I finally agree! The iPhone was incorrectly reviewed by most!

lostman24

Bronze
Jul 28, 2007
Hi guys! I just wanted to say, from first hand experience, that anyone that gave the iPhone a bad review is simply mistaken. The iPhone is by far the best phone out there. Many people cited many of the problems that have been left out of the iPhone and the fact that many of the other phones have better features. I recently sold my iPhone and bought an ATT Tilt. It has copy/paste, messaging, etc etc....it is LOADED with features. However, the major factor everyone is overlooking is ease of use. Everyone states that the iPhones ease of use as one of its good features, but with cell phones, ease of use should be the forefront. Not just for beginners of smart phones but for experienced users. When I get a txt on the ATT TILT, I have to take out the phone, pull out the stylus, click the power button on, hit the small new message button, read the message, open the phone sideways, type out the message and click the reply button. It is very aggravating, it may not sound it, but doing it for every txt I get, and I get a lot. Also, it has 3G! I was so excited to use a 3g phone before the iPhone 3G is released to see what it is like. OMG-IT IS HORRIBLE. I don't even want to explain the process of opening the internet on that phone nor how hard it is to get to where you want on the page...the list goes on and on but the fact is simple: If you stack up the features of the iPhone with others the iPhone will loose, but who is going to use a notepad when it is buried within the phone as apposed to one click? The iPhone is the only phone I will ever use again.

Duckman

Bronze
Apr 11, 2008
Preaching to the choir here...but

I have to agree...I got heckled for not getting an N95 and was told that the iPhone was too gayh. After having a N75...I will agree the speaker and speaker phone was probably the best I have ever heard...and after the great looking screen...there really wasn't much there....way to labor intensive to get anywhere or do anything.

The only thing I miss is just a one button speed dial...but at this point I don't care. Dang I have a device that I kind of have fun with. Even without G3...I am very happy wit the speed.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Glad to hear it. I completely agree; iPhone > all.

- John

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
I have had many arguments over which phone is better but when it comes down to it, the iPhone just makes sense. I don't think I could go back to a normal phone.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
I have had many arguments over which phone is better but when it comes down to it, the iPhone just makes sense. I don't think I could go back to a normal phone.
If I had to go back to a 'normal' phone, I think I would throw myself to the floor and pound my fists and kick my feet like a big baby!

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I tell everyone who complains:

"take it as a whole"

It always wins when you do that.

JWiPhone

Genius
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I agree. I have looked at a number of new 'smart' phones, ie Blackberry and, the demo for the Samsung Instinct, and other iPhone contenders. I'm still sold on the iPhone. The secret is in its simplicity of design and OS. This is coming from me who has always been a PC and Windows person. I will definitely be purchasing the iPhone 3G.

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Hi guys! I just wanted to say, from first hand experience, that anyone that gave the iPhone a bad review is simply mistaken. The iPhone is by far the best phone out there. Many people cited many of the problems that have been left out of the iPhone and the fact that many of the other phones have better features. I recently sold my iPhone and bought an ATT Tilt. It has copy/paste, messaging, etc etc....it is LOADED with features. However, the major factor everyone is overlooking is ease of use. Everyone states that the iPhones ease of use as one of its good features, but with cell phones, ease of use should be the forefront. Not just for beginners of smart phones but for experienced users. When I get a txt on the ATT TILT, I have to take out the phone, pull out the stylus, click the power button on, hit the small new message button, read the message, open the phone sideways, type out the message and click the reply button. It is very aggravating, it may not sound it, but doing it for every txt I get, and I get a lot. Also, it has 3G! I was so excited to use a 3g phone before the iPhone 3G is released to see what it is like. OMG-IT IS HORRIBLE. I don't even want to explain the process of opening the internet on that phone nor how hard it is to get to where you want on the page...the list goes on and on but the fact is simple: If you stack up the features of the iPhone with others the iPhone will loose, but who is going to use a notepad when it is buried within the phone as apposed to one click? The iPhone is the only phone I will ever use again.
On my HTC 8525- using until I get iphone- when a message is received the phone turns/ or wakes itself up from sleep/standby. . .The Tilt doesn't do that? Also mine or ours have a dedicated message button so why do you have to the stylus to message icon(Or is that what you were referring to?)
-But I do have to admit that the keyboard, or just having a keyboarded phone gets annoying after the "I gotta a new phone" feeling wears off:p Cause after that like you said if starts to become aggravating if not a nuisance to have to slide it out for message, coupled with the fact the with 3-4 months the keyboard will begin to loosen:mad:

Elbacanazo920

Bronze
Dec 23, 2007
Bronx, NY
iPhone takes the cake for me just cause it mad my life a whole lot easier and the media player is perfect. I honestly think the iPod feature is what i love the most. If any touch screen phone has a UI like the iPhone and a music player like it, I probably think about getting but till then; looks like I'll be set till the middle of 09.

iPhone-v2

Bronze
May 7, 2008
seattle
I could not agree with you more!... what ever you said is 100% true.... and about the whining regarding iPhone didn't have 3G(has anyone used 3G on any of other smart phone before? The speed just sucks in others smart phones like HTH, tilt, etc. as folks the internet speed doesn't only depend on the network but also on what type of phone are you using), battery(i mean what the hell.. name one smart phone who is even near to the iPhone in terms of battery, they might have got the faulty battery i guess),Keyboard(I simply love typing on my iPhone, only those people are complaing who have freakingly bulky fingers or who did not give it a try. Typing on iPhone is just purely FUN...!)
and so on!
And now they are talking about that the iPhone 3G is not yet that cheap! I mean comeon! Now those who wanted 3G phone in first place are whining about the increased data plan... if they knew so much about 3G.. Its so sad that they did not know that no 3G phone comes with less than $30 pm plan.
I can count you infinite number of invalid whinings....

