I finally agree! The iPhone was incorrectly reviewed by most!

patrick_83

Bronze
Oct 11, 2007
Illinois
iPhone: 1: Slide, 2: enter passcode, 3: Touch phone icon, 4: Touch Keypad icon, 5: Dial number and hit Call (4 and 5 could also be hit Contacts then select contact and number but that's more steps). Minimum 5 steps to placing a call.

Bberry: 1: Enter passcode, 2: Dial number (smart enough to know you are dialing a phone number), 3: Hit Send key. 3 steps. Can also dial by contact in fewer than 5 steps.
1: i don't use a "passcode" so it would be 3-4 steps for me depending on if the keypad was up from last time

2: textile keypads are outdated.

3: how many steps do u think a BB with a touch screen would take if it doesn't have a textile keypad...

Edit: Just noticed you also said u cant do anything but look @ contacts while on a call, BUT you are wrong again :-/ i just tried it and infact i was searching my music while i was calling my house...

Michael Baturin

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
South Jersey
I have to agree immensely with the OP (and most others here). I cannot tell you how many people have pulled out a touchscreen phone that "does the same things as the iPhone." Most of the time they are my friends so I just smile and say "oh cool" but I feel like saying, "righhhhhhtttt" These phones that allow swiping through contacts, pages, etc. are as to iPhone as cassette tapes are to CD's. Their responsiveness, screen quality, and navigation are second par to the iPhone.

The 4 or 5 additional features a few of these phones offer fail to propel these phones past the iPhone. Their internet is a far cry from the experience on the iPhone. Their OS and firmware are ill-equipped to work with the phones hardware, that is, it takes way to much time to receive a response from a motion performed on the screen. In general, there is no doubt that the iPhone is, and has been for the last year, the best phone on the market.

Just wait 6 months from now. I would almost guarantee at $200 + 3G the iPhone will be the most seen phone around. It will literally set the new standard for what a cell phone should be and can do.

Runamuck

Bronze
Jan 30, 2008
1: i don't use a "passcode" so it would be 3-4 steps for me depending on if the keypad was up from last time
Fine, so take out the passcode for both the Bberry and the iPhone. Now you've got 3-4 steps to make a phone call on an iPhone versus 2 on a Blackberry. Still 50% LESS productive for doing something as simple as dialing a phone number on an iPhone.

Edit: Just noticed you also said u cant do anything but look @ contacts while on a call, BUT you are wrong again :-/ i just tried it and infact i was searching my music while i was calling my house...
Way to miss context. :)

I was talking about phone features. I even gave examples.

Runamuck

Bronze
Jan 30, 2008
You're so wrong. WTF do you get your info? Is that why there are so many BB-killers, and so many iphone-wannabes now? Because the iPhone sucks? Your opinion, while respected, is just an opinion and nothing more. Look up the stats. Either way, we all have our opinion, and I respect yours. But most of us will heartily disagree with you.;)

and BTW, if Apple says so, it must be true!
I didn't say the iPhone sucks, but your interpretation of that leads me to believe you have no desire to debate anything as you are intimidated by facts.

Between May 2007 and Feb 2008, Blackberry's market share for smartphones increased by 6% globally. INCREASED. If the iPhone is a Bberry killer, how could RIM's market share INCREASE? The real market share stolen by Apple has been from Palm and, to a far lesser extent, Nokia/HTC/Windows Mobile, not RIM. This is WHY Microsoft allowed Apple to collaborate and offer tighter Exchange connectivity....they realize that Exchange, not Windows Mobile, is their ticket to revenues in the mobile arena.

My company develops apps (same apps for the most part) for both RIM and now iPhone devices. I follow market share for both devices very carefuly. I believe strongly the iPhone will improve over time or we'd not be making the investment in the platform that we are. As a consumer-grade device, it's unique and interesting. But as a phone, it's not the best and not even close to the best. If it WERE, Apple would have ZERO plans to improve the phone features, correct? I assure you, they are putting MOST of their development effort into the phone features right now and encouraging third parties to do likewise. They addressed the enterprise connectivity features explicitly because they knew that they offered an inferior grade of connectivity to enterprise-class email/calendar functions (Exchange).

So to sit there and proclaim it's the best is to argue with Apple, not me. But if you are happy with your view, which is not shared by Apple product strategy, then have fun.

Runamuck

Bronze
Jan 30, 2008
Hay RunamuckiPhone...what are you even here for....
Market research, sharing of ideas, looking for ways to improve the product.

Obviously, not something most of the posters in this thread are here for I guess?

crupp

Bronze
Sep 27, 2007
Atlanta
When you say improve the radio are speaking about reception, call quality, or more from the consumer interface perspective? I do agree with you to a degree that dialing a number is a bit more tedious.

I would add that I will take the stability of the iPhone OS over a BB or Win OS any day of the week. I have used all (like most) and have not to do a hard reset or turn off yet.

