I Hate Screen Protectors :@

RossMc

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2009
Newcastle, UK
I am deffinatly going to keep my 3GS without a screen protector I have decided !, My order from MyGearStore just came today I ordered a Iskin Solo FX and a pack of 3 Casemate Screen Protectors. I have been trying for about two hours to get one fitted properly. I got them all lined up right all the bubbles out etc but as soon as I put either My Incase Slider or the Iskin Solo FX on it ended up causing bubbles on the edges of the screen protector and no matter what I did or how many times I tried to put it on it just kept happening:mad:

In the end I ended up ripping all of the screen protectors up and binning them as it got me to stressed LOL

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
I am deffinatly going to keep my 3GS without a screen protector I have decided !, My order from MyGearStore just came today I ordered a Iskin Solo FX and a pack of 3 Casemate Screen Protectors. I have been trying for about two hours to get one fitted properly. I got them all lined up right all the bubbles out etc but as soon as I put either My Incase Slider or the Iskin Solo FX on it ended up causing bubbles on the edges of the screen protector and no matter what I did or how many times I tried to put it on it just kept happening:mad:

In the end I ended up ripping all of the screen protectors up and binning them as it got me to stressed LOL
Oh WOW! That is horrible. I know how that feels. I finally caved in and got a screen protector and put it on my iPhone 3Gs because I could not take the friggin smudges and wipe off every few minutes and the dust that accumulated on the sides of the screen. AND my husband was going ape sh*t about the smudging. He doesn't have the luxury I have with carrying a microfiber cloth and cleaning my screen whenever I want to. He can't do that. Poor thing. He had been demanding the screen protector we had on our 3G's back and I kept telling him just hang in there take a microfiber cloth with you yadda yadda. He wasn't having any of that so i purchased two Clearprotectors and slapped it on his phone this weekend. HE WAS SO HAPPY! The phone is much better with it. I caved in when i saw how nice his phone was with it. No smudges and no dust accumulation. I had to do it to my phone as well. AH! I am glad I did. I put it on his and then I put one on mine. I tried to hold out for about an hour but I couldn't do it.

The Clearprotector is a great screen protector. I change them about every two months. They last longer than that I am just anal and I change them. I want it crisp. My husband keeps his on for what seems like ever.

I get them on the Bay (eBay) if you're intested. I always used them even with my old flip Motorola phones and the LG's I have had. I just think this protector is the bees knees for me.

Oh yeah, and it works with the Incase Sliders with no problem. I have no lifting at all because it sticks on the screen. I don't use the required (suggested) install with the wet hands and water sprays. I never ever install these protectors with the water at all. It just sticks to the screen and that is good enough for me. Plus, to me, it's easier to maneuver the sheild without the fear of water damage. Plus it protects soo well against scratches and dings. I have had some nasty scratches that the Clearprotector took and left my screen free and clear of scratches. Also, when it comes off, it comes off clean. Leaves no residue at all.

Good luck to you. Don't give up on the shield thing. If you want to protect your screen, this Clearprotector is not a bad choice.

RossMc

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2009
Newcastle, UK
Do you have a link to the one which you use?

I typed Clear Protector in eBay and it came back with lots of diffrent ones.

hinky

Bronze
Jul 10, 2009
I hate condoms but you don't see that stopping me from using them. ;) That said, be careful, follow the instructions carefuly, have some patience, and the end result can be exhilarating.

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
the end result can be exhilarating.
Ive never heard the use of a screen protector being described as exhilarating before... I ahte them to. The 3GS' screen feels so much better naked! :sneaky:

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
Do you have a link to the one which you use?

I typed Clear Protector in eBay and it came back with lots of diffrent ones.

Sure thing! here is the auciton where I got mine from just recently.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390077690333&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

You can make an offer. Make it 8.95 and they will accept it. They ship quickly. I got mine on Saturday and put them right on.

