I got a new iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by EverythingApple, Jun 27, 2013.

1. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

I got my iPhone 5 replaced today. They would not replace it because of this issue here. Than I recalled that I was still having the wifi bug, so I brought it back. Wish I would've remembered this when I had the last appt.

The Genius checked to see what wifi networks I could get and only the Apple store showed up. He said I should've been able to get others like the free mall and Sephora wifi. So, he replaced it. He thought it would be on 6.1.3, but it's on 6.1.4. He said that if this doesn't resolve my issue, I should wait for the next update or even upgrade my home wifi router.

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

What did they say about the charging problem?

I thought we eliminated your router as the culprit when you tested wifi on other networks and experienced the same problem.

3. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Not sure if you've mentioned it previously, but what model router do you own?

4. EverythingApple

Gold

I posted in the chirping thread what they did. They cleaned it with an exacto knife.

Yes, I did test on other networks, home and work. But, they use the same router.

Sent using iCafe app

5. EverythingApple

Gold

Verizon FiOS router. See model and number below. ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1372366847.413623.jpg

Sent using iCafe app

6. EverythingApple

Gold

But, with the new phone, I had to remove my front ghost armor and install the screen protector that came with SGP case. It's got air bubbles that I can't stand, but will have the ghost armor front installed on Saturday.

Sent using iCafe app

7. EverythingApple

Gold

Chris, talking to Verizon chat, they recommended the Verizon MI424WR GigE wireless-N router for a one time fee of $79.99.

Should I do it? My current router didn't cost me anything. And will this router make my wifi network stronger.

Sent using iCafe app

8. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Sounds like Verizon trying to make $80 off of you, to me.

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Have you considered an AirPort Express or AirPort Extreme? I got one in April and I'm really happy with it. I love how it integrates with my iMac.

10. EverythingApple

Gold

I had one before I got fios. Thanks for the reminder. I think ill try that. I wonder if my old one will work.

Sent using iCafe app

11. EverythingApple

Gold

My AirPort Express will not connect to my network. I will buy a newer one. Mine is from 2007.

Or. I might try adding another router as a bridge before I spend more money.

Sent using iCafe app

12. EverythingApple

Gold

I purchased an Advanced Router from Verizon FiOS and now I'm getting wifi where I didn't before. I hope it lasts.

Sent using iCafe app

13. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

My linksys router is about on it's last leg I believe. I'm debating whether to get one of these, or possibly the Time Capsule for the additional storage. My MPB currently has 80 GB available and my Mac Mini has 197 GB Free.

14. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I have an ASUS RT-66, which people rave about. I don't know, I think for consistency, you cannot be the Airport Extreme. I had the older model and never had any issues, other than my wanting to expand coverage in my home. Ever since getting the ASUS, I've had issues with my TiVos dropping connection and just odd stuff. I blame the ASUS. At some point, I'll sell it off and jump to the Extreme. I don't have time to mess with a router and I think the ASUS appeals to tweakers.