I do think you offer some good opinions that should be discussed and not flamed

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
I also can never go back to a "regular" cell phone. My family is so proud of me for almost having the same phone for 1 year next Monday, thats a record for me because I was always upgrading for new technology. After going with my family to Verizon for them to upgrade their phones and playing around with the Voyager, Glyde, etc. I can honestly say I have no interest in having anything else but an iPhone whether it be v1 or v2.
Also,
if you look on the web and youtube there are several well known "gadget geeks" out there that their job is to review all the latest new technology and gadgets. Most will tell you the phone they own for their personal use: iPhone.

lostman24

Bronze
Jul 28, 2007
But as a phone, it's not the best and not even close to the best. If it WERE, Apple would have ZERO plans to improve the phone features, correct?
Well actually, very incorrect. Let's look at an example: Nintendo had the best game system with the NES. This was the BEST. Did they then throw aside all desire to improve upon the project because it was the BEST at the time? haha no, that is why we have N64, WII, etc. Phone companies must ALWAYS improve upon their tech with the ever-changing, ever-advancing age. However, you are confusing what we are saying I believe. We are saying that the iPhone is the best phone out their right now, not the BEST possible phone that it could ever be at this point in time. Of course features are missing but honestly, who has ever used features like notes, internet, maps, the MP3 function, on any of their phones as much as the iPhone? I know all of my previous phones had these features plus more, but I never used any of them once. Yes the phone pad for the phone is hard to get to, nice catch as it is one of the hardest features to get to as almost everything else is easy, but the fact is that when on a normal phone you have to, for example, pull out a stylus, slide the phone open, click the windows home button thing, scroll down to programs, click programs, scroll down till you see notes, click notes, click new note all just to take a note that you will probably never check? You are right, we need to improve the iPhone, however, it IS the BEST out their at this moment because the idea is simple: You can load 500,000 features on a computer loaded with viruses that is slow, and put 100 on a computer that is clean and fast. What would you pick? Usability is the forefront.

Duckman

Bronze
Apr 11, 2008
Runamuckster said...

But as a phone, it's not the best and not even close to the best. If it WERE, Apple would have ZERO plans to improve the phone features, correct?
To me that is almost a trolling statement. Not even worthy of going down that road.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
I didn't say the iPhone sucks, but your interpretation of that leads me to believe you have no desire to debate anything as you are intimidated by facts.

Between May 2007 and Feb 2008, Blackberry's market share for smartphones increased by 6% globally. INCREASED. If the iPhone is a Bberry killer, how could RIM's market share INCREASE? The real market share stolen by Apple has been from Palm and, to a far lesser extent, Nokia/HTC/Windows Mobile, not RIM. This is WHY Microsoft allowed Apple to collaborate and offer tighter Exchange connectivity....they realize that Exchange, not Windows Mobile, is their ticket to revenues in the mobile arena.

My company develops apps (same apps for the most part) for both RIM and now iPhone devices. I follow market share for both devices very carefuly. I believe strongly the iPhone will improve over time or we'd not be making the investment in the platform that we are. As a consumer-grade device, it's unique and interesting. But as a phone, it's not the best and not even close to the best. If it WERE, Apple would have ZERO plans to improve the phone features, correct? I assure you, they are putting MOST of their development effort into the phone features right now and encouraging third parties to do likewise. They addressed the enterprise connectivity features explicitly because they knew that they offered an inferior grade of connectivity to enterprise-class email/calendar functions (Exchange).

So to sit there and proclaim it's the best is to argue with Apple, not me. But if you are happy with your view, which is not shared by Apple product strategy, then have fun.
I've never perceived the iPhone as being a BB-killer, nor do I think that is the intent. Apple just wants in on the action--a piece of the pie, so to speak. I have no use for a smartphone, but I like tech, so the iPhone is perfect for me.

Plus, no matter how good something is, it can always be improved upon.

MaverickC17

Bronze
Dec 29, 2007
iPhone

I disagree entirely. I think the iPhone reviews overhyped the "fantastic and innovative" phone features of the iPhone. It is, hands down, the worst phone I've ever used.

Is it pretty? Yup
Is it gimmicky? You betcha...the little spinning graphic when you switch between the keypad and the phone features looks like something the geniuses at the Pontiac division of GM cooked up. All flash, no value.

But as a pure phone, there are far too many features missing from the device.

Things I miss when using my iPhone that I have become accustomed to on Bberries, HTC's, etc:

1) Easily recall a recently dialed/received number while on a call. With iPhone all you can do is look at your stored contacts while on a call.
2) Easily store a number someone gives you on a phone call, either as a new contact or in a scratchpad function....and I'm not even going to whine about lack of cut-and-paste here either.
3) The speed of just making a simple phone call is slower on the iPhone, requiring more button presses than on a "complicated" Bberry or many other PDA/Phone combo's. Example from a similar locked state on both the iPhone and my Pearl assuming both are returned from standby mode to main menu:

iPhone: 1: Slide, 2: enter passcode, 3: Touch phone icon, 4: Touch Keypad icon, 5: Dial number and hit Call (4 and 5 could also be hit Contacts then select contact and number but that's more steps). Minimum 5 steps to placing a call.