Scratch that 8.95 offer. I see they are on sale! You stand a chance at getting them much cheaper than I did! AWESOME!

I should get in there and get a few more at those prices!

hitrho5

Bronze
Jun 26, 2008
Florida
People, People.....Can't we all just agree that screen protectors suck!?

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
i hate screen protectors as well. However, my 3gs has developed a couple small scratches which to the normal person would probably be nothing, but I'm OCD about stuff like that. My v1 and iPhone 3G never developed scratches on the screen and I never really needed a protector but I have gone ahead and put one on the 3gs to prevent any other scratches. I HATE it as it just doesn't have the same feel with a protector on.

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
i hate screen protectors as well. However, my 3gs has developed a couple small scratches which to the normal person would probably be nothing, but I'm OCD about stuff like that. My v1 and iPhone 3G never developed scratches on the screen and I never really needed a protector but I have gone ahead and put one on the 3gs to prevent any other scratches. I HATE it as it just doesn't have the same feel with a protector on.
You're right about that. It doesn't have the same feel at all. I was lovin my smooth 3Gs feeling, but I had to do it. I don't hate the protectors at all. I got used to them and they save my screen from some precarious situations during my commute. That's for sure. Especially in the winter when I have to be quick and throw things in my pocket cause its too dag on cold, or when the salt somehow gets on my phone and I have no idea how that happened. Or, there is so much construction near my home that the sand or whatever that stuff is gets on my screen, at least with the protector, I don't worry about those surprise pieces of debris that miraculously gets on my screen. I am glad I have the protector.

hinky

Bronze
Jul 10, 2009
The crystal meth screen protector in the Apple store (which comes with 2) is actually very usable and your finger can slide very smoothly across the screen. I think that if you don't get used to the phone naked you'll be very happy with a screen protector. Unlike other activities, once it's on and you're used to the experience, it's all good.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
The crystal meth screen protector in the Apple store (which comes with 2) is actually very usable and your finger can slide very smoothly across the screen. I think that if you don't get used to the phone naked you'll be very happy with a screen protector. Unlike other activities, once it's on and you're used to the experience, it's all good.
lol i knew someone was gonna go there...

RossMc

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2009
Newcastle, UK
Sure thing! here is the auciton where I got mine from just recently.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390077690333&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

You can make an offer. Make it 8.95 and they will accept it. They ship quickly. I got mine on Saturday and put them right on.

Scratch that 8.95 offer. I see they are on sale! You stand a chance at getting them much cheaper than I did! AWESOME!

I should get in there and get a few more at those prices!
Thanks, I have ordered one

May aswell give it a try it was only £5 somthing in after converting from Dollars to Pounds that was including the shipping and I had £7 in my Paypal which has been there for a while so I will give it a try when it arrives.

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
Thanks, I have ordered one

May aswell give it a try it was only £5 somthing in after converting from Dollars to Pounds that was including the shipping and I had £7 in my Paypal which has been there for a while so I will give it a try when it arrives.
Great for you! I really hope it works out for you. Just take your time in putting it on. It's not hard. I usually line up the ear piece hole on the front and work from there. The bottom circle never seems to line up with the cut out but that doesn't stop me. It's still great coverage.

Mar 2, 2009
California
I've never had a problem with my screen protector. The only time I've had problems is when dirt and dust start to get underneath, causing me to replace it with a new one since it will no longer adhere to the device any longer. I'm on my second one so far.

I'd rather have dirt and dust get under the screen protector rather than on the inside of the screen to where I can never get rid of it unless I have the screen removed professionally.

Now, which do you prefer; to protect or not to protect? :p

eye-Fone

Zealot
Gold
Jul 5, 2008
Sunny, southern California.
Use a Screen Protector! (a GOOD one)

I have been using smartphone screen protectors for over five years now. When I bought the iPhone 3G, there was no doubt I would get a screen protector.

