I finally give up...

Classick

Bronze
Nov 21, 2007
I'm tired of not having MMS, and I've finally decided to do whatever it takes to get it.

So uh... what exactly do I have to do?

Any risks?

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
I'm tired of not having MMS, and I've finally decided to do whatever it takes to get it.

So uh... what exactly do I have to do?

Any risks?
there are options like swirlyMMS which you can download and install after jailbreaking but its really quirky and buggy to me. I just send and receive them through email. Only other option is to buy a different phone.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
Search "swirly MMS" Im using it and its working for some folks I send and receive to and from and not working for others.... But I have noticed that more folks are getting them from me since the most recent update from Swirly. It is getting better and ALL carriers will hopefully work soon..

I'm AT&T and having trouble with some ALL TEL customers and maybe HARGRAY, as well. It's worth a shot.....

Classick

Bronze
Nov 21, 2007
Honestly, I have no idea what any of this is that I'm reading in searches. I just downloaded ZiPhoneOSX-2.5c.tbz from ZiPhone.org.

Now what? I can't seem to find an official walk through.

Remember this is a regular iPhone. No mods have ever been done to it. 1.1.4, of course.

And what is installer?

Buffy

Zealot
Gold
Jan 20, 2008
Honestly, I have no idea what any of this is that I'm reading in searches. I just downloaded ZiPhoneOSX-2.5c.tbz from ZiPhone.org.

Now what? I can't seem to find an official walk through.

Remember this is a regular iPhone. No mods have ever been done to it. 1.1.4, of course.

And what is installer?
This is the issue I have with JB. With the release of the JB from ZiPhone I'm brave enough to try it, but I need more basic info.
Can anyone direct the noobs to a thread which explains what things like 'installer' and 'summerboard', etc. are?

depthnerd

Feb 16, 2008
Okay, I ran ZiPhone and everything went fine.

Now what should I know?
Informing you on everything you NEED to know is like telling a homeless person how to manage money.

Just go into Installer and download SwirlyMMS if that's all you're after.

depthnerd

Feb 16, 2008
Well you better give me like 5 thanks for this one.:p

First, is that Installer is like your life line. Without Installer your iPhone is pretty much standard but nice looking. With Installer you can download packages and other cool stuff without having to use your computer. It automatically resprings to Summerboard after you install so you don't have to worry.

Second is SSH. You need this to connect your phone to your computer in case you want to download something that's not yet offered on Installer but is online. Accessing files is easy, I'll explain later in this post though.

Third isn't really needed but if you want to make your iPhone work as fast as it should you need to learn Terminal keys. I can't really show you since I have others tell me how to. :p Symlink is a word that means routing a folder to a different one. E.g. if you put something in var/root/ but your iPhone read var/mobile/ make a symlink form root to mobile so you don't have to move all that stuff.

Forth is running safe apps. If there's an app that messes with important stuff such as Fonts or colors etc,don't mess with it a lot IF IT'S IN BETA.

Now for SSH your login will either be:

Username: root
Password: dottie

Password: alpine

Using these matters if you are on a Mac or Windows computer. I use Cyberduck since I am a Mac user, but as a previous Widnows user I used WinSCP.

Then there's adding sources in Installer. Click the sources tab at the bottom, then hit Edit, then add. Then you simply type in the url they gave you and refresh. It will automatically refresh but do it again.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Good stuff.

I'm a recent jailbreaker (1 day old), but have gotten some advice from others. Old timers are likely tired of talking about this stuff, but here's what I've found so far that's worthy of checking out:

BSD Susbstem (many packages require this)
Summerboard (Wallpaper for your home screen, plus a lot more)
Pool (nice interface)
Tris (touch-based tetris)
Labyrinth (incredible accelerometer-based game... the old silver ball in the maze)
Chess (I'm a geek)
iPhysics (there is a whole world in this game... lots of levels designed by folks. You just have to try it to understand how incredibly cool it is. completely unique to iPhone)
Sketches (virtual etch-a-sketch... shake to erase... really cool features)
Touchpad (control PC from your iPhone)

And because I'm a musician, the killer apps for me are
Drummer
Pocket Guitar
Pianist
Metronome

Those four are all absolutely incredible, and two of them (pianist and metronome) I absolutely will use every day at the studio where I work, so I'm kicking myself for not JB'ing sooner.

kunfuzious

Bronze
Nov 3, 2007
Boulder
I've JailBroken a couple of times with 1.1.4 and the problem I keep running into is that all the apps I am trying to download say that 1.1.3 is required. That, and my key clicks and "screen lock" noise disappear along with every other sound shortly after i have been jailbroken.

Classick

Bronze
Nov 21, 2007
Well you better give me like 5 thanks for this one.:p

First, is that Installer is like your life line. Without Installer your iPhone is pretty much standard but nice looking. With Installer you can download packages and other cool stuff without having to use your computer. It automatically resprings to Summerboard after you install so you don't have to worry.

Second is SSH. You need this to connect your phone to your computer in case you want to download something that's not yet offered on Installer but is online. Accessing files is easy, I'll explain later in this post though.

Third isn't really needed but if you want to make your iPhone work as fast as it should you need to learn Terminal keys. I can't really show you since I have others tell me how to. :p Symlink is a word that means routing a folder to a different one. E.g. if you put something in var/root/ but your iPhone read var/mobile/ make a symlink form root to mobile so you don't have to move all that stuff.

Forth is running safe apps. If there's an app that messes with important stuff such as Fonts or colors etc,don't mess with it a lot IF IT'S IN BETA.

Now for SSH your login will either be:

Password: dottie

Password: alpine

Using these matters if you are on a Mac or Windows computer. I use Cyberduck since I am a Mac user, but as a previous Widnows user I used WinSCP.

Then there's adding sources in Installer. Click the sources tab at the bottom, then hit Edit, then add. Then you simply type in the url they gave you and refresh. It will automatically refresh but do it again.
THANK YOU
THANK YOU
THANK YOU
THANK YOU
THANK YOU

Okay I so I called AT&T today to activate my MMS service. The guy was giving me hard time, but eventually said he wanted to test out a 200 message package for $5.

Buffy

Zealot
Gold
Jan 20, 2008
Good stuff.
I'm a recent jailbreaker (1 day old), but have gotten some advice from others. Old timers are likely tired of talking about this stuff, but here's what I've found so far that's worthy of checking out:
I hear (read) a lot of talk about drop-and-dragging folders when it comes to JB - how much of this is done on the phone, and how much is done on the computer (even once you've JB'd)

depthnerd

Feb 16, 2008
I hear (read) a lot of talk about drop-and-dragging folders when it comes to JB - how much of this is done on the phone, and how much is done on the computer (even once you've JB'd)
Do you mean via SSH to put files on your phone?

It's only done when you really need to backup something, or installing a theme. Besides that it's usually one file that you edited or someone else edited for you.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
THANK YOU
THANK YOU
THANK YOU
THANK YOU
THANK YOU

Okay I so I called AT&T today to activate my MMS service. The guy was giving me hard time, but eventually said he wanted to test out a 200 message package for $5.
click the little thanks button at the bottom of his very helpful post. even though he can be a pain, he deserves proper credit where credit is due. ;)