Bberry: 1: Enter passcode, 2: Dial number (smart enough to know you are dialing a phone number), 3: Hit Send key. 3 steps. Can also dial by contact in fewer than 5 steps.

Quite frankly, this was Apple's first attempt at creating a phone interface and their Computer-only experience shows. They made the iPhone resemble the UI more of a Skype or VOIP-based phone metaphor rather than really attempting to create a killer phone UI.

So as a pure phone that I use everyday (logged 2800 minutes last month on my iPhone) I find so many things missing, some big and some small. Then again, I'm not a phone neophyte. If this was my first phone or I just simply was a simpleton, maybe I'd not miss these features and think the phone really was "revolutionary." But at least in the VOICE feature department, the thing is at least 2-3 years behind the leading edge for features.
You are really splitting hairs when you are comparing speed of making a phone call by counting steps. I rarely use my iPhone for a phone anyway. Mostly Text, Email, Surf The Web, Video iPod, Music iPod, and the other 50 applications I have on there from Jailbreaking.

The entire user interface is just better than anything on the market. And when people are complaining about the iPhone 3G they are complaining in comparison to the original iPhone, because it is on an entirely different level than other smart phones. Why do other phones need 3G if they don't have a full browser. Navigating on a mobile browser would drive me nuts. Turn by Turn GPS would be nice and I think it's just a matter of time we see an App released that will do that.

I'm not even going to get into the Apps that you will have when the App Store opens or if you want to Jailbreak it when it is available.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
You are really splitting hairs when you are comparing speed of making a phone call by counting steps. I rarely use my iPhone for a phone anyway. Mostly Text, Email, Surf The Web, Video iPod, Music iPod, and the other 50 applications I have on there from Jailbreaking.

The entire user interface is just better than anything on the market. And when people are complaining about the iPhone 3G they are complaining in comparison to the original iPhone, because it is on an entirely different level than other smart phones. Why do other phones need 3G if they don't have a full browser. Navigating on a mobile browser would drive me nuts. Turn by Turn GPS would be nice and I think it's just a matter of time we see an App released that will do that.

I'm not even going to get into the Apps that you will have when the App Store opens or if you want to Jailbreak it when it is available.
Not only is the user interface better, it works so well with the OS of the iPhone. The entire user experience is a relaxing, enjoyable one compared to other phones of the similar ilk.

iPhone-v2

Bronze
May 7, 2008
seattle
wait a min.., IT WAS NEVER ABOUT BB-KILLER, hell no body wants to compare iPhone with BB, however it was always abot iPhone killers... and you all know who comes out as a winner and whiners:laugh2:

Runamuck

Bronze
Jan 30, 2008
You are really splitting hairs when you are comparing speed of making a phone call by counting steps. I rarely use my iPhone for a phone anyway.
If you rarely use your iPHONE as a PHONE, then I have no quarrel with your dispute of my measurement. But I didn't buy an iGADGET or an iPODWEBSURFERTHINGIESELDOMEUSEDASAPHONE, I bought an iPHONE and as such, I feel qualified to critique that it's PHONE features are lacking in polish, efficiency and overall usefulness. Usability does not equal usefulness. My bicycle is infinitely more usable than is just about any automobile on the planet today (well once you get over the whole equilibrium issue LOL). But for traveling 50 miles a day round trip to/from my office, it's not useful. I feel the same way about the iPhone.....very usable, not very useful FOR PHONE FEATURES.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
If you rarely use your iPHONE as a PHONE, then I have no quarrel with your dispute of my measurement. But I didn't buy an iGADGET or an iPODWEBSURFERTHINGIESELDOMEUSEDASAPHONE, I bought an iPHONE and as such, I feel qualified to critique that it's PHONE features are lacking in polish, efficiency and overall usefulness. Usability does not equal usefulness. My bicycle is infinitely more usable than is just about any automobile on the planet today (well once you get over the whole equilibrium issue LOL). But for traveling 50 miles a day round trip to/from my office, it's not useful. I feel the same way about the iPhone.....very usable, not very useful FOR PHONE FEATURES.
well, what's good for one person isn't necessarily good for another, right?

kylegod

Silver
Jan 1, 2008
Bethlehem, Pa

I agree. You are really splitting hairs. You are talking about steps that take much less than a second to do. The iPhone works fine as a phone.

patrick_83

Bronze
Oct 11, 2007
Illinois

How would you suggest they should do it to be more "polished" or more "efficient".