I dropped my iPhone!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

masond24

Jul 25, 2007
Last night I dropped my phone and the screen is smashed. There are no dents or scratches on it at all. I dropped it facedown. The phone is still functioning 100%. Has anyone had experience with repairing the screen through Apple. I don't have much money to pay for repair. Does Apple possibly repair this for free at a lower cost through the warranty. I live 3 hours from the nearest Apple store.

**Update**

I called on Wed., return box Thurs., New iPhone in my hand today!

I'm not for sure what happened!

I talked to 5 different reps. at Apple Care Center. 4 of 5 told me to cough up 220-250 dollars. 1 person told me it was covered by my warranty, that was the person I asked to send me the box. I told every person the same story. It was my fault (I dropped it) but, I wanted to know if it was covered by warranty.

Maybe Apple is covering one-time accidental damage? I dunno, but this is the first Apple product I have ever bought and I will be a customer again and again whether it was a fluke or not.

brinox

Bronze
Apr 30, 2007
Last night I dropped my phone and the screen is smashed. There are no dents or scratches on it at all. I dropped it facedown. The phone is still functioning 100%. Has anyone had experience with repairing the screen through Apple. I don't have much money to pay for repair. Does Apple possibly repair this for free at a lower cost through the warranty. I live 3 hours from the nearest Apple store.
happened to me, but you might search around here for details about what happened to my situation (which Apple finally took care of yesterday!).

long story short, you will be paying for the repair as accidental damage is not covered (my quote was $275). i got lucky because some repair tech slipped the wrong repair bill thingy into my box and i called Apple on their mistake.

Trust me, i feel your pain, but its easier if you just suck it up and shell the money out some more for the repair.

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
They don't repair accidental damages. I've heard it costs somewhere around 270$ to repair the screen. Jeez, this is case #2 that I've seen.....SCARY. :(

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
What's horrible is that many people falsely believe that the iPhone is nearly indestructible because of this video that circulated.

This lead to all sorts of media hype that resulted in botched repeats of the "test" above. What most people discovered is that while the screen is very scratch resistant, it's not indestructible or even very tough if dropped directly on its screen. As several people here have also found out the hard way is that the screen can also be scratched if care isn't taken.

You need to armor your phone as much as possible without messing with the aesthetics. For me a clear screen protector and an InCase black rubber shell protect my phone superbly. Some folks have reported finding scratches on their chrome strip around the screen from debris getting under the InCase's rubber. I haven't had this problem, and with several commercial products such as this: http://www.radtech.us/Products/IceCreme.aspx you can easily remove scratches. Personally, even if my InCase did scratch my chrome (which it hasn't) I would rather have invisible scratches (covered by the case itself) than a damaged iPhone body due to being dropped. Scratches are easily dealt with if your anal, dented cases and broken screens aren't so easily dealt with.

Last edited by a moderator:

jbaraga

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
www.baraga.me
There's no reason why Apple would/should repair a broken screen for free, or even at a lower cost. It's accidental damage and wouldn't be covered under warranty.

You wouldn't expect a watch manufacturer to cover a broken watch crystal, would you? Or a TV manufacturer to cover a TV screen that broke when you ran into it with a piece of furniture you were moving?

Apple doesn't trade at $120+ a share by charging people $500 and $600 for phones, and then doing $300 worth of repairs for free when people drop them on the sidewalk. I'm not trying to sound like a jerk, but I don't understand why any of this should be Apple's responsibility.

Errk!

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
There's no reason why Apple would/should repair a broken screen for free, or even at a lower cost. It's accidental damage and wouldn't be covered under warranty.

You wouldn't expect a watch manufacturer to cover a broken watch crystal, would you? Or a TV manufacturer to cover a TV screen that broke when you ran into it with a piece of furniture you were moving?

Apple doesn't trade at $120+ a share by charging people $500 and $600 for phones, and then doing $300 worth of repairs for free when people drop them on the sidewalk. I'm not trying to sound like a jerk, but I don't understand why any of this should be Apple's responsibility.
I totally agree.

Although OP wasn't criticizing Apple or saying they owed him a replacement. Can't fault the guy for at least asking if it is covered. What gets me is when people are careless, break something, then get mad at the manufacturer about it.

eplantz

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
did you buy the phone with American Express which may include their "purchase protection" for 90 days? in that case, they pay for accidental damage.

masond24

Jul 25, 2007
It's gonna cost me 215.00 to repair! I don't expect them to repair it for free. But I can't believe that they have to charge 215.00 for a piece of optical glass. This is the first phone I have ever dropped. Couldn't come at a worse time. Not asking for pity but I was layed off from work last night and I dropped it in the parking lot on my last night.Thanks to the posters who tried to help and offered me advice. What sucks is that the Apple store personnel told me accidental damage was covered for one year.

kdarling

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, NC, CO
It's gonna cost me 215.00 to repair! I don't expect them to repair it for free. But I can't believe that they have to charge 215.00 for a piece of optical glass.
You must have the 4GB? It's $50 more for an 8GB, usually.

