I got this old Mac from the office today

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
I saved this old girl from certain death today. It's an old Powerbook G3 with a 400mhz processor, 1MB cache, 64MB RAM, 6GB HDD and 8MB video card. It runs like a top!

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it other than look at it, play with it online a little... who knows. It's just a cool old machine. :)

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
Free of course! They were throwing them out and so I took the pick of the litter and brought it home to play with. :)

Jul 18, 2007
Nice find. Its great when you come across stuff like this. I found an iMac G4 on ebay,£100 ( approx $180) , stated as not working.Bought it and went to collect it, the guy had no Apple mouse or keyboard so paid £80 ($150 approx)for it.
Got it home, installed OSX on it,wireless card in and it works like a dream :laugh2::laugh2:

Martlet

Bronze
Jul 11, 2007
It has S-video out.

Add a USB bluetooth dongle, wireless keyboard and mouse, and install the hacked Frontrow for it, and you have a perfect video/music server and DVD player.

At least, that's what we did with the one we had with a broken screen for a long long time.

DRabbit

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
I saved this old girl from certain death today. It's an old Powerbook G3 with a 400mhz processor, 1MB cache, 64MB RAM, 6GB HDD and 8MB video card. It runs like a top!

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m167/tharmsen/old_mac.jpg

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it other than look at it, play with it online a little... who knows. It's just a cool old machine. :)
If you don't need it, find a kid that could use it... One that's family doesn't have a lot of money for example. Donate it to someone who really needs it. I do that often with equipment I replace or get through work. It's truly a nice thing to do and will make you feel good that it goes to someone who really needs and appreciates it.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I had the same Mac years back at old job. Thought I was he man!:laugh2: Now it looks ancient, but I wouldn't never send a Mac to it's demise.

-Chris

PhatKid

Bronze
Jul 25, 2007
Good job. I got a kinda half destroyed Powerbook from work. I need to fix it or have it fixed because the screen is broken off on one side and I guess the computer thinks it's closed so it doesn't turn on. It's nice to have, though, even though I haven't touched it in months.

cj sparrow

Bronze
Jul 24, 2007
Colorado
Mac User Groups

Depending on where you live, check out to see if there is a MUG nearby. These guys can really help you get the most from this "antique".