I got Emoticons on stock!

Picazzo

Zealot
Gold
Jan 21, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
This is somehow crazy! I went to The iPhone Blog and read about Frostyplace - an App in AppStore. You install it, go through the Japanese news feed for 1 minute, close the App, re-open and go through 5 news feed again and close it.

Now to the magic!

1. Go into your iPhone "Settings" -> "General"
2. Under "Keyboards" -> "International Keyboards"
3 Chose Japanese and enable the "Emoji-symbols.

When you type something, and want use the Emoji/Emoticons - then just hit the globe on your keyboard!

Yeah - it cost 0,99$...but I ratter have this installed than something that farts, and yes you can only use it on iPhones and iPod touch - but it still nice to have this option.

Jul 6, 2007
Marietta, GA
about.me
I was just going to post on this lol. I got mine by jailbreaking, but i restored and they are still there! My friend just told me about this app which is how I found out. I think iJustine twittered it.

Btw only iPhones/iPod Touches can see the emoji, not computers.

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
yeah, there was a jailbreak app that enabled them. but nobody else seemed to be able to see them. so i don't really see the point in that....

Jul 6, 2007
Marietta, GA
about.me
iPhones can see them even if they cant send them. Before my friend got emoji he could see the ones i sent him. You just have to be on 2.2

harleygold

Bronze
Jul 26, 2008
Anderson, IN
Hey thanks for sharing this info! Always thought you had to be JB'd to do so. 

harleygold

Bronze
Jul 26, 2008
Anderson, IN
One more thing. If Apple decided to update the iPhone, do we lose the emoticons?

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
iPhones can see them even if they cant send them. Before my friend got emoji he could see the ones i sent him. You just have to be on 2.2
well, i kinda figured that much, but i don't know anyone else who has an iPhone

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
It costs a dollar...
What do these emoticons look like?

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
im on a 2.2 jb v1 i got the app, did what it said to do and it does not work for me... suggestions?

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
im on a 2.2 jb v1 i got the app, did what it said to do and it does not work for me... suggestions?
I don't have the app yet, but I have read where you may have to go through the steps 3-4 times before it will work.

"If it doesn’t work the first time, continue playing with the app. Be sure to click on a few stories and click on the bottom two icons. Also, I believe you have to be updated to iPhone’s 2.2 firmware."

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
I don't have the app yet, but I have read where you may have to go through the steps 3-4 times before it will work.

"If it doesn’t work the first time, continue playing with the app. Be sure to click on a few stories and click on the bottom two icons. Also, I believe you have to be updated to iPhone’s 2.2 firmware."

since im jb this might not work then?

if so that is lame, oh well .99 that i don't have now :(

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Arron Hirst, who has a blog on the iPhone, has confirmed that you can delete the app once you get it working if you so desire.

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
well if i can get it to work, i don't have to delete it, i can use the bossprefs to hide it ;)

but i cannot get it to work, can we get a jb confirmation that it'll work

Jul 6, 2007
Marietta, GA
about.me
well if i can get it to work, i don't have to delete it, i can use the bossprefs to hide it ;)

but i cannot get it to work, can we get a jb confirmation that it'll work
JJ there is an app in Cydia that does the same thing, but you don't have to play around with an app lol. All you have to do is "install" it and then go into the settings app to enable the emoji keyboard. And its free!

Oh and the question about updating, I had my iPhone jailbroken with the emoji enabled and then I restored it and i still have them so I assume updating wont affect it either.

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
now that i think about it , i don't like that this was done, what other $hit is being put on our phones that we don't know about?

Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
I got the app, I played with it for a few minutes and it worked the first time for me. I also deleted the app and the keyboard is still there, so for 99 cents, its not bad to have it. I blew my wife's mind when she saw the pics. (haven't installed it on her iPhone yet)

pn.md

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
still no go for me
I'm on 2.2 and jailbroken and works fine. I opened a few stories, enabled emojicon and now emoticons work with SMS. iPhone friends want to know how I did it. LOL ;)