Basically, what Apple is charging for repairs, is their cost for the entire phone.

You're right, the glass alone should be cheap. But apparently it's all part of the same piece, including the LCD and touchscreen. You can go here:

http://pdaparts.com/

And order just those parts for $140 (was $99 a week ago!), and replace it yourself if you also get a couple of cheap tools from them (the case opener tool, and the tiny screwdriver), and have some patience (watch their video).

Good luck!

Conan

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
It's gonna cost me 215.00 to repair! I don't expect them to repair it for free. But I can't believe that they have to charge 215.00 for a piece of optical glass. This is the first phone I have ever dropped. Couldn't come at a worse time. Not asking for pity but I was layed off from work last night and I dropped it in the parking lot on my last night.Thanks to the posters who tried to help and offered me advice. What sucks is that the Apple store personnel told me accidental damage was covered for one year.
Man, that sucks... do you use any kind of protection for the iPhone or you carry it around naked?

masond24

Jul 25, 2007
You must have the 4GB? It's $50 more for an 8GB, usually.

Basically, what Apple is charging for repairs, is their cost for the entire phone.

You're right, the glass alone should be cheap. But apparently it's all part of the same piece, including the LCD and touchscreen. You can go here:

http://pdaparts.com/

And order just those parts for $140 (was $99 a week ago!), and replace it yourself if you also get a couple of cheap tools from them, and have some patience (watch their video).

Good luck!
Yep, it is a 4gb. that makes no sense right there that they would charge $50 more for the model that has more memory.

kdarling

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, NC, CO
Yep, it is a 4gb. that makes no sense right there that they would charge $50 more for the model that has more memory.
Like I said, I think they're charging their cost for the device (probably slightly more, to cover shipping expenses etc), in case they have to replace it outright (as a "repair").

If it actually is repairable for less, then oh well, they just made more money.

PhatKid

Bronze
Jul 25, 2007
Wow, that's bad times. I know you're not asking for pity, but I still feel bad for you. Hope that works out.

brinox

Bronze
Apr 30, 2007
yes, like its already been said, Apple seems to be charging the standard bill of materials cost per which device you have (4gb or 8gb) and then a bit more. makes sense seeing as i received a brand new handset rather than the original one i had.

my initial thoughts were also the case where the glass 'screen protector' were attached to the screen/touch sensor system in such a way that to replace the glass by itself would warrant a much harder replacement.

i think isuppli probably added these numbers into their cost model...

anyway, i am very sorry to hear the same news i heard. my only difference was i broke my screen 6 days after iDay, which nearly made me puke on multiple occasions.

masond24

Jul 25, 2007
Wow, that's bad times. I know you're not asking for pity, but I still feel bad for you. Hope that works out.
Thanks PhatKid, I go back to school in September. So it was just a summer job. But, we all need to make money while we can.

Kdarling, I checked out pdaparts.com and I can do the replacement. But, they have no screens available till late August. And this way I get to keep my warranty from being voided. Thanks for the link.

I should be receiving my loaner iPhone tomorrow or Friday. I will update the thread and let everyone know how my experience with Apple support goes.

Again, thanks to everyone that offered advice on my op.

masond24

Jul 25, 2007
Misunderstanding?

I received my Apple Care return box today from Fed-Ex. No loaner phone was included like I requested. The estimated cost of repair was $0. Covered by my limited warranty. I suppose this is a mistake, I did need the phone this week. But... if they repair the phone at no cost. I can live without the loaner.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
yes, like its already been said, Apple seems to be charging the standard bill of materials cost per which device you have (4gb or 8gb) and then a bit more. makes sense seeing as i received a brand new handset rather than the original one i had.
You got a brand new handset for what, repair service or warranty?

If that is the policy then fine. But if they are actually repairing these things then $50 more for LCD replacement on 8 GB models seems out of line. What does memory have to do with the LCD?

Conversely, would they give an 8 GB unit back if someone agreed to pay $50 more to repair a 4 GB model? ;)

--
Mike

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I received my Apple Care return box today from Fed-Ex. No loaner phone was included like I requested. The estimated cost of repair was $0. Covered by my limited warranty. I suppose this is a mistake, I did need the phone this week. But... if they repair the phone at no cost. I can live without the loaner.
Good luck with the repair! Dayum, I feel guilty about not having my screen break during two hard falls. :eek:

--
Mike