The reason why many folks have such bad luck with them is because they buy the inexpensive (read: "cheap") ones. Just because you can get a five-pack for USD$19 doesn't make it a good buy. There's a reason why they include so many in one package--they don't last! They will start to peel around the edges; they start to form bubbles underneath; the actual surface becomes cloudy; etc. You will find yourself changing the protector every couple of months. That's insane!

I recommend that you pay a bit more (per sheet) because they are higher quality and you really never have to change them. Back in the day, I would upgrade smartphones before I would wear-out a screen protector. I've had screen protectors (good ones) last well over a year.

On my iPhone 3G, I use the "Power Support Crystal Film" (USD$14.95) that Apple endorses. They have them at your local Apple store as well as online. I had one of these protectors on for one year and it outlasted my first iPhone. I returned the phone a few weeks ago (vibrator switch broke off) and received a replacement phone. I took the second protector out of the package and applied it--starting yet another year-plus worth of protection.

This particular protector, once applied, is virtually invisible. You won't even know it is on the device--you can't feel it and it doesn't affect any of the iPhone's functionality.

So, bottom line is, "you get what you pay for" :dft008:surprised

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I'm in the exact same boat. I have two different types of SGP Steinheil screen protectors (that free2rhyme recommended) in the mail. In the past, I was never able to keep a screen protector on for more than 30 seconds because I hated the way it made the screen look, so hopefully these are better. If I don't like them, I'm going to try the Power Support Crystal Film set that is recommended by eye-fone, but I'm 99% sure it was one of the ones I tried before and didn't like.

Either way, the 3GS screen does scratch easier than the 3G IMO, so I want to prevent further scratches.

hinky

Bronze
Jul 10, 2009
What didn't you like about the crystal film? I have the glare resistant one too and, if you don't care for chaning the bare look, you will hate it. I really have had no problem with the crystal and color and finger glide excellent. I'm also new so hard to tell.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
What didn't you like about the crystal film? I have the glare resistant one too and, if you don't care for chaning the bare look, you will hate it. I really have had no problem with the crystal and color and finger glide excellent. I'm also new so hard to tell.
I can't remember if it was the anti glare or crystal film that I tried. But either way, I didn't like how it decreased the clarity and overall aesthetic appearance of the images on the screen as well as making it apparent that the image is really behind the glass. Normally, the images appear as they on right on the surface of the screen, the screen protector killed this illusion as I could now see that they were a few millimeters behind the screen. It functioned fine, I just didn't like how it looked.

But now that I have a scratch on my 3GS, I'm changing my priorities and going to protect the screen from further scratches.

btitus

Contributor
Silver
Apr 7, 2009
North Carolina
I never used screen protectors until I got my 3G in April. I had gone for years with just leaving the screens of my Palm Treos naked. I still haven't mastered the art of getting all of the bubbles out yet!

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
I can't remember if it was the anti glare or crystal film that I tried. But either way, I didn't like how it decreased the clarity and overall aesthetic appearance of the images on the screen as well as making it apparent that the image is really behind the glass. Normally, the images appear as they on right on the surface of the screen, the screen protector killed this illusion as I could now see that they were a few millimeters behind the screen. It functioned fine, I just didn't like how it looked.

But now that I have a scratch on my 3GS, I'm changing my priorities and going to protect the screen from further scratches.
Sounds like you had the anti-glare protector installed. That's basically what happens with those.

Did you order both the crystal and anti-glare Steinheils? I actually received mine on Monday (crystal clear) and am very pleased with them.

Initially I was somewhat disappointed because I wasted one of the two out of the package because of lint. This has never happened to me with PS so I was a bit skeptical.

The second one went on like a charm and fits perfectly, has no bubbles or lint trapped underneath and after using it for a couple days now I have to agree with ftr these are the best I've ever used.

The adhesive is rather strong so take your time when applying. Now that it's on there I'm sure it will stay on until I eventually end up retiring the phone.