I don't want my email or messages visible on screen

Discussion in 'iPhone 5S' started by fanboy, Sep 5, 2014.

1. fanboy

fanboy Member
    Bronze

My 4s, there would be an icon in the top bar showing wither a envelope or chat bubble to indicate a new email or text.

This 5S does not seem to have this feature. I do not want my emails or messages to be visible on my screen.

Any work around this?

2. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I think you are referring to the different settings for your alert notifications. I'm going to point you to a few helpful tutorials.

These are alerts:

alert-notification.jpg

These are banners:

banners-notification.jpg

Here's the quick overview:
    1. Navigate to Settings > Notification Center
    2. Scroll down to ‘Include’ section. Here you will find a list of preferences for both stock and third-party applications.
    3. Select the app that you would like to turn off notifications.
    4. Tap on the ‘None’

Hope this helps. If not, please describe a bit more about what you are trying to accomplish and I'll do what I can to help.

3. fanboy

fanboy Member
    Bronze

Thanks, but the problem is I will not know when I receive a text or email. There are no icons like in previous OS.

So, lets say i do not here an audible sound to indicate a new message. I can wake up the screen and see an icon indicating a new message.

With this new OS i would have to unlock the phone and look at the app icon or go into the app to see.

4. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Ok, I think I know what you're trying to accomplish. You would like the app icon, but not the message. If a notification comes in, you want it to appear in the lock screen. Here's an example of this, along with screenshots outlining the settings needed to get this done.

IMG_1439.PNG IMG_1440.PNG IMG_1441.PNG

#4 chris, Sep 5, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  5. fanboy

fanboy Member
    Bronze

That somewhat works, thanks for that.

I say somewhat because it still shows the name of person/company who sent the text or email. A simple icon would be enough..

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It sounds like your 4S was jailbroken. You can still get those icons in the status bar if you jailbreak your 5s.
    image.jpg

7. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Just use a sound alert! There are several tones to choose from. You could have the alert on the "pull down" notification center, and no one would see unless you pull the screen down in front of them.

8. fanboy

fanboy Member
    Bronze

Yes Europa, it was JB- where can I get those icons for my status bar?

I jail broke my 5S last night and have it just about setup like my 4S, except for the icon stuff. I cannot seem to find in cydia

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

OpenNotifier iOS 7 is one of the tweaks that adds icons to the status bar. You'll need to add this repo before installation:
    http://www.tateu.net/repo/

10. fanboy

fanboy Member
    Bronze

Following the directions- cydia finds nothing. The link takes me to the app, I install it and it gives an error message. will reach out to dev.

#10 fanboy, Sep 5, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  11. fanboy

fanboy Member
    Bronze

Alright, I figured out how to add the repo and all that stuff.

If anyone does not know, this works very well. A big thank you do Europa for pointing me in the right direction.

Last issue, the screen does not wake up when text is received but I saw an app that flashes your screen for events like messages, etc.