Runamuck

Bronze
Jan 30, 2008
I disagree entirely. I think the iPhone reviews overhyped the "fantastic and innovative" phone features of the iPhone. It is, hands down, the worst phone I've ever used.

Is it pretty? Yup
Is it gimmicky? You betcha...the little spinning graphic when you switch between the keypad and the phone features looks like something the geniuses at the Pontiac division of GM cooked up. All flash, no value.

But as a pure phone, there are far too many features missing from the device.

Things I miss when using my iPhone that I have become accustomed to on Bberries, HTC's, etc:

1) Easily recall a recently dialed/received number while on a call. With iPhone all you can do is look at your stored contacts while on a call.
2) Easily store a number someone gives you on a phone call, either as a new contact or in a scratchpad function....and I'm not even going to whine about lack of cut-and-paste here either.
3) The speed of just making a simple phone call is slower on the iPhone, requiring more button presses than on a "complicated" Bberry or many other PDA/Phone combo's. Example from a similar locked state on both the iPhone and my Pearl assuming both are returned from standby mode to main menu:

iPhone: 1: Slide, 2: enter passcode, 3: Touch phone icon, 4: Touch Keypad icon, 5: Dial number and hit Call (4 and 5 could also be hit Contacts then select contact and number but that's more steps). Minimum 5 steps to placing a call.

Bberry: 1: Enter passcode, 2: Dial number (smart enough to know you are dialing a phone number), 3: Hit Send key. 3 steps. Can also dial by contact in fewer than 5 steps.

Quite frankly, this was Apple's first attempt at creating a phone interface and their Computer-only experience shows. They made the iPhone resemble the UI more of a Skype or VOIP-based phone metaphor rather than really attempting to create a killer phone UI.

So as a pure phone that I use everyday (logged 2800 minutes last month on my iPhone) I find so many things missing, some big and some small. Then again, I'm not a phone neophyte. If this was my first phone or I just simply was a simpleton, maybe I'd not miss these features and think the phone really was "revolutionary." But at least in the VOICE feature department, the thing is at least 2-3 years behind the leading edge for features.

Runamuck

Bronze
Jan 30, 2008
So your saying the iPhone is. . .
Design over functionality? :)
I'm saying it's a 1st generation effort from an inexperienced phone design team who couldn't quite figure out the basics because they did little to no competitive research. But that's pretty much the standard for Apple. They proclaim something "innovative" without ever really considering "productive innovation."

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
I'm saying it's a 1st generation effort from an inexperienced phone design team who couldn't quite figure out the basics because they did little to no competitive research. But that's pretty much the standard for Apple. They proclaim something "innovative" without ever really considering "productive innovation."
Man, but are YOU in the minority! :p

Runamuck

Bronze
Jan 30, 2008
Man, but are YOU in the minority! :p
Look at the example I posted earlier. It's just one real world sample of where the iPhone's UI, while "purdy" is less efficient than just about any other phone on the market.

I don't mind being in the minority when I'm right. :laugh2:

Disclaimer: I'm an Apple fanboi. The only Windows installs left in my household or workplace are Boot Camp. I am an iPhone developer. I work closely with Apple on a number of projects. I am also an Apple consumer and frankly, experiencing their myopia from both sides of the table, I can tell you emphatically that by about the third release they finally relent and give in to the unwashed masses that usability and productivity need NOT be mutually exclusive components of a UI. OSX is a great example of this.

But if you personally believe that the v1 iPhone UI for the phone features is the best-in-class in the marketplace, then you either aren't very demanding of your CE gear or just went with the whole swamp-gas theory of "if Apple says so, it must be true."

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
Look at the example I posted earlier. It's just one real world sample of where the iPhone's UI, while "purdy" is less efficient than just about any other phone on the market.

I
You're so wrong. WTF do you get your info? Is that why there are so many BB-killers, and so many iphone-wannabes now? Because the iPhone sucks? Your opinion, while respected, is just an opinion and nothing more. Look up the stats. Either way, we all have our opinion, and I respect yours. But most of us will heartily disagree with you.;)

and BTW, if Apple says so, it must be true!

Jul 17, 2007
baby oahu
iPhone is actually the only phone ever I can carry for more than 2MONTHS.... I can't get bored of my iPhone....

Duckman

Bronze
Apr 11, 2008
Hay RunamuckiPhone...what are you even here for....