplifies the complicated issue of proper sync.

ivantwilliams

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 14, 2009
psylichon, you're spot on! That's why I'm not jumping up and down about iCloud since I use GMail for Calendar, Email and contacts...

radtechy

Contributor
Bronze
Jul 20, 2011
How does it work for backup? It says in the phone I have 5 GB of iCloud....do how does it work exactly when you have 10 GB of data on your iPhone?

I was under the impression that you back up the whole thing do you don't have to connect to a computer?

I also use google for contacts, email, and calendar myself and if it's not broke I'm not gonna try to fix it

Also how is the wifi sync? Any real advantage to not using the USB cable.

Oct 15, 2011
Go to settings select iCloud go to the bottom select storage and backup and there is a switch called iCloud backup, default is "off" just turn it on & your in businesss.
Personally I am giving iOS 5/iCloud 5 thumbs up, I am constantly down loading and it saved me a whole lot of work transferring my appointments & contacts from my iPhone to my new iPad was key point in my choice of tablet. Android with flash or iPad 2 with auto sync. They key with iCloud is you don't have to be on iTunes to sync the contacts while with Google you have to be on PC/Mac & iTunes and sync it. As far as I'm concerned give me simultaneous syncing.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
How does it work for backup? It says in the phone I have 5 GB of iCloud....do how does it work exactly when you have 10 GB of data on your iPhone?

I was under the impression that you back up the whole thing do you don't have to connect to a computer?
Backups don't include everything on your iPhone. For example, music, videos, books, apps... basically anything that is already saved in iTunes is not backed up. This amounts to things like other application data like SMS, login info, settings, call record, pictures, notes, etc.

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
Can someone explain to me in a "iCloud for dummies" way why it says it's almost full. At thought at first we had " plenty of space "

Edit: nevermind, got it figure it.

Mendo88

Dec 8, 2010
I too use Google for my mail and contacts. I have no use for iCloud, I do have a few issues.

All of my purchased films/music from iTunes, will they be stored or recorded somehow? So if by some disaster my laptop breaks will I be able to access them through a new computer?

And somehow I have 2 copies of my photo album? I can't seem to 'un-sync' one.

Oct 3, 2009
Go to settings select iCloud go to the bottom select storage and backup and there is a switch called iCloud backup, default is "off" just turn it on & your in businesss.
Personally I am giving iOS 5/iCloud 5 thumbs up, I am constantly down loading and it saved me a whole lot of work transferring my appointments & contacts from my iPhone to my new iPad was key point in my choice of tablet. Android with flash or iPad 2 with auto sync. They key with iCloud is you don't have to be on iTunes to sync the contacts while with Google you have to be on PC/Mac & iTunes and sync it. As far as I'm concerned give me simultaneous syncing.
You don't have to be on a computer to sync stuff with google. My S2 synced with google and sent all that info to my iPad2 and my Mac. No connection necessary. Did email, calendar, contacts, etc etc.

ivantwilliams

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 14, 2009
I've done a lot of research over the past two days. And I can now confirm, I'll simply stay with GMail\Google for now. It simply syncs everything for me. Plus, I prefer to backup directly to iTunes myself.

So, for now, I don't need iCloud. As for FindMyiPhone, I'll simply use the dedicated app...