i found an iPhone but I can't turn it on

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Sep 26, 2007
I found an iPhone but I can't seem to turn it on. I pressed all the buttons and none of them work. Any ideas on what I should do?

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston
yeah man, if you "found" and iPhone, the best thing you could do is go to the Apple store and return it.

the owner is probably losing his/her mind at this very moment and maybe if you go to an Apple store they can find out to whom it belongs. or maybe even an AT&T store.

and if you try those two things, and neither find the owner, i say it's yours.

mjeagent

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Northern Virginia
I'm trusting that the reason he/she is asking how to turn it on is because they are trying to get the persons information to return it. I am sure whoever lost it has already disconnected service.

I'm sure this person will do the right thing. I don't think someone who would act immorally would take the time to come here and make a public post.

Have faith in people (some of us are still good).

petalmom

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
I'm trusting that the reason he/she is asking how to turn it on is because they are trying to get the persons information to return it. I am sure whoever lost it has already disconnected service.

I'm sure this person will do the right thing. I don't think someone who would act immorally would take the time to come here and make a public post.

Have faith in people (some of us are still good).
I want some of what you're smoking :)

Seriously, I hope that you're right.

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston
i'm not so sure.
we all know what the "right" thing to do is but do people really use their morale compass anymore?

i'm for him returning it but i would say that over 50% of america wouldn't.

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
Does this whole thing not look REMARKABLY familiar? Every couple weeks some person with 1 post pops in to say they found an iPhone and then asks what to do. Consistently, forum regulars start climbing up behind their podiums to preach the gospel of the Golden Rule. Please just ignore these posts, and for heaven's sake, don't repeat history and let this devolve into another ranting, shaming, preaching, accusatory thread...

Please?

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston
Does this whole thing not look REMARKABLY familiar? Every couple weeks some person with 1 post pops in to say they found an iPhone and then asks what to do. Consistently, forum regulars start climbing up behind their podiums to preach the gospel of the Golden Rule. Please just ignore these posts, and for heaven's sake, don't repeat history and let this devolve into another ranting, shaming, preaching, accusatory thread...

Please?
either way he is probably going to figure it out :\

mjeagent

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Northern Virginia

Please?
Don't remember seeing another post like this.

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston
i doubt it. the first thing id wanna do with a free iPhone is play with it, not get contact info!
that's also a good point, but it also depends on if you already own one or not, but in this guys case, he (obviously) doesn't. before owning an iPhone i would most likely try to turn it on, but now that i have one, i would look for the best way to return it to its owner.

it just reminds me of the other day at school in the cafe when i found a wallet. it was just a stranded wallet next to a computer that i noticed when i walked in. a few minutes after watching it to see if the owner was coming back, i decided to give it to the worker in the cafe. i didn't check the license or even to see if there was any money in it. i guess i was trying to resist temptation or something like that. and with all that said, i'm not even sure if what i did was the best way to get it back to its owner, but hey, at least i tried.

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
iPhonian, I see you also suffer the dreaded Nikon disease. I shoot two D200s, but I really want one of the new D2Xs. What do you shoot? I really enjoy birds which means I have biglensitis, too - the worst of all conditions. The worst part is that my mentor is slowly starting to convince me that Canon may be onto something. Check out Arthur Morris' images sometime. He was a LATE digital bloomer, too. Amazing stuff.

Can't wait to put a LightRoom slideshow on my iPhone :laugh2:

Sep 26, 2007
For those of you trying to help.. thanks... I'm sure the owner will be grateful.

I just reported it on ifoundyouriPhone.com - we'll see what happens. I'm not sure where an Apple store is. For those of you criticizing me for trying to find the owner, I'm sure you will change your tune if you lose yours.

and... of course its my first post am I supposed to be some kind of super user in order to give back an iPhone to an owner who lost one? Very dissapointing.