I guess my iPad 3 is toast

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Leo

Zealot
Silver
Nov 9, 2008
Calgary, AB
So I misplaced my iPad 3 for over a month or two, and recently found it under my rear car seat while cleaning my car. It was dead, but that was expected. It's still in perfect shape as I have the Smart Cover on it. So I plug it into the wall to charge it, and about 10 minutes later it turns on saying the iPad "can't be activated". I assumed as this is due to it running the iOS 6 Beta, and it has expired, but regardless I had to go to work and decided to let it charge. I come home and the iPad is SUPER HOT, and only at...19% battery life, yet being on the charger for over 6 hours. The screen was off, so I don't understand how it could have so little battery life still yet being on the charger this whole time. It was still showing the activation screen just as I left it after I unplugged it, as it was displaying the "iPad temperature is too hot" error message prior to that...but I think the temperature changes in my car might have screwed up the battery as I was literally watching my iPad drop 1% every 15 seconds.

My gut tells me I have no choice but to return this to the Apple Store, but was wondering if anyone had a similar experience and knows a way to fix it to save me an hour-long drive to the nearest Apple Store?

Leo

Zealot
Silver
Nov 9, 2008
Calgary, AB
I forgot to mention, I've attempted doing a restore on the iPad, however the battery won't last long enough to complete the process, if plugged into the computer.

raqball

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 30, 2011
So. California
My only thought is that maybe the heat in the car caused the battery to fry and a trip to Apple will probably be needed...

It sucks but look on the bright side, at least you found it! :)